Steel Door,how to lock and hinge.

chiangrai

I just got a small garage built.I want it to be as secure and theft proof as possable.

I got it built in rendered concrete block with a concrete roof.

I have also got two steel doors to fit inside a steel door frame which is allready installed.

I have no idea how to hinge it so it can't be prized open with a crowbar.I also have no idea how to bolt and lock it.

The guy who is installing it says he knows how to hinge it but judgeing by the two little eyes that he wants to weld on to put a padlock on he has no idea how strong I want it.

How would you go about it.What kind of hinges should I use.,How do I fix them to the wall,inside or outside.What kind of lock,padlock,bolts etc...should I use to

lock it up.

I really have no idea but the doors are in a metalwork shop and I can get him to modify things before my builder installs them.Maybe he can make heavyweight hinges and attach bolts and eyes for locking it.

Talk to me please

You'll need to give a bit more detail on the metal 'doors': Single door and frame, or double door with or without center post?

Open in or open out?

A Padlock can be cut or torched off.

1. Hinge pins can be welded into place.

2. Security Jamb Pins with counter-sync holes on the door hinge side can also provide additional strength against lifting a door off its hinge side.

security-jamb-pins-7.gif

3. "Outswing Commercial Door Stainless Security Guard Plate" to cover direct access to deadbolt

DJO-LP-2878_195.jpg --or-- pemko-3572SP_195.jpg

Or a lock that actuates bolts at both the top and bottom of the door.

Two doors that fit together inside a door frame without a centre post to open out.

While convenient, double-door, no center post is the weakest configuration with many issues.

The inactive leaf should be locked into place with heavy duty top and bottom "bolt latch" or "Shoot Latches" to keep it immobile.

sidehinged-standard-brace-300x271.jpg

Right,

So these bolt latches should be welded onto the inside of one door,top and bottom, is that right.

So you close these from the inside,then lock the door,but whats to stop the second door from moving.

I still need a simple solution to the external lock.I don't think the neighbours will go to the trouble of getting an oxoceteline torch.Can you buy these bolt latches that are heavy duty and can be locked

with a padlock.

Or is there a better way.

What I've come accross on youtube is a security bar which can be

attached to brackets coach bolted through the concrete outside the

door frame.

I could get one made up cheaply.

And a heat sensitive light and a an alarm............