Considering Korat

sbaker8688

Considering going to Korat for a spell. There's someone who wants me to visit, potentially.

First question, will I be an "alien" there, or are there enough farangs about that I won't be?

Second question, where are some good apartments? I don't like to live like Thais, jammed in these monstrous noisy skyscraper developments. Something reasonably priced with an aircon, a refridge, and decent internet (able to stream a video from youtube with no problem). Also if the staff knows enough english so that I can do things like pay rent and negotiate terms and what not, that would be great. I hate staying at places where I have to call an interpreter to come over to speak with management on something.

Third question, what's the best way to get there from, say, Bangkok? A bus perhaps?

Fourthly, how do you like it there?

Thanks.

Your friend in Korat may be a goldmine for information.

I'd like to get this information from farangs, at least initially. What thais consider to be ok places to live, or what thais consider to be ok for transportation, and what farangs generally consider these things to be, are often two different things. For instance, my ex-gf thought nothing of sitting in a van for 15 straight hours packed with other thais, no aircon, driving cross country.

Edited by sbaker8688

There's not a lot happening in Korat for some strange reason..

Suspect mainly because it is an industrial city and not noted as a tourist destination. About 3-4 hours by bus from Bangkok. Used to have flights but believe those have all been cancelled. Here are transportation ideas:

http://www.thailandredcat.com/how-to-get-from-bangkok-to-nakhon-ratchasima-korat/

Some condo rental examples.

Best place to get info about korat is join korat/expat on face book if you want information from people that lives there. Korat is a big city so it will take time to get to now the place it is plenty of service apartments to rent from price is from 4-10000 month you even get house for that if you rent for 6 months. Here are some some hangouts for falang The mall , check in. The ram bar , George dragon. Bus from morchit every 20 min.

Korat don't have A big A population as KhonKaen.Udon I imagine still has A large farang population.

When you get to Korat visit The Mall.It is on Rt.2. Go to around the MCDonalds and you will find farangs around there that will

Help you with your questions.

The phrase "You think too much" keeps coming to mind. I just get on with life and take things as they come, realizing nothing is permanent nor written in stone. One can just move on if one chooses. Of course I understand everybody is different but I started to realize a few years back that all the things I was worrying about and thought were very important...were almost totally insignificant when compared to the grander scale of things in this very short lifetime.

I think you need to do some more homework if you don't even know how to get there.

As to huge sky scraper complexes in Korat - there aren't any. Lots of new housing developments aimed at Bangkokians fed up with 'the big smoke' or the annual floods. Although central Korat also floods occasionally.

Housing developments in this area are quite expensive for the above reason, and living in a small 3 bedroom bungalow in a concrete jungle development will cost anything from abou 10,000 upwards p/m.

Only one major shopping Mall:The Mall. Although there are one or two other new developments on the ring-road.

If you walk through The Mall you'll see plenty of foreigners, but apart from the English teachers, most of them are over 60 and sitting in a group of other retired expats.

There's a Thai nightlife area, but you really need to have integrated if you want to try that type of thing, as you need to speak good Thai.

Been in Korat over 5 years now. Not a ton of expats, but a good group that is pretty active(and growing). You won't be an alien here, but if your Thai is not the best,it may be a little tedious at times (restaurants/etc). Apartments/condos are readily available for Rent(western style), but quality depends on your budget. I own Century 21 Korat here and can help you find a place/talk about the different areas of town. And lastly, best way to get here is by private taxi/van(again depends on budget). Otherwise taking the bus is probably your 2nd best option(no flights right now, but new airline coming soon). PM me for further info/questions.

Cheers,

Ron

I just bought a house for 3.5 million in a excellent new area and if you want farangs or white man then I would think on that. For me it's no problem because I've been married to my wife for 13 years and everything is going well. If you need that I would think on it as you don't even know how to get their. Now I can tell you it's the new and upcoming in Thailand.

Sincerely Kevin Matthew Wall

Korat don't have A big A population as KhonKaen.Udon I imagine still has A large farang population.

When you get to Korat visit The Mall.It is on Rt.2. Go to around the MCDonalds and you will find farangs around there that will

Help you with your questions.

check the Coffee outlets near the Grocery store X pats around, Walrus Pub also in town

I found myself in Korat once due to unforeseen circumstances, and I have to say I really liked the city. It has a great vibe. It's pretty unique since the province has a different dialect (Thai-Korat) which put my Thai to a new test. The people were really friendly too. I cant remember the name of the hotel I stayed at; some little boutique place on the high street. No breakfast but great room. I found this this list of 25 things to do in Korat for you. Enjoy!

I've spent a fair bit of time around Korat province and in Korat city. I checked it out a couple years back as a possibility to move there but decided I would be bored fast. I was last up there a couple months ago to join the Korat Hash House Harriers on a run. So that would be my suggestion to you. If you like a run or a walk in the countryside, followed by a few cold beers, then contact the Korat Hash and go meet them. You meet a friendly bunch of expats who have lived there for many years and know the ropes and the lay of the land, and can be mines of information. You'll also be part of an instant social goup.

Ive stayed at Phimai near korat which is ok but mainly Thai,i am thinking of buying a house in the korat/Phimai area for about 1.2 ml baht does anyone have any suggestions & advice to which area's are available but not in the town centres

Thanks

you cant buy any house but your wife or gf.can.you wont get much for 1.2ml.bht. bunglows on a mooban about 5kilometers from korat city start around 2.2ml.bht.

I found myself in Korat once due to unforeseen circumstances, and I have to say I really liked the city. It has a great vibe. It's pretty unique since the province has a different dialect (Thai-Korat) which put my Thai to a new test. The people were really friendly too. I cant remember the name of the hotel I stayed at; some little boutique place on the high street. No breakfast but great room. I found this this list of 25 things to do in Korat for you. Enjoy!

Excellent link...........really enjoyed it, finally somthing positive to feed the "There's nothing to do in Korat" naysayers.................welcomeani.gif

There's lots of other things to do in and around Korat.

1. The zoo is quite nice. Google maps coordinates (simply copy and past them into google maps): 14.850268,102.074833

2. They also have a petrified wood museum, quite close to the zoo, but just like the zoo it's not in town. Coordinates: 14.85801,102.027012

3. Phimai historical part is definitely worth seeing. You can take a bus to Phimai from the main bus station in Korat which isn't that far from the mall. It's about 30 clicks from Korat to Phimai. Coordinates: Phimai 15.221086,102.493835

Bus station in Korat: 14.98911,102.094687

4. There's a place called Sai Ngam that features a mangrove cove that's a thousand years old, if I remember correctly. You can walk underneeath the trees and check out the awesome aerial roots which have turned into additional trunks. The entire cove is one organism. It's on the way to Khon Khaen. Coordinates: 15.226376,102.504189

5. About 50 clicks in direction of Bangkok is an ancient (1000+ year old) reclining Buddha statue in a temple called Wat Dhammmarachraksemaram. The village it's in is called Sung Noen. Coordinates: 14.917013,101.79423

6. In Korat you will find a tiny temple called Wat Phayap a.k.a. cave temple which's walls and ceilings are decorated with crystals and stalagmites/stalactites. Coordinates: 14.978534,102.099315

7. In regards to national parks there's Khao Yai national park (you can take a bus to Pak Chong and then rent a scooter in Pak Chong and drive to the park yourself. If you really want to explore this park you will need a vehicle. The fee for the scooters is 300/day. You can rent them in the park as well, but they're more expensive). Coordinates of the scooter rental place: 14.70289,101.412392

Then there's Wang Nam Khiao. I've been there only once during an English camp and have no idea what's there that's worth seeing. Wikipedia might be able to tell you. Coordinates: 14.70289,101.412392

Then there's a park that's adjacent of Khao Yai called Thaplan. You can book trekking tours there. They have a 4 day-tour. You will hike 2 days into the jungle to a place where there's 3 over 100 meter long fossilized dinosaur footsteps in the rock next to a creek. I'm not sure if you can book the tour in the park. The best way would probably to google it. Coordinates:

8. Also on the way to Khon Khaen is a 900+ year old temple ruin called Prasat Phanom Wan. You can search for that on google maps. It's about 20 clicks from Korat. You could do that together with Sai Ngam. Coordinates: 15.025095,102.193653

9. 134 clicks east of Korat are two ancient temple ruins worth seeing. They're a few clicks apart from each other. The first one (closer to Korat and up on a hill with a great view on clear days) is called Phanom Rung Historical Park. Coordinates: 14.531703,102.940412

The second one is called Mueang Tam. It's 141 clicks from Korat. Coordinates: 14.496119,102.98245

10. Korat has a park that's open until 8 pm or so. If jogging or inline skating is your thing then that's the place to do it. There's a lake in the middle and the track around it is just over 3 km long. Coordinates of the park entrance: 14.963438,102.090103

11. On the way from Korat to Bangkok is a cave called Khao Chan-Ngam which features prehistoric cave paintings. It's more an overhang than a cave, though, but the place is really nice!! It's about 60 clicks from Korat. Coordinates: 14.814705,101.595318 There's a temple there, too, called Wat Khao Chan Ngam.

12. Also in direction of Bangkok from the Khao Chan-Ngam cave is a gigantic white marble buddha statue located on a mountainside. It's clearly visible from the main road. The temple it belongs to is called Wat Thep Phitak Punnaram. Coordinates: 14.616278,101.26545

I have been to Korat zoo and I was very impressed, it takes a lot to impress me.

Sorry I have not been to KK Zoo so I cant comment. Has it been reopened yet after the accident with the trolley car?

I've lived in Phimai for 10 months and sorry but the " 25 things to do in Korat" just confirm how little there is of any real interest. The zoo ,like most, is in a pretty sorry state but the water park is quite refreshing for a day though not exactly blessed with thrilling rides(1) although the swimming is quite nice. There are Wats,but really after you've seen a few anywhere they really are same old same old with a few very good exceptions.korat city itself has little to offer other than the Mall but that's just shopping.All very well talking about Kao Yai but that's half way to Bangkok! The whole area is pretty flat and featureless requiring a long drive to get to see any natural beauty.Having driven to Chiangmai and separately to Kanhom on sightseeing tours there's a lot better than around here and both the wife and I have decided that a move away from here is essential in the near future.

Huge army base, nothing for foreigners to do except drink themselves to death.

Find yourself an online date from somewhere else.

Korat Thai is a variation on Lao/Issan, so you can't learn the local language, they teach central Thai, hardly anywhere with English either.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Ketawa gardenia resort south of town is a little resort south of town. It's a mom and pop operation. The dad was a machinist with the USAF back during the war, he has pretty good English skill. Google the location, near petrified tree museum.

Huge army base, nothing for foreigners to do except drink themselves to death.

Find yourself an online date from somewhere else.

Korat Thai is a variation on Lao/Issan, so you can't learn the local language, they teach central Thai, hardly anywhere with English either.

I live in Korat and I dont drink.

I enjoy living here.coffee1.gif

Korat is a nice little city with a small expat community but there are also a lot of expats living in the surrounding countryside that use Korat to meet up with others and do their shopping an other personal business (including me). There are two expat sites on Facebook you may want to try for more information. If you don't have a car to get up to Korat, taking a bus from Mor Chit is easy and there are buses leaving regular all day long. Best of luck!

https://web.facebook.com/groups/koratexpats/

https://web.facebook.com/whatsonkorat?fref=ts