Residential Areas In Pattaya

MartinBKK

I have visited Pattaya a few times now but would appreciate the advice of long stayers who know the city far better than i do.

Im currently considering relocating to Pattaya from Bangkok. I am a young guy who likes some fun from time to time but also appreciates quiet when i want to sleep or work. I would be looking to rent a house NOT an apartment/condo.

Which area of Pattaya offers good value for money, is quiet but has good transport links to the action?

Which area would you prefer to live in when choosing accomodation in Pattaya?

Could you recommend a good rental agent?

I would be grateful for any help you can offer. :o

Jomtien is only 5-10 minutes on a bht bus into the action of Pattaya.

There are plenty of quieter bars, restaurants, Tesco Lotus and Big C. S life is easy to live in this area. The night life is quieter in Jomtien, so getting a good night sleep is easy, while mainting a close enough distance to Pattaya to get into the action paying only 10bht and returning home only 10bht. The beach is quiet in Jomtien and in my opinion it is also cleaner. There are not so many farang type hooligans in this area.

There are some houses in this area up for rent now and I would be happy to get the telephone numbers of the agent and forward them on to you. If you would like more information, please PM me

With regards to Jomtien, I lived right there on Dongtan beach facing the police station for a few months. I'll warn you right now that if you're facing the beach, there are more parties on each night than you've got toes to count. The police won't be going around saying "shhhh!" or "hey fellas, can you keep it down, there's farrangs trying to sleep before 3am."

I would recommend Naklua. You can stay anywhere from soi 22 to 16 and feel like you're in Munich or go further North to the market area which boasts a really nice seaside park (a rarity in this town). If I didn't have such a dislike of driving on Naklua Rd., I would have moved to that area myself. Other option is to use Sukhumvit to get in/out.

My other suggestion is to get something out of town past Jomtien on the way to Sattahip. My friends are renting a swanky palace for 20k/month all included.

Martinbkk,

If you want good value for your money then I would suggest that there are some good properties for rent are over the other side of the Sukhumvit rd, have a lot of expats live out that way towards Siam country club, a quiet location. There are a lot of upmarket estates over there and it is possible to get a 3 bed house for under 15000baht long term.

As always the further out of town you go the cheaper it gets, if you come from Pattaya Klang and head straight over the Sukhumvit rd for aprox 5 minutes drive that’s the location I am talking about.

The only problem for you would then be traveling in to town for those nights out!! :D

I Rented a place for a while at the back of Num Chai (on Sukhumvit nr Top of Pattaya Klang), 2 bed at 15000 a month, it was closer to town, but if I were to ever rent again I would move further out.

Also as already posted, I believe there are a few decent estates out towards Jomtiem on the Threppasit rd.

All the best,

Desertcam :o

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. The sound of loud parties every night does not appeal at all. The most important thing is that i can sleep when it's convenient for me, not for noisy farang tourists!!!!

A house for less than 15,000 baht per month sounds good although i am pretty fussy. I like my accomodation to be of a high standard. My budget is 20k per month although of course i would like to pay less.

Desertcam why would you rent a place further out next time? Did you have problems living at Num Chai? How would i going about finding something further out? Is an agent the best idea? Any publications that i could peruse? If you could drop me a few contacts (for agents) i would be extremely grateful.

i am in the process of moving to pratamnak road (cosy beach, its in between jomiten and pattaya), its quiet up there and it is very close to the town for the nightlife (3-5 minutes to walking street), there are not many houses up there but you might be able to find something at a reasonable price. When i come here i got a taxi driver from the hotel to take me around the estates and we just rung up numbers as we saw them advertised for rent...

The reason why I would move a little further out of town is mainly because of the better value for money, also the estate that I was living on was quite old, and they started construction work nearby which didn’t help! Had no problems with regard to security or noise levels though (from neighbours). I had only planned to stay there for 6 months.

If you have a budget of around 20k, you will have plenty to choose from.

When I have looked for property in the past I have normally gone by word of mouth, or just drove about the areas and arranged things privately. Going through an agent will obviously cost you more. I have settled in Jomtiem in a condo, but I have quite a few friends some with young families who live out in the area I suggested, and are happy there.

The Pattaya Mail always has a decent amount of listings within it, out every Friday, should give you a start.

Desertcam :o

Even for a younger guy who " Likes some fun ", I would agree East of town, Mabprachan/Siam Country Club etc is the way to go for quality of life. Living in the sweetie shop will give you bad teeth and an even worse wallet situation. In the sticks there are a number of bars for your quiet mid-week pint and the cookie jar is a short hop skip and a jump down the road. Better to have it all on your doorstep than get quickly bored by living on top of it. Just an opinion.

Best to pick an area you like and hit the moo baans and sois and look for the signs on the gates.

There are many houses for rent but very few are listed with agents or advertised in the papers.

You could also try the boards at Carefour, Foodland, Friendship etc.

Sorry i forgot to mention that any place i rent needs to be in an ADSL area.

I assume all the central areas are but can you get ADSL out of town?

Yes you can get ADSL out of town, just dont venture too far out.

Transport to anywhere outside of Pattaya is not easy, sure - it can be done, but would be a hassle not having transport.

As already suggested, get on your bike and look yourself, if you go thru an agent you wont be able to cut as good a deal as they need their commision.

Also worth looking at notice boards at various places around town, Foodland, Friendship etc.

Good Luck

Just telling it like it is guys.

And you know I'm right, otherwise you would not be so quick to make futile attempts to paint a different picture of Pattaya, other than the one you know is true.

Ok, try this little test....

1. Do you think Pattaya does not have traffic problems that are getting worse ?

2. Do you think there are large numbers of prostitutes and sex tourists in Pattaya ?

3. Do you think Pattaya is a calm peaceful place to enjoy the pristine beaches and crystal clear waters of the Gulf of Siam, with a low crime rate to boot ?

4. Do you just hate me for giving a true portrayal of the place ?

5.Ever notice the ammount of Farangs from Pattaya who will say " Chonburi " when asked where they live?

I certainly have no desire to sully the reputation of Pattaya, it manages that all by itself.

Just telling it like it is guys.

And you know I'm right, otherwise you would not be so quick to make futile attempts to paint a different picture of Pattaya, other than the one you know is true.

Ok, try this little test....

1. Do you think Pattaya does not have traffic problems that are getting worse ?

Agree with you there, but then most places have the same problem, I suppose you walk everywhere and don't add to this problem.

2. Do you think there are large numbers of prostitutes and sex tourists in Pattaya ?

Agree with you there, but most people there decide to go there, same as Amsterdam and the Reeperbahn , Germany

3. Do you think Pattaya is a calm peaceful place to enjoy the pristine beaches and crystal clear waters of the Gulf of Siam, with a low crime rate to boot ?

Agree beaches are bad, but so is Ko Samui, also Marbella, Spain, Brightons not to good either, crime rate is a problem...

4. Do you just hate me for giving a true portrayal of the place ?

Hate is is big word and nobody here has mentioned it! Is it something that you have had previous problems with?

5.Ever notice the ammount of Farangs from Pattaya who will say " Chonburi " when asked where they live?

Not really, but then I do not live in Pattaya do you ? Where do you live?

I certainly have no desire to sully the reputation of Pattaya, it manages that all by itself.

Then really you don't have to keek adding to your comments.

Sorry but you forgot to add that the area around Pattaya has some of the best golf courses in Asia, the Thai people are really nice, the gold courses are cheap, flights here are good from most countries.The food is good, most people I play golf with here are English speaking, nice decent retired guys who are having a good time (not always in the bars) and enjoy a good climate standard of living ect beyound what they could achive in their home country.

Sorry but you forgot to add that the area around Pattaya has some of the best golf courses in Asia, the Thai people are really nice, the gold courses are cheap, flights here are good from most countries.The food is good, most people I play golf with here are English speaking, nice decent retired guys who are having a good time (not always in the bars) and enjoy a good climate standard of living ect beyound what they could achive in their home country.[/color]

That's true eddy, there are some nice areas outside the main city, good golf courses are plentiful, nice beach too at Bang Saray, and it ain't too far to go to get unspoilt countryside.

I prefer just cruising up and down Yodsak.

Edited by Maigo6

Naklua is a good place to live. Quiet, if that's what you want, but close to the action too if you feel like it. The baht-bus ride from wherever in Naklua is only 10 baht (maybe 5 baht for Thais :o ) for the trip into town.

There are some expensive places but also some bargains at 16-18,000 per month. Might be worth a look?

PS I don't understand why some people hang out on this forum only to slag the place off. If you don't like Pattaya then why not <deleted> off elsewhere and leave us in peace to enjoy it?

I actually quite enjoy the Pattaya trolls. The reason I live here is because it is the most tolerant place I have ever seen and that kind of rubs off on you. No sweat if some idiot wants to take a pop.

As to areas, my advice to Martin would be to rent a month at a time in each area within Pattaya, easy to do hundreds of hotels that will do monthly rates, less easy outside Pattaya but take say a three month rental and just get the flavour.

South Pattaya. Most expensive, living in the middle of the madness. Some love it some do not.

Jomtiem, less expensive. Seen as the English area but very mixed. Can be loud noisy and traffic jammed along the beach particularly on weekends but nowhere near South Pattaya.

Naklua. Less expensive again. Seen as the German area, rightly almost the 4th Reich up there. Much quieter and more family orientated, good beach.

Outside. Prices plummet. Can get a very nice house in a good safe estate for 20,000 baht a month. Will be very very quite after dark which may be what your looking for. Trips in to Pattaya for the nightlife hire a cab for the night, cheap and easy, or get a moped, take in for the evening and stay overnight in a cheap room. Would not recommend riding a moped late at night on country roads sober or not.

Sounds like your looking for the quite life, maybe two nights out a week, so I would say Naklua for in town or outside.

I'm considering moving to Pattaya myself. I have no transport and don't care to live near booming noise. I'm willing to pay 20K up and want to live in a mostly farang building (these have worked out best for me). So hopefully something accessible to those baht trucks or some type of transport, quiet, farang bldg etc. ideas?

A couple of people have mentioned Naklua and from the comments this sounds like an area which is not too noisy but is quite accessable to town. Sounds like it meets my criteria. Next week im planning to go and have a good look around. I think i will check out Naklua first and then have a look at the other recommended areas.

Many thanks to everyone for the response!!