Bringing partner back to Australia for some years

Hello All...

Hope people can give me some advice/tips on the best way to bring my lady back home with me:

I'm American also with New Zealand citizenship and lived in Melbourne for ten years before moving here (six years now in Thailand). With my NZ citizenship, I am considered a permanent resident of Australia and can come and go and work as I please.

I've been offered a job with a Melbourne-based company and actually would like to move back to top up my retirement fund a bit more for five or ten years.

My lady and I have been together for over four years, in a great relationship, and I'd of course like her to come back and stay with me.

She has a college degree, works in the finance department of a medium sized company here in Bangkok, and has a bit of money in the bank.

Can anyone share info, recommendations, do's/don'ts on how I should proceed to get her a decent length of time visa and possibly even a working permit for Oz?

If you be en living with her you could bring here on a partner visa, government recognises de facto relationships obviously your going to need to prove it only catch current government jacked up the costs by quite a lot, think you would be looking at around $AU8000, then she gets permanent after 2 years, she can work from day one.

Long stay that's the cheapest option other wise education visa she can work but that's going to cost you around 10 plus grand a year, hope she thinks she's got a great relationship with you because once she's got permanent residence who knows what could come into her mind.

Edited by AlexRRR

Hello All...

Hope people can give me some advice/tips on the best way to bring my lady back home with me:

I'm American also with New Zealand citizenship and lived in Melbourne for ten years before moving here (six years now in Thailand). With my NZ citizenship, I am considered a permanent resident of Australia and can come and go and work as I please.

I've been offered a job with a Melbourne-based company and actually would like to move back to top up my retirement fund a bit more for five or ten years.

My lady and I have been together for over four years, in a great relationship, and I'd of course like her to come back and stay with me.

She has a college degree, works in the finance department of a medium sized company here in Bangkok, and has a bit of money in the bank.

Can anyone share info, recommendations, do's/don'ts on how I should proceed to get her a decent length of time visa and possibly even a working permit for Oz?

Have you asked your gf?

Why are you asking strangers for advice?

We don't know your status, you gotta do what you & your gf want

Stay or go - up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you be en living with her you could bring here on a partner visa, government recognises de facto relationships obviously your going to need to prove it only catch current government jacked up the costs by quite a lot, think you would be looking at around $AU8000, then she gets permanent after 2 years, she can work from day one.

Long stay that's the cheapest option other wise education visa she can work but that's going to cost you around 10 plus grand a year, hope she thinks she's got a great relationship with you because once she's got permanent residence who knows what could come into her mind.

Thanks for your reply mate... about her permanent residence, she actually prefers to stay here closer to family and loves her country, but wants to stay with me and also understands that me working in the west will be better for after I retire in about 10 or 13 years...

I'd really prefer to stay here also, but want a more comfortable retirement that I am forecasting if I stay

Have you asked your gf?

Stay or go - up to you.

Maybe you've misunderstood my post, or possibly I wasn't clear...

We have made up our minds to move to Oz for some years.

I am asking for advice on the best way to obtain a long term visa for her

Have you asked your gf?

Stay or go - up to you.

Ah, it wasn't clear. She sounds like she's working etc. what visa are you thinking of? Tourist will be short term.

Best us fiancé but you'll only get one & then either marry or she returns to Thai.

Can't see her obtaining multiple tourist visas as they'll suss you out.

What other have you thought about?

OP: Info on long stay visa for de-facto relationship is provided at the URL below. Visa would enable your partner to work and have access to Medicare. If at the time of applying you and partner have been in a full time relationship for three years or more the two year waiting period to transition to permanent residency can be waived.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/309-

Guidance on the application process is downloadable from:

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1127.pdf

Current advice from Immi for processing time between 5 - 12 months. Right now visa fee is AUD 6865.00

OP: Info on long stay visa for de-facto relationship is provided at the URL below. Visa would enable your partner to work and have access to Medicare. If at the time of applying you and partner have been in a full time relationship for three years or more the two year waiting period to transition to permanent residency can be waived.

Current advice from Immi for processing time between 5 - 12 months. Right now visa fee is AUD 6865.00

My God... The fee just last year was under 3k as far as I remember... Almost 7k is crazy to me!

Moving back to Oz is going to cost a lot of money, need to buy a car, apartment, furniture and now a $6900 visa arrgghh!

My God... The fee just last year was under 3k as far as I remember... Almost 7k is crazy to me!

Moving back to Oz is going to cost a lot of money, need to buy a car, apartment, furniture and now a $6900 visa arrgghh!

Yes that is how much it will cost you and best of luck buying apartment that can cost a lot depends were you want to live

Have you asked your gf?

Stay or go - up to you.

Ah, it wasn't clear. She sounds like she's working etc. what visa are you thinking of? Tourist will be short term.

Best us fiancé but you'll only get one & then either marry or she returns to Thai.

Can't see her obtaining multiple tourist visas as they'll suss you out.

What other have you thought about?

First of all in respect to the OP good luck with your plans.

I was going to ignore this above poster as you should. Listen to other posters not this one. AU are reluctant to issue many tourist (visitor) visas. Some get knocked back after 3. I know your not looking for permanent but its not clear how long you wish to work. Best of luck buddy ....hope you can work around it and achieve both results

$7k is just ridiculous. Australia is becoming an unfriendly expensive scam.

Go to America instead. US PR cost me about $700 4 years ago, taxes are lower, and people more friendly.

Edited by Time Traveller