Phuket Opinion: Blast waves reach Phuket

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Blast waves reach Phuket
The Phuket News

1440824175_1-org.jpg

People hold a candlelight vigil to pay their respects to the people who died at Erawan shrine, the popular tourist site where 20 people were killed on August 17, marking one week since the attack in central Bangkok on Monday (August 24). Photo: AFP

PHUKET: Editors at The Phuket News deliberated long and hard over a headline following the Erawan bomb blast in Bangkok on August 17, regarding how Phuket would be affected by the blast in terms of tourism.

In the end, The Phuket News chose to highlight how the island’s tourism industry had yet to feel the brunt of the fallout in tourist booking cancellations in the aftermath of the blast . Some people commented on our Facebook page that we had done so, in their opinion, in “bad taste”.

Had we gone another way with a headline pointing out that tourism experts had indicated that Phuket could benefit from tourists redirecting their tours directly to Phuket instead of the capital, it’s highly possible that far more people would have scorned The Phuket News as in even more “bad taste”.

However, an article recently published by the Bangkok Post completely supports what that other headline could have been: that the bomb blast has in fact had no impact on Phuket’s tourism industry, and that the island is actually starting to benefit from it. In fact, the top story on Google News for Thailand yesterday (August 29) was CNBC’s report “Thailand bombing won’t crush tourism”.

Yes, the blast at the popular tourist attraction that killed 20 people and injured over 100, and for which nobody has been found accountable or claimed responsibility, was a disgusting act.

(UPDATE: One suspect arrested on August 29.)

Nobody yet knows why the person(s) chose this site as their target. In fact, nobody knows why Bangkok was the chosen target, and it’s possible that this will not come to light for some time.

One theory for the bombings was that it was carried out to damage the Kingdom’s tourism industry, and yes, it is now starting to have an effect with the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) reporting that 5 per cent of foreign bookings for travel to Thailand have been cancelled since the explosion.

However, Phuket’s tourism remains unaffected, with the president of the Thai Hotels Association (Southern Chapter) stating citing Phuket’s occupancy rate in August at 85-90pc – amazing seeing that it is low season and many people say that the island is even more deserted than usual for this time of year.

The Phuket News’ latest poll is asking whether you still feel safe in Phuket as a result of the August 17 blast. To have your say, click here. The Phuket News looks forward to seeing the results of this poll.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-blast-waves-reach-phuket-53868.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-30

What the people see, the Island is more deserted than usual for the time of year, speaks volumes compared to what the Thai hotels association says. I would feel safe if I was in Phuket, same as I feel here in patts, where it is also very quite, more than usual for the time of year.

KB, these figures from the Thai hotel association are nothing official as you call it, but the average of all the hotels participating, which are quite I few I may say. Running a 200 rooms hotel myself, I can confirm this, we and most of our competitors had an amazing month with occupancies above 90%. Even STR reports, a globally recognized source indicates similar numbers.

The reason why many might see Phuket so quiet is, because the demographics of the visitors has changed. So residents spending their time in the pubs, bars and on the beach might see it as deserted. Those who visit the typical sightseeing spots, popular day trip islands or the shopping malls might see the opposite.

Cheers

KB, these figures from the Thai hotel association are nothing official as you call it, but the average of all the hotels participating, which are quite I few I may say. Running a 200 rooms hotel myself, I can confirm this, we and most of our competitors had an amazing month with occupancies above 90%. Even STR reports, a globally recognized source indicates similar numbers.

The reason why many might see Phuket so quiet is, because the demographics of the visitors has changed. So residents spending their time in the pubs, bars and on the beach might see it as deserted. Those who visit the typical sightseeing spots, popular day trip islands or the shopping malls might see the opposite.

Cheers

Maybe we should wait a bit before jumping to conclusions,I too have a business in Phuket and August was a good month for us too,HOWEVER now suddenly it has become very quiet,the big question now is how future bookings will be affected,so all this talk about that things might even be better than normal is a bit premature and just wishful thinking.I really don't think that a bomb that caused a lot of deaths and injuries is going to be a positive thing for Phuket or anywhere else in Thailand.

Cheers

I can take a guess that your hotel is full of Chinese, the tour companies getting rooms 50% discount or less right, of course you never see them, apart from the tour busses ferrying them around from Chinese venue to venue, they (tourists) don,t spend a baht in bars resturants, 7-11. Its just the same In Pattaya, but a big problem with tour busses clogging the streets up.

Cheers

So, you are selling your hotel rooms to the Chinese, no doubt at a reduced rate, for your 90% occupancy. Tell me, how's the hotel's food and beverage sales going, and any other service your hotel may offer????

Better to have a 50% occupancy rate, but have western tourists who eat, drink, and be merry in your hotel, than a 90% occupancy rate of Chinese, who do not spend a baht in your hotel.

"The numbers" may still be arriving on Phuket, but the MONEY is not. This is why, I predict, a contraction in the Phuket economy, in the near future, if not already.

Ask yourself this question, if the Phuket tourism industry was listed on a stock exchange, would you buy shares in it????

Cheers

So, you are selling your hotel rooms to the Chinese, no doubt at a reduced rate, for your 90% occupancy. Tell me, how's the hotel's food and beverage sales going, and any other service your hotel may offer????

Better to have a 50% occupancy rate, but have western tourists who eat, drink, and be merry in your hotel, than a 90% occupancy rate of Chinese, who do not spend a baht in your hotel.

"The numbers" may still be arriving on Phuket, but the MONEY is not. This is why, I predict, a contraction in the Phuket economy, in the near future, if not already.

Ask yourself this question, if the Phuket tourism industry was listed on a stock exchange, would you buy shares in it????

Sorry to disappoint you. Half Australian, half asian, not only chinese, but also Malaysians, Singaporeans, etc. F&B revenue up from last year, spa up from last year, room rates up from last year. If you belief it or not, Asians eat as well and they love the spa.

If I would invest in Phuket? most definitely, unlike in your business if you state that you would rather run 50% than 90% occupancy...

Cheers

Sorry to disappoint you. Half Australian, half asian, not only chinese, but also Malaysians, Singaporeans, etc. F&B revenue up from last year, spa up from last year, room rates up from last year. If you belief it or not, Asians eat as well and they love the spa.

If I would invest in Phuket? most definitely, unlike in your business if you state that you would rather run 50% than 90% occupancy...

Can I interest you in some property, or a bar? Phuket is "booming." Now's the time to buy. You can't lose. cheesy.gif

Edited by NamKangMan

Cheers

Can I interest you in some property, or a bar? Phuket is "booming." Now's the time to buy. You can't lose. cheesy.gif

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin.