Is there a way to get around the 49-51% rule?

No way around it Luke.

But with preferred shares, voting rights, pre-signed and non-dated share transfer forms, resignation letters, signed ID copies, you can have some level of control of your company.

Of course, you may want to also have "loan" documents where the Thais have "loaned" the money from you to be valid shareholders (i.e. they bought shares), otherwise having Thai nominees is also not legal...assuming they did not contribute financially to the company.

But a Thai that is bent on causing you problems can cause you a lot of problems if they know how to...

No way around the 49/51...

Stupid xenophobic Thai laws and they want foreign investment but refuse to give rights. They are scared for real competition based on competence.

I'm with Thais on this one,they are not going to lose their country by being bought out on the cheap like so many western countries!

• Like 1

Quick question.

Where (geographically) do you derive your income from. Thailand or overseas clients?

The income of the business will be derived from Thailand, for those who are curious about what type of business it is, its a vending machine business.

Edited by Lukecan

No way around it Luke.

But with preferred shares, voting rights, pre-signed and non-dated share transfer forms, resignation letters, signed ID copies, you can have some level of control of your company.

Of course, you may want to also have "loan" documents where the Thais have "loaned" the money from you to be valid shareholders (i.e. they bought shares), otherwise having Thai nominees is also not legal...assuming they did not contribute financially to the company.

But a Thai that is bent on causing you problems can cause you a lot of problems if they know how to...

No way around the 49/51...

Stupid xenophobic Thai laws and they want foreign investment but refuse to give rights. They are scared for real competition based on competence.

I'm with Thais on this one,they are not going to lose their country by being bought out on the cheap like so many western countries!

I just want to import a couple of vending machines from my country and install them in attractive locations mate, don't want to buy their country on the cheap.

Yes. Voting and non- voting shares. The power to sign checks can rest with only you

as well. Just dont use your wife or gf as a. shareholder.

I've used the voting and non- voting shares approach as well.

Also, if your business is focused on 100% export sales, I believe your company can be 100% foreign owned, according to advice I received from a Thai lawyer.

• Like 1