Best Twisties

AllanB

Depends. What bike are you riding?

If I can get the few niggles worked out a 1983 Honda NV400, if not thinking about a Benelli TNT 302, we are two up all the time, no hurry.

Mae Hong Song Loop is on the list for next February when my mate gets back, 4 on two bikes. But I want to ride a few before that. Anything considered.

Personally, I wouldn't enjoy the MHS loop two up on a smallish displacement bike like the Benelli TNT 302 (not sure about the hp of the Honda). There are a lot of uphill switchbacks and if you don't have the torque to pull out of the corner, you're just a sitting duck for other bigger vehicles.

I've ridden the MHS loop a few times, two up, on my Versys 650 and the most glaring shortcoming is the lack of power coming out of the corners, especially on an uphill switchback, even dropping down to 2nd or 1st gear. On my Ninja 1000, it's an altogether different experience.

Stick with the 1339 to Nan or the AH12 from Mae Sot to Tak / Phitsanulok or the 323 from K'buri to Sangklaburi. You will still enjoy the sweeping turns, albeit at a slower speed.

maybe you need to find which revs are giving you the best torque and you need to stay at your power band.

for versys it is 6500 rpm to 8000 rpm. versys has a lot of low torque.

so feeling like a duck on a big bike is all about how you ride.

those roads up North are a lot fun even for a liter bike.

Edited by maykilceksin

Depends. What bike are you riding?

If I can get the few niggles worked out a 1983 Honda NV400, if not thinking about a Benelli TNT 302, we are two up all the time, no hurry.

Mae Hong Song Loop is on the list for next February when my mate gets back, 4 on two bikes. But I want to ride a few before that. Anything considered.

Personally, I wouldn't enjoy the MHS loop two up on a smallish displacement bike like the Benelli TNT 302 (not sure about the hp of the Honda). There are a lot of uphill switchbacks and if you don't have the torque to pull out of the corner, you're just a sitting duck for other bigger vehicles.

I've ridden the MHS loop a few times, two up, on my Versys 650 and the most glaring shortcoming is the lack of power coming out of the corners, especially on an uphill switchback, even dropping down to 2nd or 1st gear. On my Ninja 1000, it's an altogether different experience.

Stick with the 1339 to Nan or the AH12 from Mae Sot to Tak / Phitsanulok or the 323 from K'buri to Sangklaburi. You will still enjoy the sweeping turns, albeit at a slower speed.

maybe you need to find which revs are giving you the best torque and you need to stay at your power band.

for versys it is 6500 rpm to 8000 rpm. versys has a lot of low torque.

so feeling like a duck on a big bike is all about how you ride.

those roads up North are a lot fun even for a liter bike.

No doubt. It's just that two up (I'm 90 kgs) plus topbox and panniers and 60+ hp, it's hard to keep up with the 100+ hp of the ducatis coming out of an uphill switchback. It's plenty of power though, if not riding in a group and not rushing

I am not trying to keep up with anyone, set my own pace based on zero danger no matter what. One fall at my age and legs, my biking days will be over.

There are plenty of places to stay everywhere, when I have had enough, stop eat and relax, live to fight another day.

In Vietnam we only made 60km in a day another day 300km, it really doesn't matter.

In a group, if I didn't feel comfortable at the preferred pace I would meet the group later on.

I can see that twisties are only fun at the right pace.

• 1 month later...

what is the best way to get in touch with a bunch of ducati owners? I looked at the ducati owners club Thailand but seems it is all written in thai which kind of stumps me...

where are you staying ,theres several ducatis ride with us most sundays ,we are all based in hua hin

post-66232-0-84774600-1444592805_thumb.j

what is the best way to get in touch with a bunch of ducati owners? I looked at the ducati owners club Thailand but seems it is all written in thai which kind of stumps me...

where are you staying ,theres several ducatis ride with us most sundays ,we are all based in hua hin

ah thats a shame i have just leased a house in Jomtien. I was down in Hua Hin a few ago looking around for somewhere but decided on jomtien at the end of the day.

do you get together for longer rides like overnighters or anything? I have been riding for near on 30 years now and being new to thailand got a lot of exploring to do but it is always better with mates..!!

that said i could always do a belt down that way and overnight anyway as i work off shore so when back on the beach I'm there 4 weeks at a time

whats the deal with the motorways - no bikes allowed on them regardless of size?

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would blow the cobwebs out of the old crate next week with a trip to Petchabun, someone told me there were some hills and twisties around there, near highway 12, any ideas?

On Highway 12 going west from KK, about 50km after Chum Phae, you'll find a turning on your right on the single carriageway road - the 2216 to Nam Nao. It's quite a big junction and well signposted. Try it - lots of twists & bends.

You can stay on the 2216 and eventually come back onto Highway 12 via the 203 and Lom Sak.

Enjoy but be careful.

Thought I would blow the cobwebs out of the old crate next week with a trip to Petchabun, someone told me there were some hills and twisties around there, near highway 12, any ideas?

On Highway 12 going west from KK, about 50km after Chum Phae, you'll find a turning on your right on the single carriageway road - the 2216 to Nam Nao. It's quite a big junction and well signposted. Try it - lots of twists & bends.

You can stay on the 2216 and eventually come back onto Highway 12 via the 203 and Lom Sak.

Enjoy but be careful.

Alternatively after you get back on Highway 12 you can continue up to Khao Khor heading towards Phitsanulok,take a left towards the Khao Khor memorial once up the mountain and you will find some nice roads which will take you back to the 21 between Lom Sak and Phetchabun.

Or you could head up Phu Tab Berk as well.

I was on that road early this year, it wasn't finished then (read nightmare in places) and yes that is the speed to enjoy it, not for me and the missus and the luggage though, it would be a photo finish as to who would shit themselves first. My money will not be on the luggage.

That is our route to Chaing Mai and MHS, so give us a wave as you speed past, but beware, like all Thai roads made with 5mm thick concrete on top of soil, it will break up.

So you can do that for about...hang on I will check my watch.

Take care........

Edited by AllanB

• 3 weeks later...