TOT Network Outage

RichCor

OK, which one of you tripped over the Internet cable this time.

Experiencing a major partial outage here in Northern Thailand.

All three of my diverse DNS servers went unreachable, including Google's Public DNS 8.8.8.8

Ran a connectivity test and found Apple Beenets and Google Public 8.8.4.4 still functioning.

About half of the 240 ISP DNS servers I can directly test via DNS Bench show as unreachable.

Can actually connect via the working DNS servers to some US sites, but not others. Sites hosted in Thailand seem to work. Very odd.

May have been a local TOT switching router issue then.

Most of the DNS 2000 DNS my local measuring tool tracks are accessible again to me locally (at 1920 hours).

I had my router set to use a local ISP, a peered ISP and Google's Public DNS Servers.

At around 1515 everything slowed to a grinding halt. A quick test revealed that the DNS servers were unavailable, but many direct IP queries still worked.

Switching to alternate DNS Entries for the local ISP and Google Public got it back up, until those too failed 10 minutes later.

Did an evaluation of about 2000 asian-based DNS Servers and found only about 20 still accessible and answering.

Initially had issues pulling up websites, some would work while other didn't, but that cleared up after half an hour.

I find partial outages fascinating. Makes me wonder what one piece of equipment, router table, or router filter failed to create this connectivity issue.

It's all back up for me now. Luckily no one else on ThaiVisa seems to have been similarly affected.

I experienced a bad spell this afternoon in Chiang Rai but did something else for a while and when I came back everything was normal. Sometimes I switch to my iPhone for a while if I really want to check on something but it doesn't bother me to be offline for a short while.

I posted in the general forum about two thai news websites being down - Bangkok Post and Chiang Mai News. Somone posted a reply to say they'd seen someone having connection issues with TOT, it was obviously this post.

I'm in Issan on TOT, and since 8am Sunday BKK Post has been unreachable. I tried tracert in a dosbox, and about halfway down the results everything was unreachable.

It's still the same now, almost 24 hours later.

Oddly enough if I access BKK post on my Andriod, it works, and that's using the same TOT connection. It must be routed to a different site than the main website, I'd guess.

Just called TOT and asked them if they have a network problem, they said they do, and they're working on it.

Archived