U.S. soldier missing during Vietnam war identified in Cambodia

geovalin

PHNOM PENH, Aug. 25 (Xinhua) -- The remains of a U.S. serviceman missing in Cambodia from the Vietnam war were identified and will be buried in the U.S. state of Arkansas, the U. S. embassy said on Tuesday.

Army Maj. Dale Richardson, 28, was aboard a UH-1H Huey helicopter which was en route to Fire Support Base Katum in southern Vietnam on May 2, 1970, when it was diverted to Cambodia due to bad weather.

"After flying into Cambodian airspace, the aircraft came under heavy enemy ground fire, causing the pilot to make an emergency landing in Kampong Cham Province, Cambodia," the embassy said in a statement.

The helicopter's four crewmen and its four passengers survived the landing. One crewman later returned to friendly lines, it said.

The other three crewmen and one passenger were captured. Two of the captured crewmen were released by the Vietnamese in 1973, and the remains of the other two captured men were returned to the United States in the 1980s and identified.

"Richardson died at the site of the crash during a firefight with enemy forces. His remains were not recovered after the firefight," the statement said.

A joint U.S.-Cambodia team excavated a burial site and recovered his remains in February 2012.

U.S. scientists analyzed circumstantial evidence and used forensic identification tools to include mitochondrial DNA, which matched Richardson's sister, the statement said.

On March 31, the U.S. Department of Defense said the remains of two additional U.S. servicemen were recovered in the same location in Kampong Cham province. Army Staff Sgt. Bunyan Price Jr., 20, and Sgt. Rodney Griffin, 21, were also passengers aboard the same helicopter with Richardson.

There are 1,629 American service members that are still unaccounted for in the Vietnam War, the statement said.

source: http://www.globalpost.com/article/6635886/2015/08/25/us-solider-missing-during-vietnam-war-identified-cambodia

Just another victim of this filthy ill gotten war.

and countless subsequent ill gotten wars since then. When will they learn?

Probably not until war stops being so profitable and those in power are brought to justice for representing big business instead of representing their citizens!!

Probably not until war stops being so profitable and those in power are brought to justice for representing big business instead of representing their citizens!!

and before then.

Who would disagree that war is not a good thing?

and before then.

Who would disagree that war is not a good thing? But instead of blasting away at the reasons for not waging war....lets try to focus on the young men that found their way home...and to the peace it gives to their family and friends.

You whinny a$$ ฺฺ๖ไtches complaining about the war in Vietnam, should remember that if it weren't for that war, Thailand would probably be a communist country now. You would have no place to P4P now. Go back to your little Tee Rak and see if she is available.

727 I've heard similar stories. I don't believe them and I know some of what the US government is capable of. I think there is a possibility that a few POW were kept(why?), but all the MIA/POW noise, Rambo etc. movies probably caused their death. I do know for a fact that some MIA's were never MIA. The government used them as propaganda knowing full well they were dead. My then father in law's squadron lost 2 pilots in a midair. They were dead, everybody knew but were listed MIA. The squadron was forbidden to talk about it. I also know of one story from a former Navy SEAL I attended New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy with. He was very late in the war, young, 1st assignment, US was bugging out. Their job was to go to those GI's that had gone AWOL, had been located, most with Vietnamese ladies, and give them "a chance" to go back to the states. Knock on door, come back with us, NO, bang. Another MIA. One American was located a year or so ago that had Vietnamese grandkids, could barely remember English and they had a hell of time getting him back to the states if I remember. A damned stupid war for nothing. A lot of brave people on both sides died, there and later. RIP all, Semper Fi.

hey, very farfetched, lets try to show some respect for the Major. Did you serve in VN, Lao, Cambodia? What do you know? You know nothing. You better learn history. I'm not a a whining whatever. USMC Sgt-Vietnam 1966/67, Vietnam Veterans Against the War.

Rest in peace Major. No one is whining - however as a Vietnam Veteran who served and still cannot visit the Memorial in Washington DC as the emotional trauma would be to much, I share the heartache that surrounded this period of American history. It was the wrong war, at the wrong time fighting the wrong people. Our American government got it wrong but we can and do respect those who served and especially those who paid with their lives. I can remember it like it was yesterday and all the lies and tremendous waste of resources that brought it about. Can you imagine what America would be like if a succession of politicians had not wasted our precious resources both money and lives in Vietnam and Iraq. Instead, using this money to better the lives of our people. It really is tragic.

You whinny <deleted> ฺฺ๖ไtches complaining about the war in Vietnam, should remember that if it weren't for that war, Thailand would probably be a communist country now. You would have no place to P4P now. Go back to your little Tee Rak and see if she is available.

and, your point is what? Have another.

You whinny <deleted> ฺฺ๖ไtches complaining about the war in Vietnam, should remember that if it weren't for that war, Thailand would probably be a communist country now. You would have no place to P4P now. Go back to your little Tee Rak and see if she is available.

and, your point is what? Have another.

Ah ah! Nice one...yes, american here surely helped to get rid of communists...they probably failed in Vietnam but they suceed here. You made my day man!

There were 1205 by most reports but some say 1700 that were not returned because the USA would not pay N. Vietnam two or four billion.. Nixon impeached and congress voted to pay nothing.. Easy to find what went on.. No problem just declare them dead.

https://youtu.be/QGmBGBbXrQE

&lt;deleted&gt; is wrong with you? Talk about spouting BS. &lt;deleted&gt;

In retrospect, the war could have been avoided but a lot of missteps were made. Then to, the COMINTERN was strongly behind the war and Ho and Vo Nguyen Giap shuttled back and forth between Beijing and Moscow before any important decision was made. It as though countries stumble into war. One of the worst tragedies of the 1940s, (besides WW II) the partition of India and Pakistan, was caused by the poor treatment of Jinnah by Ghandi and Nehru. He had been staunchly for a united country before they alienated him. Of course, Hindus generally discriminated against the Muslims. The slaughter was terrible and was witnessed by the Mountbattens who maintained a frenetic schedule visiting all of the refugee camps. Many of the 20th century's wars were brought about by a variety of missteps. We should not over-simplify the causes.

727 I've heard similar stories. I don't believe them and I know some of what the US government is capable of. I think there is a possibility that a few POW were kept(why?), but all the MIA/POW noise, Rambo etc. movies probably caused their death. I do know for a fact that some MIA's were never MIA. The government used them as propaganda knowing full well they were dead. My then father in law's squadron lost 2 pilots in a midair. They were dead, everybody knew but were listed MIA. The squadron was forbidden to talk about it. I also know of one story from a former Navy SEAL I attended New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy with. He was very late in the war, young, 1st assignment, US was bugging out. Their job was to go to those GI's that had gone AWOL, had been located, most with Vietnamese ladies, and give them "a chance" to go back to the states. Knock on door, come back with us, NO, bang. Another MIA. One American was located a year or so ago that had Vietnamese grandkids, could barely remember English and they had a hell of time getting him back to the states if I remember. A damned stupid war for nothing. A lot of brave people on both sides died, there and later. RIP all, Semper Fi.

Thanks for the reply: I too thought basically the same way.. Did you watch the video ?.. It is just one video of several that are available plus there are many articles that say the same thing. I crossed paths with 3 different individuals who after the war were going to S.E.Asia and trying to find POWS particularly in Laos.. (we lost depending on who you want to believe 250 to 500 guys in Laos and got ZERO returned) They were all basically saying the same thing the video said.. It really is to horrible to contemplate living in a tiger cage and being worked to death.. Again watch the video or do your own research there is plenty of info on the subject. I used that BBC video simply because it was well done and researched, The F-111 guys who survived the ejection were sent to Russia even Yeltsin knew of the transfer and tried to help but nothing came of it...

The first video I posted; just watch the first 3 minutes if to busy to watch the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/4hr37eE0nO8 a little on John boy and how info was withheld.. I would not hold anything against those who made anti-USA videos or written statements after the Vietnamese special treatment.

https://youtu.be/_WfF12cwj44 old story 21 minute video I knew Bo and he certainly believed there were those left behind.

again no one take my word for it just spend a couple of hours doing your own research. Satellite pictures of survival codes stamped or made in the jungle and eye witness reports.... there are plenty of back ground information for anyone who wants to know the truth. I actually had two POWS where I worked and flew with them on occasion. They also said there were guys left behind... Just words ?

I was in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Thailand from 69 to 70 and then again from 73 to 76.. Does not make me an expert on any of this stuff.... I just have very strong feelings that the USA in all it's wars from WW1 left POWs behind due to them being inconvenient.

We should all stick to the real story about long lost remains being identified and returned home for proper services and burial. If you want to debate history, please do so in a different thread. C'mon people a bit of respect!

As a side note to this article, the last person listed, Sgt Rodney Griffin, was a resident of Centralia, Missouri, 13 miles from Mexico, MO where I lived. Although I did not know him personally, nor meet him in-country, his older brother was a car salesman at the local Chevy dealer and did serve on the city council in the late 80's, when I was on the police force. The Sgt's family always had hoped that he had somehow survived the war and would return home. The family had been informed when he went MiA, but for several years did not know the details of his disappearance. His hometown had named a street in his honor. Over the years they learned the details of his last mission. They also had held out hope that a photograph of a blindfolded captured soldier, that they were sure was him. His brother displayed a POW-MiA flag till the day the family was informed his remains had been recovered and identified. May he rest in peace in the land of his birth, with his family near.

R.I.P Major ! at last he will be given the send off he deserves and his family have closure after all these years . Soldiers who are killed should always be returned to there homeland and not left behind in a field to rot . I still believe to this day the U.S. Government did not do enough to ensure that all those killed or MIA's were returned as it was all down to cost, they the government abandoned those who fought in a war that should never have happened.

Rest in peace Major. No one is whining - however as a Vietnam Veteran who served and still cannot visit the Memorial in Washington DC as the emotional trauma would be to much, I share the heartache that surrounded this period of American history. It was the wrong war, at the wrong time fighting the wrong people. Our American government got it wrong but we can and do respect those who served and especially those who paid with their lives. I can remember it like it was yesterday and all the lies and tremendous waste of resources that brought it about. Can you imagine what America would be like if a succession of politicians had not wasted our precious resources both money and lives in Vietnam and Iraq. Instead, using this money to better the lives of our people. It really is tragic.

totally agree with you. well said.

Archived