VIne\Grape leaves - where to buy in Chiang mai?

GPR

Hey there everbody :-)

I wanna make the dish in the attached picture, and I have a recepie, but....

For that, I need vine leaves or grape leaves or whatever it is called in English (not my mother language)....

Anybody knows where I can get some?

I know that you can use them fresh or fremented.
Looked for fremented ones in Rimping and Tops without success.
Asked people who sell grapes in Chiang Mai gate morning market and none of them had the leaves nor knew where I can get them...

There are a few restaurants who have suffed vine leaves in their menu so I guess it is available SOMEWHERE in the city...

Help?

Much apprec :-)

post-119327-0-28315200-1440324104_thumb.

My grandmother, who was from the old country in Lebanon, used to make this dish all the time. Whenever we were near a place that grew grapes, she would pick the leaves fresh and freeze them. She told me you want the new leaves that are a lighter shade of green. I always found the ones in the jar to be too salty and soft, not nearly as nice as the fresh leaves.

Anyway, I heard there are places in the north where they grow grapes. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you picked some leaves and would probably wonder why the hell anyone would eat grape leaves.

You won't believe this but last Monday i saw i very robust grape vine, (probably V. vinifera) with abundant leaves right here in CM. A few fruit clusters too but they were still green. This is a large potted vine alongside the beer garden in NimmanHaeman area. Might be the Beer Republic and if not that shop, very nearby. But i'm not suggesting that you should to pluck any leaves, even at 8am.

I've had those rolled grape delicacies and if you have too many, drop me a message.

Thanks for the lovely answer!
I don't think I'm gonna go as far as seeking a place where they grow grapes because I don't have a bike\car and I am very lazy when it comes to putting miles under my feet :-)

I'll keep looking for it in the city and update you guys if I find any...Perhaps I'll just go and ask in one of the middle eastern restaurants in the city who has it on the menu...

wai2.gif

Do you guys think there's a chance that all the grapes in the market are imported?
Seems to me like if many many small time sellers in the market have it (and kinda cheap) - it must be local... no?

Cihan, you are very misguided. Any grape leaf will do.

Any grape leaf will do but it won't taste same because of the leaf structure as the seedless grape leaf grown in Turkey and Greece are really soft. Cannot compare with the other leaves. My mom used to cook "dolma" If anybody can find them in thailand please let me know too.

There is a small vineyard / coffee shop in Sansai. The owner is very friendly I am sure she would let you try for yourself. They have a few varieties, I know nothing about this so you would need to check it out for yourselves. Nice coffee too.