What actions reset the 90 day report clock?

I got my last annual extension on May 25. At that time, the officer stapled that little reminder slip of paper in the back of my passport that says "notify again on 22 Aug 2015".

Now (25 Aug) I'm at chaengwattana to do my address report and being told that there is no record of my last report in May three months ago, therefore I'm late and owe 2000B.

I don't recall doing the address report the last two times I extended my stay - I thought the act of extending your stay "reset" the 90 day clock.

Should I have done a 90 day report back in May at the same time I did my extension of stay?

Well damn. Why did they staple the reminder in my passport telling me to notify again on 22 Aug?

Since I'm already on the hook for the 2000, might as well just forgo the remaining 90 day reports and pay the 2000 fine next year when I extend again.

Well damn. Why did they staple the reminder in my passport telling me to notify again on 22 Aug?

Since I'm already on the hook for the 2000, might as well just forgo the remaining 90 day reports and pay the 2000 fine next year when I extend again.

Be aware!

The maximum fine for failing to do 90 day reports is 5000........

Reports can also be done on line or by mail.

Online didn't work (that's why I came in person today) and sending by mail would be rejected, I assume, for the same reason I was rejected today.

I'd still like to know why they stapled a reminder in my passport telling me to "notify again on 22 Aug 2015".

whistling.gif Your 90 day clock and your retirement extension are not directly related.

Only your first (initial) retirement extension approval will "start" a 90 day stay clock.

Renewals after that are not tied to your 90 day reporting clock.

If you really want to 'reset" your 90 day reporting clock, it is easy to do.

Simply buy a exit re-entry permit, and use it to exit Thailand temporarily and return on that same permit.

The day you return to Thailand starts ("resets") your 90 day reporting countdown clock.

Careful use of nicely timed trips outside of Thailand can "move" your 90 day reporting clock to times that are more convenient to your desired reporting schedule.

Do it carefully and it's all legal.... just don't get the immigration "P- -d off" at you.

Always remember, it's not good to deliberately wave a red flag in front of an angry bull.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I don't really want to reset the clock, just wondered why subsequent extensions don't count as address notifications. The answer, which is now blindingly obvious, is because... well, because they don't. I've got to remember to stop applying common sense where immigration processes are concerned.

Also, I'm still puzzled by the "notify again on 22 Aug 2015" stub was put in my passport back in May. The cynical answer to that is they were hoping I'd be fooled by that and therefor a 2000B payoff for them.

• Like 2

Also, I'm still puzzled by the "notify again on 22 Aug 2015" stub was put in my passport back in May. The cynical answer to that is they were hoping I'd be fooled by that and therefor a 2000B payoff for them.

Because the officer saw your extension also as 90 day report but didn't do a record about.

The next officer want to accept only records.

Well there it is. As you can see, the last immigration officer affixed it to my passport on 25 May, instructing me to report again on 22 Aug. As far as I'm aware, the adverb "again" means you've already done something once, and that you should do it another, subsequent time. Hopefully you can understand my confusion.

post-140919-0-95292700-1440496435_thumb.

• Like 1

Well damn. Why did they staple the reminder in my passport telling me to notify again on 22 Aug.

That'a exactly what I was thinking. The fact that he gave you the slip telling you to come back in August means....."You don't have to sign again till August" that's the way I see it anyway. Why would he have given you that if you had to sign before August like people here are saying? I know if I make an extension and I was due to have to make a 90 day report one week after that, I would still have to do that one, but he must have taken care of that to give you a new 90 day slip.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

Some offices only need your passport now to complete a 90 day report.

You would have had more than sufficient paperwork available by doing your extension anyway.

Do you recall what date your previous 90 day was actually due.

It sounds as though the IO used your visit to do a 90 day report as well but didn't record it on the system, or he later realised his mistake and removed it from the system, either way they have misled you.

You have a receipt and the IO signature. I'd take it up with the boss, it appears to be their error.

You also have your extension stamp with the date of issue as proof you were in the office in person, when the IO also issued your next report date.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 2

Be aware!

The maximum fine for failing to do 90 day reports is 5000........

Reports can also be done on line or by mail.

Online only by a lucky few I think - Maybe TV could do a Survey to find out quite how many can do it online ... ?

All I know is that when I first came here 7 years ago and obtained my retirement visa I thought, "That's strange, 90 days times 4 is 360 and not 365".

It was at that stage I realised there was no direct connection between the retirement visa and the 90 day reporting, even though they might happen at times close together.

Technically you should have done a 90 day report because, as already said, it's completely separate to renewing extensions. However, I bet many people fail to follow this procedure and don't do reports when extensions are due. Unfortunately you've landed an IO thats going to enforce the law so you'll have to pay up.

As you said. Forget common sense!

Isn't the paper slip the only item to confirm that the reporting was done and/or the date when the next reporting is due.? The OP had no reasons to doubt the First (May 25) IO.

For anyone doing the reporting after reading this post (sorry OP probably not going to help you): Could we check the status of the 90-report using the online tool (see pic below)

post-232297-0-87787400-1440590279_thumb.

Presumably that's only for applications lodged online. Since you don't receive any reference number when you do the reporting in person at immigration, it seems unlikely you can check your reporting status. Unless, of course you can check by entering your passport details.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Isn't the paper slip the only item to confirm that the reporting was done and/or the date when the next reporting is due.? The OP had no reasons to doubt the First (May 25) IO.
For anyone doing the reporting after reading this post (sorry OP probably not going to help you): Could we check the status of the 90-report using the online tool (see pic below)
Presumably that's only for applications lodged online. Since you don't receive any reference number when you do the reporting in person at immigration, it seems unlikely you can check your reporting status. Unless, of course you can check by entering your passport details.

Only for reports made on line !

Well there it is. As you can see, the last immigration officer affixed it to my passport on 25 May, instructing me to report again on 22 Aug. As far as I'm aware, the adverb "again" means you've already done something once, and that you should do it another, subsequent time. Hopefully you can understand my confusion.

attachicon.gifIMG_4817.JPG

When I did my retirement extension in July the slip that was put in was for address reporting, nothing for the 90 day report. The previous year when I did my first extension they put in 2 slips, one for address reporting and one for 90 day report.

Maybe he put the wrong slip in your passport.

When I did my retirement extension in July the slip that was put in was for address reporting, nothing for the 90 day report. The previous year when I did my first extension they put in 2 slips, one for address reporting and one for 90 day report.

A 90 day report is an address report. They are the same thing.

• Like 1

No they are not, the wording is slightly different and the address report has 2 names on it, the 90 day report has only one. I am not going to bother scanning them, believe what you want.

Does the date of entry count towards the 90 days?. This site says:

Thailand requires all foreigners to report their address to Thai Immigration if they remain in Thailand for 90 consecutive days from date of entry or from their last address reporting date. You can make the report up to 15 days early or 7 days late – there is no fee charged. But, if you are more than 7 days late, Immigration will fine you 2,000 Baht. ...

"From the date of entry"...Guess Date of entry counts as day 1.

Can you actually leave Thailand on the 90th day and not face the 2000 bhat penalty.. (yes its not advisable to leave exactly on the day a visa expires..but what about the day your 90-day expires).

What if the 90th day is a weekend day (Saturday or Sunday) when immigration is closed..I guess we have to report earlier when immigration is open.

Does anyone know if the 2000 bhat fine will be payable when exiting Thailand? (if we havent reported on or before 90 days) or is it be payable when we go to Immigration again to do a report.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Does anyone know if the 2000 bhat fine will be payable when exiting Thailand? (if we havent reported on or before 90 days) or is it be payable when we go to Immigration again to do a report.

If you stay in the country more than 90 days and fail to report you won't be charged for late reporting when exiting. But if you come back they might charge you the next time you report or visit an immigration office.

No they are not, the wording is slightly different and the address report has 2 names on it, the 90 day report has only one. I am not going to bother scanning them, believe what you want.

The purpose of a 90 day report is to report that you have stayed in the country for 90 days and to report your address (TM47).

• Like 1

The purpose of a 90 day report is to report that you have stayed in the country for 90 days and to report your address (TM47).

Sounds like you have never seen the white slip stapled in the passport for alien address reporting.

When you did your first extension Sandy, you have to notify your address (TM28).

You are given two receipts, one confirming that you have notified address, one next report date.

Thereafter you must report that you have stayed in the Country for 90 days and confirm your address.

If you want proof that you are also reporting your address every 90 days, then look no further than your Extension Stamp.

'Notification of Residence must be made every 90 Days' (Last line before the issue number).

Immigration would expect you to confirm the same address as notified on the original TM28.

If you completed a TM47 with a different address, then bells would ring because you have notified change of address (TM28).

Edited by Faz

Address reporting slip.

attachicon.gifaddr slip 001.jpg

Yep, that's from a TM28 just as I said. It is notification of your registered address in Thailand.

You only need to complete that form once, unless you move to a new address (or stay in another province longer than 24 hours according to the form heading)

Edited by Faz