Erawan Shrine now sealed off for a two-week long repairs

webfact

Erawan Shrine now sealed off for a two-week long repairs

11910616_10153583070053637_2030216980_n-

BANGKOK: -- Fine Arts Department's traditional craftsmen today sealed off the Erawan shrine to begin repairing the four-faced Brahma (Phra Phrom) statute which was slightly damaged by the deadly bomb explosion on August 17 leaving 20 dead and 120 injured.

The craftsmen covered the sacred shrine with cloth to begin the repairs but the compound is still not closed to worshippers.

Worshippers still flocked in to pray and receive blessings from the shrine from the outside and the vicinity of the shrine.

Earlier survey of the four-faced Brahma (Phra Phrom) statute inside the Erawan shrine showed 12 spots on the statute and the glass shrine were slightly damaged although the bomb was placed five metres away at the wall fence.

Significant damage was caused to a face of the statute which its chin was ripped apart.

But fine arts craftsmen said overall damages are slight and it was unnecessary to remove the statute from the shrine for repairs.

It will be repaired on the site with cement plaster.

The repairs will take about two weeks.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/erawan-shrine-now-sealed-off-for-a-two-week-long-repairs

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-25

I was there on Saturday morning and there were signs of the blast everywhere. It really does need to be repaired properly, otherwise every time people go there they will be reminded of the tragedy that occurred. Yes, one could argue that this is not a bad thing, but I don't think at a shrine such as Erawan, this is the best way to go about it. Perhaps a plaque or similar in memory of those who lost their lives would be more suitable.

Firstly I'm not a Buddhist so I have no idea what is considered the proper time to morn those who lost there lives at the shrine Now about honoring those killed That might be best served by bring those responsible for the bombing to swift justice. Shutting down the shrine for repairs is only right. But to place a plaque or something similar is lacking in good taste and would detract from what the shrine is there honoring in the first place.

What! I walked past it 1 hour ago and it was open. They have a police man standing around watching things, although I doubt a second bomb will be detonated there?

"The craftsmen covered the sacred shrine with cloth to begin the repairs but the compound is still not closed to worshippers"

That's what!

I was there on Saturday morning and there were signs of the blast everywhere. It really does need to be repaired properly, otherwise every time people go there they will be reminded of the tragedy that occurred. Yes, one could argue that this is not a bad thing, but I don't think at a shrine such as Erawan, this is the best way to go about it. Perhaps a plaque or similar in memory of those who lost their lives would be more suitable.

The Hyatt just sent out a note saying The Erawan Tea Room is closed until the end of September...I guess people don't want to gaze down on a scene of mass murder while sipping their Lapsang Souchon