Highways dept confirms February 2016 completion date for Phuket's Samkong underpass

webfact

Highways dept confirms February 2016 completion date for Phuket's Samkong underpass
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1441015016_1-org.jpg
Protesters gather at the Samkong intersection yesterday (August 30).

PHUKET: -- Following yesterdayʼs (August 30) small protest at the Samkong underpass construction site, Samak Lueduanghad, Director of the Highways Department Phuket office has once again reiterated that the date for completion has moved from October 9, 2015 to February 10, 2016.

About 20 Phuket residents gathered at the construction site yesterday to stage a peaceful protest and petition for signatures on a formal complaint addressed to the governor and Highways Department about the delayed roadworks project.

During the course of the protest, which only lasted two hours, about 50 signatures were collected from pedestrians and commuters passing by Tesco Lotus Extra branch. (See story here)

Speaking today (August 31), Mr Samak said, “I understand that there was a protest at the Samkong intersection yesterday because of the delays in completion of the project.

“Today, when the protesters were passing their complaint to Governor Nisit Jansomwong, I explained the situaton to some of them.

“I explained that holes in the road were caused by heavy rain and traffic. I also reiterated to them that the intersection will not open until the underpass is finished. This is expected to be around February 2016.”

Project Manager, Chalermpon Wongkietkun added, “Our date for completion is now scheduled for February 10, 2016 and a request for the delay has been sent to Highwayʼs Department in Bangkok.

“I heard about the protest yesterday so i also when to the construction site. I have not heard anything more from the protesters.

“I am confident that approval for the delay until February 2016 will be approved by October 9. I can assure you that the work will be complete in February 2016 as I donʼt want myself and and my company to be blacklisted for bidding on future projects,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/highways-dept-confirms-february-2016-completion-date-for-phuket%CA%BCs-samkong-underpass-53889.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-31

Khun Samak any chance of you or your contractor showing how this project is going to be completed within the next five months? I presume the contractor will have submitted a schedule indicating its plans for completion. Maybe one The Phuket News journalists could follow this up in the spirit of good reporting

• 2 months later...