Hounded online and off, man commits suicide over Bangkok bombing claim

webfact

Hounded Online and Off, Man Commits Suicide Over Bombing Claim
By Khaosod English

14406630431440663485l.jpg

PATHUM THANI — A man committed suicide last night in his northern metro Bangkok home, days after an online claim was made that he was the bomber behind the Erawan Shrine attack.

Kittisak Meemang, 36, was discovered hanged in his bedroom at his home in Pathum Thani province at around 9pm last night, police told reporters, and his family believes he was hounded into taking his life after someone used his Facebook account to post a message in his name.

“The [statuses] said something like, ‘I am the one who bombed Ratchaprasong Intersection,’” his sister Anchittha Meemang said, referring to the intersection where the shrine is located.

Police ruled his death a suicide, saying they found nothing to indicate he’d been assaulted.

Anchittha said that before killing himself, Kittisak had recounted visiting an internet cafe on Sunday where he forgot to logout from his Facebook account. He told Anchittha that someone must have used his account to post a message claiming he was responsible for the bomb which killed 20 people and injured 150 more.

“I tried talking to him and deleted all the messages on my brother’s Facebook, and I deactivated it to end the problems,” she said, adding they went together to a local police station to file a report together as evidence his account was misused to post the message.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1440663043

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-27

This is the first time I've heard about this guy, or his name, sounds like there's a lot more to this story than his life being made hell, cyber bullying is horrendous, but he wasn't exactly a child, at 36 I'm sure he was well aware of how to use face book etc. Who was hounding him exactly? other face book users that can only post on your page if you're friends, or friends of friends?

Sad case indeed, another victim to add to the other 20 then by all accounts.

Does he match the description of the erawan suspect?

Well if he did at this point it really dosent matter much.........

Yes, it matters

Wouldn't it would be great for the incompetent investigation authorities if they could claim that bomber is found but sadly he was dead already when they arrived...

Case closed

Get back to collecting money at bars and catching people who are not wearing helmets.... Real crimes against Thailand

If he really did it then why the police stopped and checked me several times today? They are everywhere along the roads with a paper full of pictures of the bomber.

I didn't test it but what if i wouldn't stop for them and just pulled up again? right, nothing at all, they even can't get me on their crappy bikes.

The manhunt is still going on which is very good of course.

This could be an area where the cops prosecuting people for disseminating false information could be applied neatly, if they could track down the fellow responsible for posting said message.

Sadly they will no doubt spend their time prosecuting people for disseminating unwanted as opposed to false poitical information instead.

If he really did it then why the police stopped and checked me several times today? They are everywhere along the roads with a paper full of pictures of the bomber.

I didn't test it but what if i wouldn't stop for them and just pulled up again? right, nothing at all, they even can't get me on their crappy bikes.

Maybe you look like the bomb guy so they were distracting you with a random picturebook while you were being scanned by the c.s.i facial recognition software

The highly skilled operators of the computers said your clear , so they let you go.....

Maybe you look like the bomb guy so they were distracting you with a random picturebook while you were being scanned by the c.s.i facial recognition software

The highly skilled operators of the computers said your clear , so they let you go.....

You need a lot of fantasy to see me as the bomber, but he was right though, it could be me. But are they really thinking the bomber drives a motobike downtown? Well it seems so, they all had the paper with his pictures and kept it next to my face haha.

I told him i would kill the bomber which made him laugh, but he couldn't speak english at all, totally nothing. He showed me his bankcards and wanted me to do the same....then he said international, international so i showed him the driverslicenses and that was all. He seemed a nice guy anyway. Not like the crooks who stopped be for the 100 baht like in the past.

This is the first time I've heard about this guy, or his name, sounds like there's a lot more to this story than his life being made hell, cyber bullying is horrendous, but he wasn't exactly a child, at 36 I'm sure he was well aware of how to use face book etc. Who was hounding him exactly? other face book users that can only post on your page if you're friends, or friends of friends?

Sad case indeed, another victim to add to the other 20 then by all accounts.

It says he forgot to logout of FB at an internet cafe. Then , somebody else came along and thought it was cute to make that post on his account.

The alleged internet cafe needs to be investigated.

Also, if the victim went to file a report with his sister, there will be a police report, and if he did go to the police, why was he not questioned VERY deeply at the time?

He probably was, how do you know he was not. Just because it was not stated that he was questions.

RIP. My prayers are with this poor gentleman's family at this terrible time.

It is quite possible that the bombing itself upset him deeply, as it did most people. If he was still upset and hurting over this senseless and evil attack on the city he loved, somebody then posting this hurtful claim on his FB, would have upset him far more than it would under normal circumstances. Many Thai people are still reeling and heartbroken by this wicked assault on their beloved capital, and emotions are heightened for many. It is quite understandable how a person could make irrational decisions when they are so deeply upset already.

RTP maybe wanted him as a scapegoat .... as they do have a history doing so....

I don´t think peddling unsubstantiated rumors in a topic about someone taking his own life due to unsubstantiated rumor mongering on the Internet is nice, is it?