Solar Panels in CNX / Storable Food

JT65

Hi All

The wife and I have a property in the Never Never of Mae Hong Son.

In the rainy season it can be isolated for long periods of time due to flooding and roads been cut.

Trying to make it stand alone with Solar Panels , Generators and Water Tanks etc. Also need to have good supply of storable food.

Ive sorted the water tanks etc already. Now looking at Solar Panels. Have had quotes from Green Solar / Engineo on Chang Puak Rd, who seemed professional and had a number of options.

Im keen to get further quotations on panels , inverters etc.

Has anyone else had experience with this supplier or know of any others?

Also any tips on storable food would be good. I don't know if Thailand has any long term storable food companies like the USA. Cant seem to find any on the web.

I was thinking rice, dried fruits, pork jerky. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

JT65

Can not help with the stored food question but amazed your wife would consider such as being fit to eat - know my wife would not. Freshness seems to be the most important thing for most Thai. There would be no market access?

But perhaps she is of the younger generation - grandchildren do seem to be able to eat my frozen dinners without issues (but frozen would not be an option with solar power).

Can not help with the stored food question but amazed your wife would consider such as being fit to eat - know my wife would not. Freshness seems to be the most important thing for most Thai. There would be no market access?

But perhaps she is of the younger generation - grandchildren do seem to be able to eat my frozen dinners without issues (but frozen would not be an option with solar power).

Hi

The stored food is only really there for emergency reasons.

Its in the event we are at the home and get cut off for weeks from the main village area.

Its not our main source of food during normal times.

We are not looking at frozen dinners but rather foods that do not require refrigeration etc.

Normally we eat very fresh food and have many fruit trees of various types on the property itself.

Last couple of weeks the roads were closed due to flooding so its always good to have some campbells tinned foods, rice, pasta etc stored in the event we are cut off for long periods of time.

This is why I'm trying to make the house sustainable using solar panels, water tanks etc.

Cheers

Am sure you can get a selection of soups and tuna and spam and other such canned goods for those occasions. Do not believe you will find the survival type items as in US but with a little work canned/uht will probably be better tasting. Have been buying this S.Khonkaen Dried Pork as a treat for dog but really is good tasting and has 3 month expiration date.

http://shoponline.tescolotus.com/en-GB/ProductDetail/ProductDetail/6017377579

Good idea to try produce cold by using solar energy. Since you said you had contacted Engineo for solar panels, I presume that you want to use them to produce electricity to make the compressor of your refrigerator work. You are in the right direction. It sufficient to find efficient solar panels with the correct power to do so. Engineo can advice you. Avoid another company specialized in solar as well, situated between to Big C Extra (former Carrefour) and Festival,

'' pork jerky ''

i've met a few of them in my lifetime,

have you considered some form of canoe to leave the area,

what goes through my mind is (during a flood) sewerage,

mosquitoes, snakes invading your hone, going stir crazy, i

don't think Thais have yet grasped the concept of a bomb

shelter mentality, ask what they would do and you do the same.

I have all kinds of small solar devices, from lights to motion detector lights and solar chargers for cell phones and tablets. I have found some on Groupon Thailand and others shipped from USA via Amazon. Warning: the cell chargers are not weatherproof as claimed. The big solar stuff from America is way too expensive to ship here.

'' pork jerky ''

i've met a few of them in my lifetime,

have you considered some form of canoe to leave the area,

what goes through my mind is (during a flood) sewerage,

mosquitoes, snakes invading your hone, going stir crazy, i

don't think Thais have yet grasped the concept of a bomb

shelter mentality, ask what they would do and you do the same.

A serious enquiry requires a similar response. Perhaps you need a bomb shelter very near you or perhaps you are already a resident!

In trying to stay wysiwyg within this topic, a modern tech query requires a modern solution. forget the canoe, does anyone know where I can get an amphibious ute in Thailand?

Why are you still in in Thailand? Ah! perhaps you have yet to build another Noah's Ark, or is it more likely to be a rented kayak! Is it a long drop from that condo where the ozyjon is rare?

Now, be nice to me Ozzy when you reply.

Check Mr. Alessandro from Abotrading, really professional and quality products, I've done a couples of project with him and everything ok.

check the website: http://www.abotrading.co.th/

Hi Luke

Thanks for the link.

I had a look at their site and they seem to stock quality German chargers/inverters.

Im looking at getting an emergency " off grid " setup with around 1.2kw of panels and some quality batteries with a charger / inverter which can handle more panels/batteries at a later stage.

I will give these guys a call and check them out tomorrow.

Once again thanks for the info.

JT65

When I first went to Africa Zaire (as known then) and Somalia 40 years ago I had kerosene fridges. They worked really well. Filled them up once a week, cleaned the wick every couple of weeks. Once got my hands on a barrel of aviation fuel in Somalia (refined kerosene) and the fridge performed even better.

Not saying you should use one permanently, but a small one for emergencies would reduce the load from your solar panels.