Chemical Spillage follows road accident in East Pattaya

webfact

Chemical Spillage follows road accident in East Pattaya

truck-2.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Highly concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide leaked from a container which was attached to a truck which jackknifed due to adverse road conditions in East Pattaya on Thursday afternoon.

The accident occurred on Highway 36 in the Pong area just before 5pm on Thursday. The truck was carrying two containers full of Hydrogen Peroxide which was being transported from Rayong to Laem Chabang. The hazardous chemical was intended to be used in the production of milk cartons.

The driver of the truck, Khun Sompong aged 49, claimed heavy rain caused the truck to jackknife. There was no indication from Police if the truck was travelling too fast at the time of the accident.

Hydrogen Peroxide leaked out of one of the containers which was overturned in the central reservation, causing it to oxidize which in-turn created hazardous smoke. Representatives of the company who transported the chemical, Solvay Peroxythai Limited, arrived at the scene and advised firefighters to dilute the bubbling liquid with water.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/211709/chemical-spillage-follows-road-accident-in-east-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-08-14

Jack knifed with enough force to dislodge the 2 containers from the trailer. Either he was traveling fast or the containers were not properly secured, or both.

As to what caused the jack knife, I suspect not driving to the conditions might have something to do with that.

"The driver of the truck, Khun Sompong aged 49, claimed heavy rain caused the truck to jackknife"

No it did not - Sompong's inability to drive with any respect for the road conditions caused the truck to jackknife!

We often see these container transports in traffic here (KK). Since noticing long ago that containers were not fastened at all, just sitting on the flatbeds, we've never spotted a single one that was properly secured. Might be an important factor in this spillage.

We often see these container transports in traffic here (KK). Since noticing long ago that containers were not fastened at all, just sitting on the flatbeds, we've never spotted a single one that was properly secured. Might be an important factor in this spillage.

Unlikely that they are just sitting on the flatbed, they would not get far before they rattled off. There are twist locks under the trailer bed so you will not see any straps or chains.That being said, the twist locks only prevent them sliding off under normal conditions, usually give way quite readily in the event of a serious jackknife or overturn.

chemical ...lol

hydrogen peroxide .... what could happen ? when it comes into contact with something ... it becomes ... WATER + OXYGEN

Depending on the concentration of the stuff (as it was transported as a chemical, probably pretty strong) it can be quite dangerous, and seriously carcinogenic.

http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1015.pdf

"The driver of the truck, Khun Sompong aged 49, claimed heavy rain caused the truck to jackknife"

No it did not - Sompong's inability to drive with any respect for the road conditions caused the truck to jackknife!

I've never seen heavy rain causing any vehicle to jackknife unless the vehicle was moving with enough kinetic energy to facilitate such an occurrence. In other words, his truck was going too fast. Which is entirely normal on Thai roads whatever the conditions. So I suppose his explanation makes sense (to him).

Articulated trucks do not just jack knife for no reason!

I think he probably neglected to say that he maybe braked very hard whilst traveling to fast in the adverse conditions.

It is also quite scary to think of incidents like this relatively small scale accident probably caused by unqualified drivers, when one looks at what has just happened in China. If what happened in China on a relatively small industrial area, where to happen in Mapthaput, it would be Goodbye Rayong !!!

]pics from about a year ago at IRPC on outskirts of Rayong.

post-115850-0-30160900-1439573277_thumb.post-115850-0-06118800-1439573319_thumb.post-115850-0-30160900-1439573277_thumb.post-115850-0-48494600-1439573421_thumb.post-115850-0-52783700-1439573511_thumb.

Do you feel the worry when you look at the employees who build and run such plants as those in Mapthaput and other areas on the Eastern Seaboard industrial estates, and then think about what would happen if they should ever have a nuclear power industry here?????

Let us all pray, that the authorities will think hard about what has happened in China and start to take control of industrial hazards, instead of brown envelopes under the tables of power, and not waste time issuing fines and penalties for trivialities such as foam clockwork keys fixed to little cars etc etc

Edited by daiwill60

Articulated trucks do not just jack knife for no reason!

I agree. They jackknife due to no brakes on the heavy trailer. I was a kid in my Dad's log truck once when it happened in Florida. Pop's cousin was driving & it scared us both to death. Luckily the trailer was empty and it stopped before any damage was done.

Saw it happen in the US Army when a couple admin pukes signed out a tractor-trailer rig & had no idea how to hook up the air brakes.

Saw it happen a third time in my rear view mirror to a truck 100 yards back in an Army convoy.

I was a lowly buck Sgt but I ran it up the flag pole & made it my mission to inspect every damned trailer brake I could find.

I was in maintenance & all the "paperwork" said everything was OK.....but obviously was NOT.

I had paperwork elevated to the Brigade level, despite many folks telling me to shut up about it.

It never ends though........

I still cannot believe that some people, somehow feel good about paying taxes.

If a private industry had done what the US EPA just did, they'd be facing BILLIONS of USD in fines and 25 years of court cases.

The "Environmental Protection Agency" does this and all we get is "Oops! Sorry 'bout that".

Don't bash the Thai's about this one, as it certainly happens everywhere.

Toxic mine water accidentally released by EPA in Colorado river flows south

Edited by jaywalker