Help me choose between two TVs

cheeryble

Could someone TV tech savvy and good at googling help me out here please?

I got very interested in two TVs today.

I shall buy one of them tomorrow.

They're both around 20k baht.

1. Sony 48R550C

What I heard on a Youtube review was something about using a system to beam a signal directly to the TV from say a phone (and presumably tablet or laptop?)

If this is something like Apple TV it is a big plus point, much more than the stuff the salesman promoted like Youtube and surge protection.

2. Toshiba 50L25550VT

The plus point on this one......apart from the extra bit of size.....was Personal Video Recording.

It looks like you can bring up the schedule for the package you're watching, highlight a selection, connect a HD or flash drive, and your choice gets recorded by timer.

You can even do repeat recordings each week or day.

My questions:

Sony: Is this remote connection like a bluetooth connection (I don't see bluetooth mentioned), or is some special app needed, or is it even possible.

(I use a Macbook and an iPad)

In other words can I mirror my MAcboook remotely without an HDMI cable across the floor?

Toshiba:

If I have WETV will the schedule for this actually come up on demand so I can choose what to record.

Based on the reality I hope to hear from helpful TVers I can make my choice.

Thanks v much

Addendum to last post.

I should point out that on the following video review

http://youtu.be/K1GrAawM4Dk

although it speaks of screen mirroring (for the 48R550A at least ....same meat different gravy?!) he speaks of using a Miracast enabled smartphone to mirror.
Hmmm....bit lost here
I found the specs for the "C" and paste the relevant ones.....again it speaks of "Miracast" screen mirroring
  • Display
    • Display Resolution : Full HD
    • Viewing Angle (Up/Down) : (89/89) degree
    • Aspect Ratio : 16:9
    • Screen Size (measured diagonally) : 48" (47.6")
    • Screen Size (cm) : 120.9 cm
    • Viewing Angle (Right/Left) : (89/89) degree
  • Display Features
    • Backlight Type : Edge LED
    • Display Device : LCD
    • Dimming Type : Frame Dimming
  • Energy Saving & Efficiency
    • Power Saving Modes : Yes
    • Power Consumption (On Mode) for Energy Star : 42.32W
    • Power Consumption (Standby Mode) for Energy Star : 0.30W
    • Energy Star® compliant : Yes
    • Backlight Off Mode : Yes
    • Dynamic Backlight Control : Yes
  • General Features
    • Demo Mode : Yes
    • Hotel Mode Menu : Yes
    • Finish (Surface Color) : Black
    • Closed Captions (CC) : Analog; Digital
    • ARC HDMI (Audio Return Channel) : Yes
  • Inputs and Outputs
    • Analog Audio Input(s) (Total) : 1 (Bottom)
    • Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s) : 1 (Bottom Hybrid w/ Composite)
    • Audio Out : 1 (Side / Hybrid w/ HP)
    • USB 2.0 : 2 (Side)
    • Composite Video Input(s) : 1 (Bottom Hybrid w/ Component)
    • HDMI™ Connection(s) (Total) : 2 (1 Side / 1 Rear)
    • Headphone Output(s) : 1 (Side / Hybrid w/ Audio Out)
    • RF Connection Input(s) : 1 (Bottom)
    • HDMI PC Input Format : 640x480@60Hz; 800x600@60Hz; 1280x768@60Hz-R; 1280x768@60Hz; 1360x768@60Hz; 1024x768@60Hz; 1280x1024@60Hz; 1920x1080@60Hz
    • Digital Audio Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
    • HDMI™ PC Input : Yes
    • Ethernet Connection(s) : 1 (Rear)
    • HDCP : HDCP1.4
  • Network Features
    • Wi-Fi Standard : b/g/n
    • Wi-Fi Frequency : 2.4GHz only
    • Screen mirroring(Miracast) : Yes
    • Photo Sharing Plus / Photo Share : Yes
    • DLNA Content : MPEG1 / MPEG2TS / AVCHD / MP4 / AVI / WMV / LPCM / MP3 / WMA / JPEG
    • Wireless LAN : Integrated
    • Opera Apps (System) : Yes
    • Wi-Fi Certified : Yes
    • Wi-Fi Direct : Yes
Edited by cheeryble

Answering my own questions here it seems Miracast doesn't work with iOS or OSX bit deflated about that still I guess an Apple TV box would do the trick.

However it makes the Toshiba more attractive IF that recording thing works for WETV (would love to record Histoires Secret from TVMonde each week for example a fantastic programme.)

If I may add my 10 pennies. I have several TVs in my house and several makes. The best TV by far if you want a truly smart TV is Panasonic Viera, I have a 50" model (TH-L50ET60) and its is just great. They make a mobile control unit that works just great with my Android phone. I can even go in to Youtube and You tube senses the TV and all I need to do is click play and it goes straight to the TV from my phone, I dont even have to swipe it. Below is the Thai website but its in English. Picture quality is great. Its actually hard to fault it. I also have an LG, with a bigger screen, but its nowhere near as good as the Panasonic. The Panasonic price was also really good.

I have the 42" Panasonic Viera and it is excellent as a smart TV.

It can run stuff from my home's wi-fi BUT I have tried a BTooth keyboard without any luck.

Using the remote this means that you need to scroll every letter of the Web Page you want. On the other hand I believe that the remote of LG sets is something like a trackball, so you can hunt or scroll much faster.

It's worth looking around, because all of the brands have new models almost every month. I went to PowerBuy at Esplanade, but Big C also gives discounts for sets which are only 1-3 months as old stock (because somebody releases a later model).

I have always liked Sony, but their HiFi and DVD players always seemed expensive (in Europe). I bought the Viera because my 40 Inch Sony started to tire after about 6 years use.

Hope this helps

eddy

I have a few TV scattered around our houses, LG, Toshiba, and two Panasonic

Panasonic have a two year warranty, and when our house was struck by lightening the panasonic was fixed very quickly, whole new inside works, I was a very happy man

I called reported not working they came and fixed in a couple of days, asked no questions and I said little, but thank you so much, I will continue with Panasonic

I also like the longer guarantee because it shows me the manufacturer has faith in his product and quality control

I'll also ask.....

Am I right thinking an Apple TV box doesn't need an Apple laptop or iPhone or iPad or whatever to send from?

Is it exclusive?

Or can it send from a windows or android device too to the TV?

For me easy mirroring is an essential of life....

Edited by cheeryble

I'm not familiar with the particular models referred to, but I would be thinking of the purchase as an intermediate device until HDTV 4X gets more common (some Thai operators already support that, but not sure if there's much content yet at that resolution), and so be keeping some powder dry for a later date, if price is any factor in your decision.

I'd hook up an android xbmc or similar versus the apple tv.

Does it work like Apple TV LPCustom?

As it is called android xbmc does it mirror the screen for Apple iOS and OS X , Windows and android? .....that's what I really need as sometimes my wife will rent out this apartment.

(Did read up a little on it but didn't get my head round it)

I have many TV's in my homes around the world,

by far the best result has been the Sony, in

Thailand, Europe and Australia.

Afraid the Sony in question doesn't mirror a laptop screen without Miracast which is very limited (or an hdmi cable dangling across the floor)

The latter is what I want to avoid really.

I've been back to the shop after having kinda decided on the Toshiba 50 as I really liked the idea of timed recording.

Then the guy told me that was for .thai tV only.

I said what?.....told him I had WETV cable surely that could bring up a schedule and so can True.

He said Thai channels only.

And what's more, like the ?Sony, said the only way to mirror a laptop screen was with an hdmi cable.

That was the end of that.

Not sure if I believe all this.

Lost in translation?

I thought Bluetooth could connect laptops and tablets to TVs, am I wrong?

BTW yes I am open to any make.

Edited by cheeryble

So answering more of my own questions I learn the guy was wrong I can certainly use Apple TV or .chromecast or a couple of others.

Seems to me Chromecast is the one as it'll accept signals from about anything normal.....whereas Apple TV is exclusive to Apple devices.....well stuff that.

So if he was wrong about that he may be wrong about timed recording.....

Edited by cheeryble

I asked the assistant, he told me I could only record Thai channels from the regular public channel list.

This seemed odd so I called Toshiba.

The lady found out what she coudl and got back to me,

She said as long as the signal enters the TV via the RF not the HDMI it would record.

I still have concerns about the accuracy or detail of this.

I'm wondering if it will indeed record anything entering via RF BUT you can only record what's on NOW rather than by timer....whcih is what I definitely want, the timed version.

The other thing the guy in the shop said the TV had to be on to do a timer recording, but that one could set it to come on say an hour before.

THis seemed even more ridiculous.

PLEASE could some one help me out?

Can I do timed recordings with this TV on the cable TV channels here (which use the RF input)

Thanks v much!