Question about transporting booze on a plane

Old Fool

I was thinking of bringing 0.75L of bourbon from the US because I don't really like much other types of hard liquor and I am a beer snob <DELETED>. I assume that I can just stuff the bottle in my check in bag and open it in Bangkok. Wrong? Also could I then take that bottle on a flight from Bangkok to Phuket after the bottle is 3/4 full?

Can't do it. You wouldn't be able to take the bottle through the security check point. What you can do is buy a bottle inside the airport from a duty free shop after going through security.

If it was a non-stop flight then no problem but if you have any stops to change planes you would probably have to go through another security point and would not be able to take the bottle.

I flew from the US to Bangkok in June this year and also wanted to bring a bottle of whiskey. I flew from Indianapolis to Minneapolis, Tokyo then on to Bangkok. I went in the duty free shop in Minneapolis and they told me it would be confiscated in Tokyo and so it would not make it to Bangkok. I assume they knew what they were talking about so I ended up buying a bottle in the duty free store in Tokyo and yes they did have some American whiskey at a reasonable price. By doing this I had no problems carrying the duty free purchased in Tokyo into Thailand. I did not know that I could check a bottle in my checked baggage all the way as someone else mentioned in a previous reply, maybe next time I will try that.

Edited by BobTH

1) Buy the bourbon stateside and put it in checked luggage (note there is a slim chance it could get broken)

2) Buy the bourbon at the duty free shop in the airport of your last connection and take with you in your carryon luggage (if you buy it in the States, it could get confiscated when you go through security at a connection - remember ICN and NRT/HND stealing booze, bastards).

3) If you take the booze out of the secure section of the BKK, you will not be allowed to carry it onto the HKT flight as it would be confiscated when you attempt to go through security again (more than 3.4oz) so you would have to check it - put it in a big ziplock and hope it makes it.

( If you're planning on drinking it in the airport, as long as you don't leave security, there should be no issues - but don't open the duty-free bag until after you go through BKK connecting security. ;) )

Edited by DirtyDan