Thai police deactivate bomb in Bangkok house

webfact

This is just typical of the crap that goes on day to day in this dysfunction asylum. Thailand is going to get another wake up call when the Asean Forum agreement kicks in and they find themselves marginalized by their decades old policies of insulation and internal ism.

The bomb found by all accounts reported can be derived to be a WW 2 relic other wise it would be a serious breach of protocol even by Thai standards to defuse it and then destroy it without work up forensics.

Just idiots, potentates and terrible reporting and English skills.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said before, I am all for a bit of humour ( probably the worst poster on TV ) But you lot have no sense of humour at all. Its not funny,its childish. You all come out with so much crap

Give the Thai authorities a chance,I am certain they are far further,and know more,than you realise.Much more than a load of old fuddy duddys, sitting behind a keyboard at home.

Excuse me but some of us are on and under bar stools.

I have said before, I am all for a bit of humour ( probably the worst poster on TV ) But you lot have no sense of humour at all. Its not funny,its childish. You all come out with so much crap

Give the Thai authorities a chance,I am certain they are far further,and know more,than you realise.Much more than a load of old fuddy duddys, sitting behind a keyboard at home.

Excuse me but some of us are on and under bar stools.

That Figures

For anyone interested, and no one would blame you if you're not, here's the deal with the "wide" bomb. It's just another sloppy translation from the Nation.

The formal term for a bomb in Thai translates to something like a "wide radius explosive." This is probably what the reporter heard. However, it's not really about the size of the blast radius, but a way to modify the word "rabeud," to indicate that it blasts outward. In English, the prefix "ex" in explosive already denotes outward motion. In Thai, the term "rabeud" applies to anything moved suddenly by pressure. So for example, a manhole cover that pops off and shoots upward because of a gas explosion in the sewer is said to "rabeud," even if it remains intact. In English, we wouldn't say that the manhole cover had exploded, but something like it was blown out of place by exploding gas.

I really don't understand why the English papers seem to resist and defy the need for proper translation or at least competent proofreading. I'm a rank amateur and I can figure it out, so shouldn't we expect more of professionals? It robs them of any credibility and cheapens the whole enterprise.