Myanmar 'Buddha insult' case: Phil Blackwood finding jail 'tough'

Jonathan Fairfield

Myanmar 'Buddha insult' case: Phil Blackwood finding jail 'tough'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl0p-vVvKpw

The family of a British father jailed in Myanmar for using the image of Buddha to promote his bar say they fear for his life.

Phil Blackwood - who was born in Redcar and has dual citizenship with New Zealand - was sentenced to two and a half years in March for promoting a drinks event by using a poster of Buddha wearing headphones.
It is illegal to insult any religion in the county.
His cousin, Chris Blackwood, told the Victoria Derbyshire programme that he is finding prison incredibly tough and has asked the Foreign Office to intervene.
bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-08-29

Imagine if he had Christ on a cross to promote his bar? Wonder how the Kiwis would react. I have some kiwi friends so I think I know how they would react. Wouldn't go to jail but wouldn't have any business either.

Just another farang who doesn't give a toss about the customs, morals or laws of the country he decides to live in.

Are you a fountain of wisdom and know all the laws of every country you visit.People from the west are used to a bit more liberal attitudes.look what the foreginers get away with in your home country because they are protected by law,and they know it.Not same scenario.

Imagine if he had Christ on a cross to promote his bar? Wonder how the Kiwis would react. I have some kiwi friends so I think I know how they would react. Wouldn't go to jail but wouldn't have any business either.

what about watching some good old Monty Python to relax a little?

To be honest, I find it rather refreshing that he's finding prison "incredibly tough". Far better that than the holiday camps that pass for prisons in Europe. If all prisons were as tough there'd be a lot less crime. I think it's a safe bet that this perpetrator won't be insulting Buddhism in Burma again any time soon.

There are Buddha Bars all over the world, including in Bangkok - the punishment is overly harsh, particularly given that the man in question retracted the advert and issued multiple grovelling apologies.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Just another farang who doesn't give a toss about the customs, morals or laws of the country he decides to live in.

Are you a fountain of wisdom and know all the laws of every country you visit.People from the west are used to a bit more liberal attitudes.look what the foreginers get away with in your home country because they are protected by law,and they know it.Not same scenario.

I don't claim to be a fountain of wisdom, I hope my children learn something from the many mistakes I have made. But after dropping a big <deleted> when I was 18, and holidaying in Tangiers during Ramadan (hence cheap), I made sure I knew enough about a country before travelling to avoid causing needless offence, unless under the influence of too much of the local brew. Even managed thousands of kilometers biking in France and Germany driving on the wrong side of the road, because that's what the locals do. The subject of the post is not just visiting Myanmar, he lives there, so should know more than the average tourist who just picks a spot on the map for his annual leave. Here, I don't disrespect the Royal Family, don't pat monks on the head and I smile when the traffic police sting me for what is small change to farang, and curse later.