Immigration happiness!

Never thought I would have the opportunity to write this post.

Went to renew my retirement visa today, filled with trepidation and fear I started my day. Having all of my paperwork ready after breakfast (TM7, google map, copies of passport, bankbook and house book) I ventured forth to my bank for the requisite letter and statement if account. Arrived at the SCB in Nathon at 0900 and spent about 30 minutes getting the two required pieces of bureaucracy. Ok, 0930 now and off to Immigration, sweating in thought of the Spanish Inquisition to come.

Arrived at Immigration at 0945 and handed all of my paperwork and passport to the charming lady out front, she gave it a thorough once over, gave me a number and ushered me i side. Another nice young lady checked all my papers again, gave me another number and asked me to wait 30 minutes outside. Ok, 30 minutes are up so in I go. Feel like a Christian entering the Roman Colisseum. Lady says ok and sends me into "the office". Here is where it usually goes egg shaped. Not this time. As I sat down everyones favorite Immigration gentleman looks at me.....and smiles! Oh crap thinks I, this is going to hurt.

Well, it didnt. He immediately starts working on my application, gives it to the pregnant assistant and in 15 minutes I was handed my passport with new visa extension and asked to smile for a picture.

Handed the assistant 2000thb and was out the door like a bandit.

So, 30 minutes for the bank and 60 minutes for immigration.

Yep, today, I am am content.

Obviously a new attitude since the new head of Immigration at the local office took over....thumbsup.gif

My 90 day only took about 15 minutes... My yearly comes up in about a month so hope as smooth!wink.png

There is still a hold up on the new Maenam office opening to get finishing touches done... I'll just say they are waiting for funds... whistling.gif

Bit of a mundane post. Most of us who have all our papers in order it takes 20 minutes to 30 minutes to get a retirement visa. I would call an hour a very long wait. In the last 15 years applying at several different immigration offices, I would think my average time would be about 20 minutes.

There's been a turn for the better there since around April. I hope it continues once they finally move to Maenam.

The great irony is that the road between the traffic lights & Govt hospital is now fully usable and with plenty of space to park on either side! smile.png

(& I hope the sign showing their price list that was forced upon them several years ago doesn't vanish en route!)

Edited by evadgib

Bit of a mundane post. Most of us who have all our papers in order it takes 20 minutes to 30 minutes to get a retirement visa. I would call an hour a very long wait. In the last 15 years applying at several different immigration offices, I would think my average time would be about 20 minutes.

Don't move to Chiang Mai.

Much improved these days. Did my 90 day report last week. In and out in 10 minutes.

They have some quite bright young people working there now. Very refreshing.

Imagine replacing the Somchai's with ladies like this, Instant improvement !

Much improved these days. Did my 90 day report last week. In and out in 10 minutes.

They have some quite bright young people working there now. Very refreshing.

Imagine replacing the Somchai's with ladies like this, Instant improvement !

That should read Somchai's in the Thai police.

Looks like chaos but the system works fairly well.. when you figure it out!

On an unrelated note. Called Liverpool Thai consulate the other day to make an appointment for triple entry tourist visa. Said I was flying out Tuesday evening and asked if I could come in the morning for it. No problem at all she said. This year I should be able to get the maximum 270 days out of it.