U. S. dollar transfer from Sri Lanka to Bangkok Bank

Hello everyone,

I just finished a job in Sri Lanka and my employer will transfer to me my wages to my Bangkok Bank Thai baht account in USD. I would like to know how much it will cost me to transfer the sum. I assume the bank will convert it to THB and I would then withdraw the baht and convert it back to dollars. I would prefer to do this through PayPal as my U.S. account is linked to it but my employer is not able to do so. I think the transfer fee for PayPay is 2 percent of the sum.

Having to do a double conversion sounds like it will be a hassle but it sounds necessary as I do not have a USD account with B.B.

My question is how much will I lose in the conversion from USD to Baht on the initial transfer and then the conversion from baht to USD if I use the bank's rate or another currency exchange. The sum is 2300 USD.

Thanks!

If I'm reading the info on thier web page right, Bangkok Bank will charge you 200 baht to receive $2300 by TT and today's TT exchange rate is 35.57. That means that transferring $2300 should result in 81,611 baht being deposited in your savings account. Then if you convert it back to USD and take the money as cash, they would apply a rate of 35.94 and you'd net $2270. There may also be additional fees from the Sri Lankan bank that either the sender or you would need to bear..

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CurrencyExchange/Pages/Fees.aspx#1
http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

Edited by suzannegoh