She Cannot Read Or Write!

Graemej100

At 15 literacy is already determined.

What does this mean? It seems to suggest that a 16, 17, 18 and above cannot become literate which is obviously nonsense.

It means, if you are going to learn how to read and write you have done so by 15 years of age or conversely if you have not learned by 15 years of age you probably will not.

So if at 70 you wish to read, write and speak ANY other language you will be unable to as at 15 years old your literacy is already determined?

Really?

Statistically that would be correct. If you are an illiterate person at age 70 the chances of you learning to read and write in any language at that age is statistically very small. Most writing skill studies I have read concentrate on children between 13 and 15 years of age.

If you are trying to say it is probable or easy for an illiterate person to learn to write at 70 as opposed to a child from 7 to 15 I think you would find no teachers agreeing with you.

Yes, really.

I would imagine if 30% if Thai children are functionally illiterate at 15 that a greater percent of Thai adults would be functionally illiterate at any other older age. wai2.gif

To aid your understanding of "functional illiteracy" around 16 per cent, or 5.2 million adults in England, can be described as "functionally illiterate". They would not pass an English GCSE and have literacy levels at or below those expected of an 11-year-old.

http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/adult_literacy/illiterate_adults_in_england

Given the above numbers it is not difficult to understand that many Thais would benefit from adult language courses.

Edited by lostoday

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It starts at home. Slowly and patiently she will trust you and get use to tone and sounds. You use a computer so there is so good info on line Youtube which is a source of videos and teaching aids. Don't worry about writing just speaking and reading. You should use as much Western TV and music as possible. Phonetics, Rosetta Stone. Place-cards on the table etc. If she is required to read to get a Visa and she wants it she will work for it.

Let her go back to where she is from. I am sure she was fine/happy there. You are introducing her to a place where she will always be at a disadvantage and will be looked d own upon by her fellow Thais. Let her go back and find someone else for yourself.

Quitters never win. It's always easy to walk away when things are a challenge. Sorry, I wasn't raised that way.

Let her go back to where she is from. I am sure she was fine/happy there. You are introducing her to a place where she will always be at a disadvantage and will be looked d own upon by her fellow Thais. Let her go back and find someone else for yourself.

Quitters never win. It's always easy to walk away when things are a challenge. Sorry, I wasn't raised that way.

WINNERS NEVER QUIT!

I really don't understand him too. I will never ever look down on people because they can't do something that I can do. I would love to help them. I can't cook and I'm quite sure your woman can do lol and many other things

I think those woman who are not proud of themselves will always find something to look down on other people to make them feel better about themselves

The only thing you need to make sure is she really want to learn and master it . And never give up. I myself have to learn Swedish and lol that scare me very very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't understand him too. I will never ever look down on people because they can't do something that I can do. I would love to help them. I can't cook and I'm quite sure your woman can do lol and many other things

I think those woman who are not proud of themselves will always find something to look down on other people to make them feel better about themselves

The only thing you need to make sure is she really want to learn and master it . And never give up. I myself have to learn Swedish and lol that scare me very very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither was I. You must lead a very sad life chilli42.

Typingdog - fantastic. Thank you for sharing that.

A knew a lady in Pattaya who could not add nor subtract in addition to not being able to read or write. A friend of mine befriended her and taught her to add and subtract and she went to school to learn how to read and write. I don't know what her early life was like or where she was from in Thailand.

"don't know what her early life was like or where she was from in Thailand..."

if a thai, (because a lot of ladies working in pattaya are NOT thai) , her early life and where she came from should has been working in the (rice) fields for a pitance in Issaan since she was young (8/9 years old) ... it's my bet

Yes. You are right with the later. From the back blocks of Surin. But, I suppose it doesn't really matter where she is from, or what her background is. The fact is still that she is illiterate.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'd suggest that she do one day on and one day to get her head around it, maybe even two day's off. Select words that are easy and are used daily by farangs she doesn't need to know words we rarely use. I have seen some classes with lessons that english speakers would find it hard to spell let alone speak. Less is more...

I'd suggest that she do one day on and one day to get her head around it, maybe even two day's off. Select words that are easy and are used daily by farangs she doesn't need to know words we rarely use. I have seen some classes with lessons that english speakers would find it hard to spell let alone speak. Less is more...

The comment of the usage of unusual English words in Thai language classes is very accurate. Keep it simple is the way to go.

Slightly off topic

Quality teachers is the big problem, my next door neighbour teaches English to Adult Thais,he cannot even

hold the most basic of conversations, and all the local children appear to have learned only a couple of stock phrases,"my name is" and " I am fine".

The comment of the usage of unusual English words in Thai language classes is very accurate. Keep it simple is the way to go.

Slightly off topic

Quality teachers is the big problem, my next door neighbour teaches English to Adult Thais,he cannot even

hold the most basic of conversations, and all the local children appear to have learned only a couple of stock phrases,"my name is" and " I am fine".

Thanks for your suggestions but the issue here is that she cannot read or write THAI. English is not even on the radar yet. I hope it will be one day but first things first.

Edited by Graemej100

There is a government run school on Naklua Road Soi 25 that teaches, massage, computers, nails and maybe they help with the Thai language. Great programs and next to nothing cost wise (20 baht a lesson for massage). PM me if you want a telephone number as I will have to get one for you.

I think that's the school my wife went to, to learn how to cut hair.

I let her cut my hair.........once.