The kids will drink: Thailand's booze crackdown could do more harm than good

webfact

The kids will drink: Thailand's booze crackdown could do more harm than good
By Saksith Saiyasombut & Siam Voice
ByJames Austin

BANGKOK: -- It’s uncertain at the moment how the military junta intends to enforce its ban of alcohol sales within 300 metres (500 metres has also been talked about) of educational institutions.

Numerous critics opposed to the ban have said that it would gravely affect business and diminish tourism revenue, but so far the potential benefits of the action itself, which is ostensibly to sway young folks from drinking – have not been called into question.

The junta seemed to back-peddle after the initial pronouncement of the order, but then said the ban would be enforced arbitrarily – based on the, “appropriateness of the situation,” according to Saman Footrakul, director of the Alcohol Beverage Office, as reported by Khaosod.

There are plenty of reasons to feel dismayed about an arbitrary order, especially if you’re directly, monetarily, affected by it. For instance, will the enforcement be imposed fairly, and not undermined by routine police corruption?

We might also ask if the order, which includes heavy penalties on any establishment selling alcohol or allowing entry to anyone under the age of 20, will prevent young people from drinking, or just push them further away to places they can consume alcohol.

Does the junta have in mind a kind of reformation of the youth; is the ban based on extensive research; is the junta just flexing its muscles, or looking for an image improvement?

Last week it was reported that “tangible results” within the next six months are expected. It was reported that Saman Footrakul maintained that the enforcement would remain unspecified in terms of which educational institutions and establishments it affects and will affect.

Full story: http://asiancorrespondent.com/135075/the-kids-will-drink-thailands-booze-crackdown-could-do-more-harm-than-good/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2015-08-24

a lot of under age kids drink, I was going to the pubs at 17 and drinking regularly, actually regret it now but it was the done thing back then. Bottle shops were harder to be served in as they were pretty strict on age, here in 7/11's and mum and pop shops you see kids well under 20 being served all the time as the sellers simply dont care as long as they get money. They need to police the sellers better and make them ask for id/proof of age and that would certainly fix a lot of it, trouble is parents also let their under age kids drink so it does make it harder, Its now an offence in Australia to allow you underage kids to drink or simply buy alcohol for them. wouldnt work here as the police will never actually police it as per road rules etc. You need a police force that does police all laws not just the ones that can make pocket money from.

My wifes daughter who is 16 and mattyum 5 student goes out every saturday I think she goes drinking all night for many times she doesnot come home till late sunday night and goes durectly to her room no talking nothing. The wife says there is nothing she can do. Wife says if she tries to stop her the daughter will leave home.and not come back. Last weekend she left the house 3 in the afternoon on saturday came home 11 pm sunday. Wife can do nothing so what can the police do the same nothing.

Just another anti-Junta piece making up a negative story when there isn't one. You can't stop them drinking. The best you can do is make it a bit harder to discourage some of them.

It's the job of the police to enforce the rule and the big problem with it is allowing the police to decide if a place can sell alcohol or not. I've never seen a more obvious way to get a bribe.

A large portion of university undergrads, and all of the graduate students, are 20 or older and can legally drink. All this ban will accomplish is to close drinking establishments in walking distance of their university and prompt them to drink and drive.

My wifes daughter who is 16 and mattyum 5 student goes out every saturday I think she goes drinking all night for many times she doesnot come home till late sunday night and goes durectly to her room no talking nothing. The wife says there is nothing she can do. Wife says if she tries to stop her the daughter will leave home.and not come back. Last weekend she left the house 3 in the afternoon on saturday came home 11 pm sunday. Wife can do nothing so what can the police do the same nothing.

Very easy to solve.

You tell the wife either her daughter stops doing this, moves elsewhere, or you will move elsewhere.

Up to you as head of the household to enforce your rules.

Better the kid gone, than you having to put up with this.

I wouldn't hesitate to issue such an ultimatum to my family.

PS

I have a 16yo girl in the house attending M5, any contact with boys, drugs or alcohol and she's out, no university, no more money or support from me.

She knows this and she obeys.

Nobody forces you to be a doormat.

Very easy to solve.

You tell the wife either her daughter stops doing this, moves elsewhere, or you will move elsewhere.

PS

I have a 16yo girl in the house attending M5, any contact with boys, drugs or alcohol and she's out, no university, no more money or support from me.

My wife says if daughter goes she goes. I even offered to have her go live with her father and I would support her financially wife wouldnot have that either. Wife is worried about looking like a bad mother I tell her letting the daughter go out all night with guys isnot being a good mother in many peoples eyes. She just ignores what I say. I am too old and tired to start again.

My wife is ruled by her kids. Last friday son at Rangsit said he needed 35,000 baht I told the wife I am sick of him calling needing money all the time over and above our costs already to keep him in university. 2 hours later my wife is trying to hang herself in the kitchen because she is failing as a mother.the kid got the money.

Very easy to solve.

PS

My wife says if daughter goes she goes. I even offered to have her go live with her father and I would support her financially wife wouldnot have that either. Wife is worried about looking like a bad mother I tell her letting the daughter go out all night with guys isnot being a good mother in many peoples eyes. She just ignores what I say. I am too old and tired to start again.

My wife is ruled by her kids. Last friday son at Rangsit said he needed 35,000 baht I told the wife I am sick of him calling needing money all the time over and above our costs already to keep him in university. 2 hours later my wife is trying to hang herself in the kitchen because she is failing as a mother.the kid got the money.

Sorry to hear about all that, I would have already left, I'd rather live alone than live like that.

Actually, they just need to enforce the existing laws.

No sale of alcohol to minors.

And who still sell to minors, then heavy fines.

Come on.. They would just send a 20 yr old friend to buy the bottle..

Very easy to solve.

PS

It is normal that girls party when they are 16......Coming back on Sunday is too much. But you would seriously kick out your daughter and risk that she ends on the street, with drugs or as prostitute because she party a bit too much?

I did party too much and drink too much from 14-15 onward, but made a good school and one of the more difficult technical master-degrees. Lucky I didn't have a father who kicked me out. My town was full of narcotics, but I never touched them, who know what I would have done kicked out by my parents.

Kids will always find a way to drink, as the headline states and governments will never learn that they cannot control who drinks what, when or where.

I once was on the same table with my grandpa (born 1921) who met an old friend. They had hundreds of stories where they got hold of some spirits with 14, 15, 16 and drank it all + got problems at home.

So it is absolute no new problem.

Very easy to solve.

PS

Get out now before it's too late

It is normal that girls party when they are 16......Coming back on Sunday is too much. But you would seriously kick out your daughter and risk that she ends on the street, with drugs or as prostitute because she party a bit too much?

Not related to me,no obligation on my part,

Those that live by my 'grace and favour' obey me.

I'm well past the stage of caring about anyone apart from myself.

Tried doing it for other people, it didn't work all that well. Now I do it for me.

We often found a way to get drink (and also fireworks at certain times of the year) when we were too young if we could coax someone old enough to go in the off-license for us. At the same time I think it did stop us from doing it too much because the shop would not entertain selling to minors, so it took a bit of work (and staying out of sight) to make it happen. We weren't doing that while riding scooters with no helmet though.

As many have said Kids will drink, we probably all did when we were young!

This law is stupid as all it does is shut down small businesses in the area.

Enforce the existing law with no ban and the problem is solved, well as far as it can be, someone will always sell to kids somewhere.

As for the arbitrarily enforcing the law??? Well we all know what that means. Stupid.

If this "300 meter" rule is really enforced and restaurants or bars near schools have to shut down, will this be considered as a material expropriation with compensation due?

I would advise owners to sue the government.

Even if they could and they won (which I doubt) what they would get from a court would be nothing like what they deserve.

Compensation here is a joke.

Actually, they just need to enforce the existing laws.

No sale of alcohol to minors.

And who still sell to minors, then heavy fines.

Come on.. They would just send a 20 yr old friend to buy the bottle..

Yeah, you can´t prevent this with any law.

But imagine, in every bar minor pimples faces must show their identity card if they want to buy alcohol, or want to go shopping in a supermarket, as is practiced in many countries around the world. If the existing laws would be really applied, that would be a step forward, and it does not require an idiotic 300 meter law, that would bring for millions of inhabitants difficulties.

Very easy to solve.

PS

hate to say it, but she is right, she is not a great mother

my parents threatened to kick me out a million times when i stepped out of line, and well they should have. i had nowhere to go, so the my house my rules thing was certainly a moderating factor. it also let me know they cared.they most certainly weren't afraid of me or that i would leave

Edited by HooHaa

Very easy to solve.

PS

SAME hear!! Follow the rules we set for you and you will have a good life in front of you!!!!

ok i am repeating myself ONCE AGAIN, all thai carry I.D. cards if the shopkeeper is suspicious just ask to see the I.D. card its not rocket science -- or maybe it is ?? the law is already in place, why doesn't the government employ themselves in doing something usefull for a change, like trying to stop the carnage on the roads. Nah !! forget it !!