Certificate of the residence for a driving licence - where and how much? Ambiguous info

Maramook

1. In the immigration they told me the place where I can get it is at Promenada Resort Mall across the road https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Promenada+Resort+Mall+Chiang+Mai/@18.7926165,99.0070933,12.5z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6bf2838de804a854. Is it really? It's called MOU. seems very far.

2. I saw a post here where it said that previously they'd used to ask 500 baht for it, but then someone complained about them or something and they haven't anymore, that is, it became free. However, today I went to the immigration near the airport plaza and when they gave that address shown above, they said that it wasn't for free and cost 500 baht. So is it free or not?

I just did it myself

from my understand it is free if you demand it but it takes 10 to 15 days on average to get it and some people on the forums have complained about it taking over a month.

I paid the 500baht and got it the next day, drop off before 12pm and you pick it up the next day between 1 and 4

this might help you

http://learnthaireviews.com/thai-residence-certificate-chiang-mai-process/

If you're a U.S. citizen, you can make an on-line appointment and get one at the U.S. consulate for $50. Yeah, a little pricey, but you'll get it on the spot and save the cost of two trips to Promenada if you have to pay a tuk-tuk. Let's see that's 200 baht each way for the tuk- tuk or 800 baht plus the 500 baht bribe to Immigration for a total of 1300 baht and about 4-5 hours of time, much of it spent riding in a tuk-tuk, or 1778 Thai baht ($50 at today's exchange rate at a bank) to the U.S. consulate and about 1/2 hour of time.

Personally I know which way I'd go.

If you're a U.S. citizen, you can make an on-line appointment and get one at the U.S. consulate for $50. Yeah, a little pricey, but you'll get it on the spot and save the cost of two trips to Promenada if you have to pay a tuk-tuk. Let's see that's 200 baht each way for the tuk- tuk or 800 baht plus the 500 baht bribe to Immigration for a total of 1300 baht and about 4-5 hours of time, much of it spent riding in a tuk-tuk, or 1778 Thai baht ($50 at today's exchange rate at a bank) to the U.S. consulate and about 1/2 hour of time.

Yepper that's what I did... I sucked it up and paid the $50 as I was at the US Consulate getting other papers notarized for my 1 yr extension.

well I live by Maya and have a motorbike so

15 minutes to drive there

15 minutes to pass in the paperwork and pay

15 minutes to drive home

then next day

15 minutes to drive there

2 minutes to pick up the form

15 minutes to drive again

so less then 2 hours for me personally but you do have to wait a night and it does kind of muck up your schedule for two days

I even went to the hospital to get my med certificate, then drove to renew my license that same day. so 2 days for everything including my renewal, now if this is your first license or you have to take tests it could obviously be longer

Good morning

Just a few questions to clarify things.

As i understand, it actually is possible to drop off the application for the certificate of recidence all evening untill

midnight. Do people really sit there all evening?

The original passport is required - do they keep it untill pick up of of the certificate of recidense.

Thank's

Rasmus

Good morning

Just a few questions to clarify things.

As i understand, it actually is possible to drop off the application for the certificate of recidence all evening untill

midnight. Do people really sit there all evening?

The original passport is required - do they keep it untill pick up of of the certificate of recidense.

Thank's

Rasmus

Drop off time

8am to 12pm (lunch time)

Pick up time 1 pm to 4pm next day

no they dont keep your original, just a photocopy

kevindorian above gave a link to the process he recently did http://learnthaireviews.com/thai-residence-certificate-chiang-mai-process/ check that out

Edited by krey

I went there yesterday and dropped off all the paperwork at the outside desk... I told the nice girl i did not need it right away so the 30 day free option was fine... She smiled and checked everything and then told me I needed to go with her to the officers desk inside the glass room... we went and she handed him the paperwork... He was definitely not from the land of smiles!!!... he didn't like the unclear copy of the lease which was in english... but I showed his a copy of my last True Internet bill which I also included and then showed him my Thai drivers license (which was expiring in 30 days) where on the back it all had the same address as I put on the form... Still no smile... But he reached into his drawer and pulled out a receipt and date stamp (which I don't think he uses much) and stamped my return pickup receipt for 30 days!!!... I smiled and gave him a great big Korp Khun Kab!!!... Sadly I still did not receive a smile back from him... wai2.gif