Multi entry tourist visa to Non Imm O based on marriage extension

Hi folks,

Looking for some sage advice from experienced board members! Please forgive any noob shortfallings!

I'm presently holding a multi entry tourist visa from UK, arriving next month. I got this to give me a buffer in case of any unforeseen complications at the start of my visa quest.

Looking to end up eventually with Non Imm O, based on marriage, with 12 month extension.

Will be depositing my funds in my KBank account on arrival, to bed in for 2 months.

I'm looking for a definitive timeline from start to finish of paperwork requirements and a roadmap to gettiing to where I want to be as quickly as possible. ie. what's the procedure for converting tourist visa to non O or is it better to do a visa run?

I have one sticking point that may require a bit more of an experienced eye. We will be living with my Thai brother in law and sister in law, in their house.

I believe there is some additional documentation/forms that I will need to clarify to the authorities re. our living arrangements?

We will be up in Korat, which has an immigration office...... or would it be advisable/possible to do any needfuls down in Bangkok or even farang friendly Pattaya?

On obtaining the non imm O, based on marriage, 12 month extension..... is it still necessary to report to immigration every 90 days? Will a fresh affirmation of marriage form be required for the same, every time?

As long as the relevant proofs and paperwork is to hand, is it necessary to use the immigration office in Korat or can this be done at any office?

Any advice gratefully received folks. Look forward to your replies, thanks.

Kind regards, tamoo

You will not be able to obtain an "O" visa based on marriage until you are actually married and have the marriage certificate provided by whichever Amphur you get married in.

Once you have the marriage certificate it would perhaps be better to obtain the "O" visa from somewhere like Savannakhet , Vientiane or Penang. .In addition to the marriage cert. you will need signed copies of your wife's house book and ID.

It is theoretically possible to convert a tourist visa entry to an "O" visa entry but only in Bangkok and it will involve two trips to immigration to achieve.

If you are living in Korat you must use the local immigration office.

All foreigners staying longer than 90 days in Thailand are required to make a report to

immigration every 90 days,

It will be your future brother/sister in laws responsibility to report your presence in their house to immigration using a TM30 form.

A copy of the " affirmation of freedom to marry" may be asked for when applying for the first extension of stay.

A search of the Thai Visa site will reveal much more information about getting married to a Thai in Thailand.

"what's the procedure for converting tourist visa to non O or is it better to do a visa run?"

You can convert, in Bangkok only, but I would recommend that you get a Non 'O' from Laos.

"I believe there is some additional documentation/forms that I will need to clarify to the authorities re. our living arrangements?"

When you move in to your relatives home they need to complete a TM30 to notify immigration that you're staying with them. It should be handed in to Korat Immigration office. It's a good idea for the person completing the form to include a copy of their ID and house book.

"We will be up in Korat, which has an immigration office...... or would it be advisable/possible to do any needfuls down in Bangkok or even farang friendly Pattaya?"

You can only deal with Korat whilst registered as living in that area.

"On obtaining the non imm O, based on marriage, 12 month extension..... is it still necessary to report to immigration every 90 days?"

Yes.

"Will a fresh affirmation of marriage form be required for the same, every time?"

No.

"As long as the relevant proofs and paperwork is to hand, is it necessary to use the immigration office in Korat or can this be done at any office?"

​Korat only. Except for a conversion in which case you'd need to go to Bangkok.

Thanks for the info folks. I should have mentoned that I have been married to my Thai wife for 12 years, hence my reference to 'in-laws'.

Good to get confirmation on a few points. I have been gathering information ahead of my move from Thai Visa and it really has proved to be extremely helpful.

Experience counts for a lot,, and there's certainly plenty of that on here.

Any additional info/advice/past experiences gratefully received.

Kind regards, tamoo

• Like 1

Can get visa change in Pattaya you hand in paper work and they send it to Bangkok I think and I may be wrong I read somewhere Kor at does the same. Sure someone will know. I did mine based on retirement for this year within the first 60 day entry visa got a triple in Hull just in case. Will be moving over to based on marriage next year. Just easier for me will be moving up to khon kaen before then so I will have all my soldiers in a line by next Nov. For it to go smoothly at Khon Kaen immigration with any luck.

• Like 1

I have had a non imm O in the past, but embassy moved the goalposts last year and you now need 400k funds in place, whereas before, being married was enough.

I cant put the funds in my KBank account yet, but when I do in Thailand, I'll either do a visa run or convert from multi entry tourist visa to non Imm O, based on marriage.

No biggy.

tamoo

I have had a non imm O in the past, but embassy moved the goalposts last year and you now need 400k funds in place, whereas before, being married was enough.

I cant put the funds in my KBank account yet, but when I do in Thailand, I'll either do a visa run or convert from multi entry tourist visa to non Imm O, based on marriage.

No biggy.

tamoo

Which Embassy is demanding 400K in place before they will issue a non "O" visa based on marriage ?

Sorry guys, I got it wrong with the 400k in place when applying from Thai Embassy in UK. However, there has been a rule change per below, where 3 months bank statements are required showing minimum income of 65k per month.

Category “O”
--------------------------
1) Married to a Thai national.
Evidence required:
a) Copy of Original Thai Marriage Certificate (front and back).
B) Copy of spouse’s Thai ID Card and Thai Passport showing married name.
c) Copy of latest 3 months Bank Statements (Thai or UK bank) showing regular income of minimum 65,000 baht (or equivalent in another currency) per month. Bank Statements must include name and address of visa applicant and address on Bank Statements must be same as on Visa Application Form. Please bear in mind that it may be necessary for us to check this information with the employer.
Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.

I do have funds, but not a regular monthly income at the moment. Therefore I'm going with travelling out on my tourist visa and putting 400K in my Thai bank account for two months....then converting or obtaining my non imm O based on marriage from a Laos border run. I can then apply for the 12 month extension at my leisure, gathering all my paperwork in the meantime.

Sounds like a plan

tamoo

Sorry guys, I got it wrong with the 400k in place when applying from Thai Embassy in UK. However, there has been a rule change per below, where 3 months bank statements are required showing minimum income of 65k per month.

Category “O”

Evidence required:

cool.png Copy of spouse’s Thai ID Card and Thai Passport showing married name.

c) Copy of latest 3 months Bank Statements (Thai or UK bank) showing regular income of minimum 65,000 baht (or equivalent in another currency) per month. Bank Statements must include name and address of visa applicant and address on Bank Statements must be same as on Visa Application Form. Please bear in mind that it may be necessary for us to check this information with the employer.

I do have funds, but not a regular monthly income at the moment. Therefore I'm going with travelling out on my tourist visa and putting 400K in my Thai bank account for two months....then converting or obtaining my non imm O based on marriage from a Laos border run. I can then apply for the 12 month extension at my leisure, gathering all my paperwork in the meantime.

Sounds like a plan

tamoo

Interesting!

Where was that information obtained? A link would be helpful ......................

1. Not all Thais have a passport.

2. Thai women are not required to change their name when they marry.

Category “O”

Evidence required:

cool.png Copy of spouse’s Thai ID Card and Thai Passport showing married name.

Sounds like a plan

tamoo

You might want to drop London an email to check that info is correct and up to date.