Help! How to improve my slow webcam speed via windows 7

nabbie

Hi, I am concerned about slow speed webcam. If I move my hand, the webcam will show a slight blurring of the movement. How annoying!

1. Webcam model : ET USB 2760 Webcam - should I buy the better one?

2. Broadband speed at 10Mb/512Kb - is that good enough sufficient to meet standard webcam quality?

3. Windows 7, 64 bit, RAM 4GB, i3-2100 CPU - is that ok?

4. Skype - should I seek for alternative one?

5. Any other issues that blinding me?

Is one of the above affecting the webcam's speed? Or from my internet server provider's? Any solutions / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

All of this defined and affects your final video:

Pixel Resolution ( H x V dots)

Color Depth (8/16/24/32-bit color)

Sensor speed (specifications/ability to capture images at a certain light level within a certain timeframe)

Digital Refresh Rate (frames per second)

Digital Encoding and Compression Time for live video (upconverting or downconverting the native sensor data and fps to 'fit' the required digital encoding format)

Sometimes the issue is the equivalent of slow shutter speed, but here the image sensor isn't quick enough to keep up with your selected fps in the given light conditions and the sensor takes more time to capture the image so the captures frame images are "averaged" together.

Similar things can happen when a processor is overtasked and the firmware is forced to average frame images to keep up, or when converting from 'native' sensor format to a fixed digital format.

Try dramatically increasing the ambient light level on the objects you want captured. Or, reduce the resolution and/or or color depth.

Otherwise a better camera (with higher "Pro" specifications) might also help.

Your 512K upload bandwidth limitation isn't helping. But that's "their" problem, not yours. You're seeing the blurring effect on "your" screen, before it's sent.

I tried looking up your current webcam, originally designed by eMPIA Technology, to look for comparisons but there's not much data available on its SPECS.

The Logitech HD Pro C920 is one of the cameras that sites are recommending for video conferencing (or making presentations videos).

Seems a good alternative to purchasing an actual full-blown video camera.

[Note: there are some driver/feature issues when using the C920 webcam with Windows 7 compared to Windows 8 or 10).

Also suggest taking a look at this blog article:

How to look good on webcam and Skype video

Bill Myers Online | undated