Returning to Thailand, I'm an Expat. no thai bank, living in hotels. Need help @ sim registration

AmericanRunner

I am needing help in plotting out what I'm going to do about this nonscence aka simcard registration.

--

Are we still able to purchase cellphones & sims willy nilly at places like Mega Bagna and 7-11 w/o having to fill out tidious forms, etc just to purchase?

I'm just going to "backpack" outta hotels coming and going to tourist locations etc, what do I do abut not having a permenant Thai address? No thai bank? (I remember not being able to signup for D-TAC high speed data promos b/c i didn't have a thai bank)

--

For those of you who already registered; what was the process? What information did you take? Was it as simple as showing up at the police station and flashing your passport whilst filling out paperwork? What EXACTLY did you do?

I didn't like the idea of having to register my sim, but walked into AIS at Central and showed passport, very helpful gal handled everything, no forms, no address, in and out and they sorted my internet package as well. All in all very easy.

You will also have to report to the immigration every time you change location/hotel within 24 hours, by law that is.

Sim card just needs passport, 5 minutes and a nice English speaking Thai at any mobile phone shop.

And by the way you don't sound like an expat to me ..expats live and or work in Thailand. I think you could fairly classify yourself as a tourist.

Not all expats work in Thailand .

And your point is ? You never read what he wrote did you ?

But let me help you "and/or " is the key bit

And by the way you don't sound like an expat to me ..expats live and or work in Thailand. I think you could fairly classify yourself as a tourist.

But if he's not an expat 'in the context of Thailand', why mention it at all? It adds no relevant information and is in fact potentially misleading. Saying 'I'm a tourist' or 'I'll be on holiday in Thailand' is more relevant and accurate.

My tourist friend just bought a Dtac happy SIM card at 7-11 and had to show his passport to get it registered right there at 7-11. No problems or address.

I registered several older DTAC and True Sim cards at Dtac and True shops. In most cases just had to show my passport an no address.

You will also have to report to the immigration every time you change location/hotel within 24 hours, by law that is.

Sim card just needs passport, 5 minutes and a nice English speaking Thai at any mobile phone shop.

If he is staying in hotels, it's their responsibility to report his address.

Stay home you are not a expat,,,,,,an a expat lives in Thailand/work in Thailand,,,, cheesy.gif

Some expats live in, or live/work in Cambodia or Philippines or Costa Rica etc.... Not all expats live in Thailand. I know expats that live in Philippines and another couple that bought property in Costa Rica and moved there.

Edited by Catoni

I was just making a point about expat terminology...at the moment my wife and I are in South America, where I am working and where we have a temporary apartment. However I don't classify myself as an expat here as I live in Thailand, I just consider myself as a temporary worker. I know it's confusing for us all..what really is an expat.

I live in Thailand, register that as my home address and call it my point of hire but I'm still not sure if I'm an expat.

And your point is ? You never read what he wrote did you ?

But let me help you "and/or " is the key bit

No, but as stated, a lot of us LIVE here.