Koh Tao murder trial reconvenes in Koh Samui

webfact

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading something earlier how the police were able to go through phone data in vicinity if the shrine and track down the bombers .

I wonder if the police should do the same at koh tao it could produce evidence of persons in the area times of calls etc.

that would be a normal line of enquiry in any investigation, all calls are logged with numbers times dates duration and IMEI, there won't be many cell towers/base stations on the Island I would guess 4 to 5 depending on terrain as they are line of sight, it will not identify the caller unless the phone is registered, if a persons number is known it could then be linked to the IMEI from the cell data

I expect the RTP will have undertaken due diligence and obtained call data during the investigation, standard protocol. The general public will not have been privy to the information, which is a good move given the amount of speculation it would cause.

I was reading something earlier how the police were able to go through phone data in vicinity if the shrine and track down the bombers .

I wonder if the police should do the same at koh tao it could produce evidence of persons in the area times of calls etc.

that would be a normal line of enquiry in any investigation, all calls are logged with numbers times dates duration and IMEI, there won't be many cell towers/base stations on the Island I would guess 4 to 5 depending on terrain as they are line of sight, it will not identify the caller unless the phone is registered, if a persons number is known it could then be linked to the IMEI from the cell data

I expect the RTP will have undertaken due diligence and obtained call data during the investigation, standard protocol. The general public will not have been privy to the information, which is a good move given the amount of speculation it would cause.

I don't think anyone was asking for the general public to be made privy but the court should be in any investigation that has been done with due diligence. It has not been reported from the court thus far so my guess is that this was probably not carried out but I could be wrong or they forgot to drop the logs in the shopping trolley

Edited by thailandchilli

Well ... they did not examine the murder weapon or have a look to see who may have left the island shortly after the murders, so I can't imagine why they would have looked at call data.

Why would you 'expect they undertook due diligence'?

The thread is now re-opened on a test basis. Please note the following guidance:

1) Absolutely no bickering allowed. We have on this forum a number of people with opinions set in stone, both for and against the guilt of the accused (despite the fact that the trial has not even finished). Most of these members, on both "sides" of the issue, will not change their minds based on information or views provided by others. Do not attempt to "persuade" them, as experience has shown this leads nowhere.

Any violation of this will lead to the immediate suspension of all parties involved. We are not going to attempt to wade through multiple posts to who "started" it or who was more at fault than who. Everyone who bickers will be penalized.

2) Post in a manner respectful of the fact that this is not an armchair "whodunnit" for anyone's private entertainment but rather a terrible tragic event affecting flesh and blood people. Treating it as a game or puzzle is highly insensitive and disrespectful of the deceased, their families, and the accused and their families.

First class!

Banning everyone who bickers AND replies to bickering until one month after the trial ends would shut up the idiots on either side, and leave this thread to those who want to read facts reported by credible news sources, and sensible discussion of those reports!

Have they yet looked at bank transfers or withdrawals........? Naaaaaaaaaaah...doubt it...

Whose bank transfers and withdrawals?

laugh.png .........You baiting rascal you........laugh.png

Maybe, as per a post the other day, they should be looking for persons who made large purchases of donuts in boxes -- but didn't buy any jelly donuts.

I don't think anyone was asking for the general public to be made privy but the court should be in any investigation that has been done with due diligence. It has not been reported from the court thus far so my guess is that this was probably not carried out but I could be wrong or they forgot to drop the logs in the shopping trolley

Most likely was reported in the court, simply the defence did not want to release this snippet of information as there would be no gain for them.

Most likely was reported in the court, simply the defence did not want to release this snippet of information as there would be no gain for them.

So your speculating there then. How about the international press who have always reported each days proceedings, no mention there either, have they no gain in mentioning it? But then I also noticed the press failed mentioning the witness you talked about, the female one who was apparently in court on Friday according to you of course

Edited by thailandchilli

I am absolutely sure that given the very serious nature of this crime, any, even mediocre, investigation would look at the the phone records of anybody of interest on the night of the murders.

The lack of any reference to this by the police is a glaring omission and suggests they did not like what they found so consigned it to the "not relevant to the investigation" bin along with a whole load of other vital evidence such as CCTV evidence, passenger lists, witness statements from AC Bar, boat movements, etc.

With all due respect to the Mods ... when people post nonsense like this in a volatile thread such as this, they deserve a caning from somebody.

It is deliberate baiting or an exhibition of unfathomable ignorance considering all the information made public regarding the trial so far.

I am absolutely sure that given the very serious nature of this crime, any, even mediocre, investigation would look at the the phone records of anybody of interest on the night of the murders.

The lack of any reference to this by the police is a glaring omission and suggests they did not like what they found so consigned it to the "not relevant to the investigation" bin along with a whole load of other vital evidence such as CCTV evidence, passenger lists, witness statements from AC Bar, boat movements, etc.

I say again....Bank account movements...........whistling.gif

Boomer has been offering lists of what the investigation should have done but apparently hasn't done for almost a year now.

They collected cell phone data, it was mentioned in one of the articles during the previous hearings and in the final report from the judge that ruled against giving the confidential investigation report to the defense.

"22. The Report describes the approach adopted by the MPS in preparing for its inquiry. It then addresses the details of the crimes. It chronicles the events leading up to the discovery of the bodies. The Report sets out in detail the steps taken by the RTP in investigating the crime and in pursuing suspects and leads. It provides an account of how evidence was collected such as the performance of mass DNA testing, the identification and retrieval of CCTV footag from across the island, and the retrieval and collation of cell phone data etc. It describes the autopsy results. It records the third party witness evidence collected."

Boomer has been offering lists of what the investigation should have done but apparently hasn't done for almost a year now.

As shown in my previous post, they checked phone records, this is a fact.

Edited by AleG

I say again....Bank account movements...........whistling.gif

Many people have been making suggestions as to how the investigation should have been carried out over the past year, yet you make a sarcastic comment about one individual's suggestions. I suggest that in the current situation where the thread has just been reopened that you should be a bit more careful with your personal comments

Edited by sambum

Yes it's a fact they checked some people's phone records. But did they check the people's phone records that some of us think they should have.

To expect due diligence from the RTP after what we have seen during this investigation and particularly during this court case is beyond belief.

They have presented no evidence whatsoever to support the case that these two Burmese guys committed rape, never mind murder.

None. Nada. Zilch. Plao. Zero.

NOTHING.

Yes it's a fact they checked some people's phone records. But did they check the people's phone records that some of us think they should have.

Yes they did, you can look up for it regarding the July 21st or 22nd hearings if you really want to know.

So they checked the (phone) records but won't release the report to the defense? What's there to hide? How could that report help the B2 or hurt the Prosecution?

Seems pretty obvious, eh.

Where I'm from evidence has to be given to the defense but not to the prosecution, opposite here I guess.

Correct and its also possible the report is actually referring to the cell phone data of the victims phones which I believe it is seeing as this was mentioned in court, but no reports from court on the collection of anybody elses phone data

Edited by thailandchilli

They collected cell phone data, it was mentioned in one of the articles during the previous hearings and in the final report from the judge that ruled against giving the confidential investigation report to the defense.

"22. The Report describes the approach adopted by the MPS in preparing for its inquiry. It then addresses the details of the crimes. It chronicles the events leading up to the discovery of the bodies. The Report sets out in detail the steps taken by the RTP in investigating the crime and in pursuing suspects and leads. It provides an account of how evidence was collected such as the performance of mass DNA testing, the identification and retrieval of CCTV footag from across the island, and the retrieval and collation of cell phone data etc. It describes the autopsy results. It records the third party witness evidence collected."

The bold text is yours.

Mine would look different.....

It provides an account of how evidence was collected such as the performance of mass DNA testing, the identification and retrieval of CCTV footag from across the island, and the retrieval and collation of cell phone data etc. It describes the autopsy results. It records the third party witness evidence collected."

I suggest the account it provides is a shoddy one considering they mention the retrieval of CCTV foootage in the same sentence ..... and we know how thorough that has been.

I'm pretty sure if damning evidence was obtained by cell phone data collection, it would have been the centrepiece of the prosecutions case. Lord knows, with one day left, they have presented nothing of any value so far.

To expect due diligence from the RTP after what we have seen during this investigation and particularly during this court case is beyond belief.

They have presented no evidence whatsoever to support the case that these two Burmese guys committed rape, never mind murder.

NOTHING.

Again, as has been said many times on this forum, we are not privy to all the information. Media coverage is very limited at this stage, predominately via Twitter from what i have observed, and that seems to have slowed lately. We simply do not know the full details or facts, of the investigation. I expect when the trial reaches conclusion, a lot more of the investigative results will be available in the public arena.

Correct and its also possible the report is actually referring to the cell phone data of the victims phones which I believe it is seeing as this was mentioned in court, but no reports from court on the collection of anybody elses phone data

No, the data was specifically about Warot Toovichian when a witness testified over previous suspects, I can't find the article but it's also referred in this post.

Perhaps now the thread can continue to be about the actual trial and not alternative and discredited scenarios.

NOTHING.

Again, as has been said many times on this forum, we are not privy to all the information. Media coverage is very limited at this stage, predominately via Twitter from what i have observed, and that seems to have slowed lately. We simply do not know the full details or facts, of the investigation. I expect when the trial reaches conclusion, a lot more of the investigative results will be available in the public arena.

It has been said many times by YOU.

I believe that any important evidence presented at the trial has been reported publicly. It is a public event despite the restrictive conditions.

NOTHING.

Perhaps then you should stop speculating and spreading unfounded rumours:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/849310-koh-tao-murder-trial-reconvenes-in-koh-samui/?p=9788992

I understand, again from verbal dialogue, the Ace Card was from a female witness, which was outside the planned sequence of witnesses. The evidence seems very comprehensive, but reporting of the trial was from the defence, the prosecution respected the courts demands of no external communication, yes, no external reporting by media or social means, that's why many local newspapers dropped there interest.

No, the data was specifically about Warot Toovichian when a witness testified over previous suspects, I can't find the article but it's also referred in this post.

Perhaps now the thread can continue to be about the actual trial and not alternative and discredited scenarios.

Phone data is very relevant to the actual trial and again my interpretation of the report from the UK judge is different to yours however I'm not sure and would be unable to conclusively say yes or no unlike you

NOTHING.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/849310-koh-tao-murder-trial-reconvenes-in-koh-samui/?p=9788992

I understand, again from verbal dialogue, the Ace Card was from a female witness, which was outside the planned sequence of witnesses. The evidence seems very comprehensive, but reporting of the trial was from the defence, the prosecution respected the courts demands of no external communication, yes, no external reporting by media or social means, that's why many local newspapers dropped there interest.

Quick confirmation my statement is correct, certainly not speculation and well founded.

NOTHING.

When did the court demand that there be no reporting of this case?