Stunned Thaksin Followers Mull Options

george

Stunned Thaksin followers mull options

BANGKOK: -- Former Thai Rak Thai MPs have admitted that it is likely the party was doomed after the government was overthrown.

Party leader and deposed PM Thaksin Shinawatra and many of its key figures are now in London.

The Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM), which overthrew the government on Tuesday night, has ordered former Cabinet members and Thaksin aides in Thailand to report to them.

Some have done so, but key Thai Rak Thai figures appear to be lying low in safe houses.

But several former MPs already believe the party would have to be dissolved.

"When we have no leader and no executives, the party cannot continue," said former Khon Kaen MP Prajak Kaewklaharn.

Prajak said he would still contest the next election, but he had no idea what party he would turn to.

Former Bangkok MP Mongkol Kimsoonjan said that Thai Rak Thai might be disbanded even if Thaksin returned to Thailand.

"He may hinder party operations," Mongkol said, admitting that after the coup friends from another party had asked him to join them. However, he said he would wait for a fresh constitution before deciding his political career.

Mongkol is a member of Sudarat Keyuraphan's faction. He believes Sudarat may leave politics, while other party Thai Rak Thai members in different factions might form a new political party.

"For me, if there are two choices, I may choose the Democrat Party because it is more popular than others in Bangkok," he said.

Wang Nam Yom faction member Wichai Chaichitwanitchakul said he had not yet connected with other members, including the faction leader. "I think we are in a state of aftershock," he said.

He said that political activity might stop and that he would stay in his hometown of Udon Thani.

When asked about his political future, he replied that his faction still remained. "I plan to meet again with the former Northern MPs after the CDRM appoints the new premier," Wichai said. The only certainty for Thai Rak Thai at present is uncertainty. "We don't know if we can still carry out political activities or not. Our group can merge with another party, except the Democrats", he said.

Former Sakon Nakhon MP Chalermchai Ulankul said he and others might be unemployed for about a year. However, he expected results from the political reforms, especially a new constitution.

Chalermchai said his group was "firm" and preparing to run in the election next year. Still, it was difficult to talk about the political future, the former MP said. "As long as the Thai Rak Thai Party is not dissolved, we can't say we will move to be under any other party. However, I don't know who will continue the TRT," he said.

Chalermchai is a member of a faction allied with Suchart Tancharoen, a key TRT figure.

--The Nation 2006-09-23

This comment seems, to me, to be part of the problem of democracy in Thailand - the notion that one can just simply join another party, because its more popular.

Where are the ideologies, the policies, the manifesto? Are political parties in Thailand nothing more "fan clubs" for well-known figures?

. . . . .

Former Bangkok MP Mongkol Kimsoonjan said that Thai Rak Thai might be disbanded even if Thaksin returned to Thailand.

Mongkol is a member of Sudarat Keyuraphan's faction. He believes Sudarat may leave politics, while other party Thai Rak Thai members in different factions might form a new political party.

"For me, if there are two choices, I may choose the Democrat Party because it is more popular than others in Bangkok," he said.

. . . . .

--The Nation 2006-09-23

I am much less worried about the fate of MP's and TRT members than I am about the soldiers patrolling Chiangmai and guarding key installations here - none of them are wearing yellow ribbons.

How should we interpret that in Thaksin's home town?

Gaz

I noticed that too, and none of them were smiling as the General had requested :o

thaising

How does a snake without a head move forward, unless the CEO consults those trusted astrology with black magic to bringing his life back.

see below !

Thai PM will return, says his astrologer

By Sebastien Berger in Ban Mi

(Filed: 23/09/2006)

The astrologer of the ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said he had foreseen his demise — but also his return to power within little more than 18 months.

Phra Khru Wichitsuthakarn, 64, is the abbot of a monastery around two hours north of Bangkok, and one of the kingdom's foremost soothsayers.

Phra Khru Wichitsuthakarn

His last consultation with the ex-prime minister was by telephone two weeks before Tuesday's bloodless coup that removed him from power.

"When it's an important situation he will call me for a suggestion," the monk said in his office at Wat Khang Khao, or "Bat Temple".

"I warned him before the coup to be careful, there will be enemies who want to attack you but they won't kill or hurt you. After this period, be careful of the revolution."

The week before the coup, launched by the head of the armed forces, an attempt was allegedly made to assassinate Mr Thaksin with a bomb.

"I suggested he change where he sleeps, where he stays, and that he go travelling temporarily," the monk said. "Of course he believed it. He went outside Bangkok and stayed in the villages; he went abroad."

The abbot glossed over the fact that his advice had not saved the prime minister's job. "He couldn't stop the revolution happening — it has to happen this way," he said.

In the months leading up to the coup, Mr Thaksin had grown increasingly unpopular, with critics accusing him of using his position to increase his wealth and of failing to cope with a Muslim insurgency in the south.

The army finally moved against Mr Thaksin while he was in New York at the UN.

But Phra Khru Wichitsuthakarn said the bad influence would wane from April 16 next year, "and he will be the prime minister again".

His prediction will be carefully noted by Thais, the vast majority of whom subscribe to various superstitions. The monk said Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the coup leader, visited him some years ago.

His revelations came as the leaders of the coup were given formal royal approval in a special televised ceremony.

[email protected]

Edited by taxexile

BANGKOK: -- Former Thai Rak Thai MPs have admitted that it is likely the party was doomed after the government was overthrown.

Party leader and deposed PM Thaksin Shinawatra and many of its key figures are now in London.

and a bit of inside info tell me that they all meet up and take lunch together at Pims Thai Food snack back in Chapel Market which is between Islingtons Upper Street and Pentonville rd.(near the new mall..nice coffee bars)

There is a handy Woolworths nearby and next to the stall an Albanian refugee sells them fake Lolexes and YSL "real" leather belts...just like home :D

From further info they then all retire to the local pub (next to Waitrose...but mai phut name) to sceme and plot their glorius return. :o

thaising
How does a snake without a head move forward, unless the CEO consults those trusted astrology with black magic to bringing his life back.

see below !

The astrologer of the ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said he had foreseen his demise — but also his return to power within little more than 18 months.

Phra Khru Wichitsuthakarn, 64, is the abbot of a monastery around two hours north of Bangkok, and one of the kingdom's foremost soothsayers.

His last consultation with the ex-prime minister was by telephone two weeks before Tuesday's bloodless coup that removed him from power.

"When it's an important situation he will call me for a suggestion," the monk said in his office at Wat Khang Khao, or "Bat Temple".

"I warned him before the coup to be careful, there will be enemies who want to attack you but they won't kill or hurt you. After this period, be careful of the revolution."

The week before the coup, launched by the head of the armed forces, an attempt was allegedly made to assassinate Mr Thaksin with a bomb.

"I suggested he change where he sleeps, where he stays, and that he go travelling temporarily," the monk said. "Of course he believed it. He went outside Bangkok and stayed in the villages; he went abroad."

The abbot glossed over the fact that his advice had not saved the prime minister's job. "He couldn't stop the revolution happening — it has to happen this way," he said.

In the months leading up to the coup, Mr Thaksin had grown increasingly unpopular, with critics accusing him of using his position to increase his wealth and of failing to cope with a Muslim insurgency in the south.

But Phra Khru Wichitsuthakarn said the bad influence would wane from April 16 next year, "and he will be the prime minister again".

His prediction will be carefully noted by Thais, the vast majority of whom subscribe to various superstitions. The monk said Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the coup leader, visited him some years ago.

His revelations came as the leaders of the coup were given formal royal approval in a special televised ceremony.

[email protected]

Didn't Thaksin trust the Burmese fortune teller, Miss Ee Tee who told him to stay out of Thailand to the end of the month? And look what happened!

I think he should ask for a rebate on the supposed 500,000 baht consultation fee and at the same time demand Newin Chidchorp compensate him for the failed Khmer superstitious practices.

[email protected]

It's a pity the monk didn't see fit to lay some dhamma on the former PM, rather than the soothsaying.

I am much less worried about the fate of MP's and TRT members than I am about the soldiers patrolling Chiangmai and guarding key installations here - none of them are wearing yellow ribbons.

Gaz

I noticed that too, and none of them were smiling as the General had requested :o

However they are wearing blue ribbons, the Queen's colour, I believe ?

Possibly they are being tactful - not to upset any local supporters of DL ??

and a bit of inside info tell me that they all meet up and take lunch together at Pims Thai Food snack back in Chapel Market which is between Islingtons Upper Street and Pentonville rd.(near the new mall..nice coffee bars)

There is a handy Woolworths nearby and next to the stall an Albanian refugee sells them fake Lolexes and YSL "real" leather belts...just like home :D

From further info they then all retire to the local pub (next to Waitrose...but mai phut name) to sceme and plot their glorius return. :D

Pims Thai Food snack bar is a market takeaway so unlikely they would eat there. More probably in Islington they would eat at the Thai Square which could accommodate a large entourage, or alternatively the Rabeing Thai restaurant or the Isarn or the Tuk Tuk...all on Islington Upper Street. As for drinking, thats obvious: Filthy McNasty's on nearby Amwell Street. :o

Gaz

Is this true? No ribbons at all?

Highly significant if so... Maybe trying to prevoke a reaction???

Please confirm.

This comment seems, to me, to be part of the problem of democracy in Thailand - the notion that one can just simply join another party, because its more popular.

Where are the ideologies, the policies, the manifesto? Are political parties in Thailand nothing more "fan clubs" for well-known figures?

It is difficult for a party have an ideology when it pursued popular MP's from other parties to join and, if my memory serves me right, those popular MP's that did join were "helped" by Mr Thaksin quite substantially in their re-election campaigns. It seems to me that the party was formed by Mr Thaksin on the basis of forwarding his own power base, not that these people joined his party because it was popular.

Former Thai Rak Thai MPs have admitted that it is likely the party was doomed after the government was overthrown.

Wasn't the party in serious trouble until Thaksin called an election to enforce party loyalty? I recall talk of mass defections.

One of the constitutional aspects that needs reviewing over the coming year is the role of the party in the constitution. I think the constitution needs to allow parties to split, even if it does have to stop newly elected MPs switching to the party of the highest bidder after the election.

Basing parties on individuals is not uncommon. Isn't it the French practice? And of course ex-King Simeon II of Bulgaria's party, National Movement Simeon II, is explicitly based on him. (He was Prime Minister from 2001 to 2005.)

It is difficult for a party have an ideology when it pursued popular MP's from other parties to join and, if my memory serves me right, those popular MP's that did join were "helped" by Mr Thaksin quite substantially in their re-election campaigns. It seems to me that the party was formed by Mr Thaksin on the basis of forwarding his own power base, not that these people joined his party because it was popular.

Maybe the TRT MP's didn't join the party because of popularity, but it does seem as if lots of MP's will change to a different party, not because of their policies, but rather for their own political carrer.

I find that strange!

I'll join your party - not for it's believes or ideoligy - but for a nice car and a sweet paycheck....

Maybe the TRT MP's didn't join the party because of popularity, but it does seem as if lots of MP's will change to a different party, not because of their policies, but rather for their own political carrer.

I find that strange!

I'll join your party - not for it's believes or ideoligy - but for a nice car and a sweet paycheck....

Agree with this a hundred percent. I guess democracy has many faces...

I thought I would add a little background for those who enjoy trivia.

Why did the fortune teller tell Thaksin to avoid his home for sometime before the coup?

She noted from her astrological consultations that Pra Rahu was in the ascendancy in the heavens. In Hindu mythology Pra Rahu wants to live eternally so he swallows holy water, Pra Narai notices however and cuts him in half. Pra Rahu swallows the moon and sun, leading to darkness,(which is why some pay respects to him at the time of an eclipse)

Thaksin's house is called The Moonlit Land so naturally to avoid being devoured or left in darkness he had to avoid it temporarily.

Thaksin also asked the fortune teller which colour was the strongest at the moment.

There is nothing stronger than yellow she said. But in an attempt to ward off its power you will notice that Thaksin's family, Pojarman and his kids in Thailand, recently all wore black jackets done up to the neck over their yellow shirts.

To no avail of course!

Gaz

However they are wearing blue ribbons, the Queen's colour, I believe ?

Possibly they are being tactful - not to upset any local supporters of DL ??

The soldiers I have seen around Chiang Mai, although not wearing yellow ribbons, have been spending a good deal of their time posing for photos with tourists and Thais alike, as they are in BKK. Others are currently being surrounded by the usual night market stalls. At the checkpoints on Mae Jo Rd cars are stopping and taking photos with the armoured personel carriers, which have flowers on top.

I sure don't see any provocation intended here.

That is because they are faithfull to their wallet first, the family second and any ideology third and last. Normal people isn't even on the list.*

Politics is 'big biz'. That is why they spend so much money to get elected, even thou the salaries are so low...

(If anyone knows of a thai political party that truly are for freedom, open market and justice, let me know.)

That is because they are faithfull to their wallet first, the family second and any ideology third and last. Normal people isn't even on the list.*

Politics is 'big biz'. That is why they spend so much money to get elected, even thou the salaries are so low...

(If anyone knows of a thai political party that truly are for freedom, open market and justice, let me know.)

In an effort to try to understand the interesting transition we're experiencing right now, I have been reading "Making Democracy" by James Ockey. Here is a summary re political parties in Thailand. I'm sorry I cannot elaborate but am still reading!

"..There is widespread agreement (among political theorists) that parties have been too weak while their factions have been too strong. Weak party organization has led to vote buying; vague policy platforms; unstable, ideologically incoherent coalition governments; and patronage politics..."

and regarding the TRT Ockey says "Thaksin...was the major source of financial support for his party...".

In other words, it was~HIS~party and is disintegrating without his presence and patronage. I know this is a very superficial summary, but perhaps it may be of some help...

I dont think we've seen the last of TRT or Thaskin - lad has more lives than a cat. :D

He is still young, he will be back.

Yeah!! He will be back.

Thaksin (Su Su!!!)

Yes, he does indeed have more lives than a Siamese Cat but IMHO he's now become a pariah in the eyes of a good many Thais and possibly even some western governments.

He's probably still idolised in the northeast by the farmers and villagers he conned but since the coup was endorsed by the man on the money, it is far more difficult for Great Ex Leader to plan a comeback. Let's hope he gets pally with Al Fayed and buys a football team. Thailand needs to recover from his 5 years of corruption. Too bad he will miss the opening of Suwannaphum. But ...............then again, he may just fly in on that very day like a conquering hero :o

Edited by ratcatcher

I dont think we've seen the last of TRT or Thaskin - lad has more lives than a cat. :D

He is still young, he will be back.

Yeah!! He will be back.

Thaksin (Su Su!!!)

Yes, he does indeed have more lives than a Siamese Cat but IMHO he's now become a pariah in the eyes of a good many Thais and possibly even some western governments.

He's probably still idolised in the northeast by the farmers and villagers he conned but since the coup was endorsed by the man on the money, it is far more difficult for Great Ex Leader to plan a comeback. Let's hope he gets pally with Al Fayed and buys a football team. Thailand needs to recover from his 5 years of corruption. Too bad he will miss the opening of Suwannaphum. But ...............then again, he may just fly in on that very day like a conquering hero :D

hope he doesn't want to take a leak then :o

Chop a snake's head off and it will wiggle a bit while it can no longer bite anyone. :D

Surely it must be time now that the ex Bangkok governor, celebrity cook and Taksin lover 'Samak' got his final five minutes of fame. How about... his head on a silver plate, an apple in his mouth and a light garnish to top it of? Let the feast begin. :o

270704_new04.jpgwingwitt%2024%20Bon%20Ton%20Roulet%201902%20web.jpg