Is it ok for your girlfriend to call you farang to her friends?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why not, if you are not Thai then you are a "farang" = foreigner, but as mentioned above it depends on tone and context. I could call you a name but uness you heard the tone and know the context you wouldnt know if it was in fun, an endearment or an insult.

NO! "farang" does not = foreigner, it means Caucasian.

The Japanese are not farang, the Lao are not farang, and the oriental "asians" like Connie Chung that are 100% American are not farang either.

Farang = Caucasian and yes it's racist but racism is accepted here in Thailand by the Thais, just don't do it to them.

Do Farang English teachers get paid more money than Thai English teachers? Yes.

My wife is both Thai, well educated and loves Thai history.

Her explanation of the Farang word (pronounced Fulung) first was used in reference to the French simply because Thais could not pronounce Foreigner. She says it is similar to the way in which Foreigners have never been able to pronounce Bangkok correctly.

She says of course in can be used out of context not unlike most words.

Fortunately Foreigners who choose to take offence to it have the option of returning to their homeland to find inner peace and harmony.

Are you suggesting Asians should leave Western nations simply because they dislike being called racial names?

Or are you just a coward with double standards?

Edited by Time Traveller

I pity all the thinned skin over sensitive foreigners living in Thailand and take exception to being called Farang, it is a every day Thai word that all Thai people use, I have never known a Thai that does not use the word Farang, Thai people living in Australia call Australians Farang, I know because I owned two Thai restaurants at different times in Australia with all Thai staff, my mate in Australia gets call a bloody old baldy Farang by his Thai wife, I introduced them to each other, I wont tell you want he calls her can not be printed here, but they are very happy together, I would advise all the thin skinned Farangs that are not Aussie living here to never go to northern Queensland, they would really get upset twisted bent out of shape there if they don't like what they get called.

You might find many more posters who pity you and your friends for being treated like mugs by Thai's who refer to them in such a manner on a daily basis...

Respect is mutual, but clearly those Thai's with whom you associate don't think so.

It is lack of respect when your wife calls you "the farang". You have a name. My wife her friends and family all call me by my name. If my wife say that to me I would for sure make a problem about it.

Somebody said: "congratulations you are 1 step further than ATM." He maybe tried to make a joke, but I think this is really true!

I pity all the thinned skin over sensitive foreigners living in Thailand and take exception to being called Farang, it is a every day Thai word that all Thai people use, I have never known a Thai that does not use the word Farang, Thai people living in Australia call Australians Farang, I know because I owned two Thai restaurants at different times in Australia with all Thai staff, my mate in Australia gets call a bloody old baldy Farang by his Thai wife, I introduced them to each other, I wont tell you want he calls her can not be printed here, but they are very happy together, I would advise all the thin skinned Farangs that are not Aussie living here to never go to northern Queensland, they would really get upset twisted bent out of shape there if they don't like what they get called.

You might find many more posters who pity you and your friends for being treated like mugs by Thai's who refer to them in such a manner on a daily basis...

Respect is mutual, but clearly those Thai's with whom you associate don't think so.

My husband's Farang family is much nicer than my Thai family.

It is lack of respect when your wife calls you "the farang". You have a name. My wife her friends and family all call me by my name. If my wife say that to me I would for sure make a problem about it.

Somebody said: "congratulations you are 1 step further than ATM." He maybe tried to make a joke, but I think this is really true!

I had a Thai husband first but my Farang husband is a much nicer man; more honest and smells better.

I had a Thai husband first but my Farang husband is a much nicer man; more honest and smells better.

I understand your point, but if I read some post over here some people think it is normal when there wife not call them by there name, but call them "the farang" when they talk to family or friends.

I understand your point, but if I read some post over here some people think it is normal when there wife not call them by there name, but call them "the farang" when they talk to family or friends.

My only point was that some less informed people here think Farang is always a negative word. It's not. It depends on the context. Most of the time it is used negatively but certainly not always.

Edited by lostoday

My only point was that some less informed people here think Farang is always a negative word. It's not. It depends on the context. Most of the time it is used negatively but certainly not always.

That I understood. It is not always a negative word! What I am trying to say is that there are a lot of people thinking that it is okay when there wife use the word in a different context. Not call you by your name, but call you "the farang"

Absolutely right ! If my wife was driving me to C/Rai airport and the local DEA plod stopped us I would expect my wife to say she was " Taking ferlung to the airport " There is no ambiguity . If she said taking my husband khun Phil or any other mash of words ....... " how long you been married to ferlung " etc. BTW I have never heard a Thai utter Farang . Read my lips f e r l u n g !

And now we enter another classic long-running Thaivisa conversation - which transliterated approximation of a Thai word do you prefer?

If it is a quiz can I go for "B-a-rang"

(note they never say B-a-lang in Khmer)

So you're a Thai woman? Hmmmmm.

So you're a Thai woman? Hmmmmm.

You don't seem much like a woman in this thread that you started....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/851281-do-you-bribe-your-wife/#entry9779100

I am the same as you I not like it at all tell her you not like it and if she not stop it piss her off and get a new one not as if she is the only lady in thailand not sure how long you have been coming here but Thais are like a mangos on a mango three if you not want that one you have go to a Mago three and get a new cheers

You talk about how Thai women are interchangeable and replaceable, and yet get upset when they generalise you by race?

I agree with SoiBiker. If that is how you feel about/treat Thai women, it wouldn't be surprising if they referred to you in some derogatory manner. You should treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. With this misogynistic attitude displayed by so many posters, it is no wonder why we are all painted with the same brush by some.

So your here because you love thailand or you love thai puss I think it is because of the puss one thing you all have to lean thai women are with you for a good life and your money when you all understand that you will like it here more and I not get upset if I am called a farang not care but if my thai gf called me a farang I not like It I refer to her as her name if I am talking about her that is respect.

My girlfriend and I had a little agruement and her friend phoned her and she mentioned me as farang not her boyfriend? Do u think I'm over reacting by going over the top about this?

I am the same as you I not like it at all tell her you not like it and if she not stop it piss her off and get a new one not as if she is the only lady in thailand not sure how long you have been coming here but Thais are like a mangos on a mango three if you not want that one you have go to a Mago three and get a new cheers

You talk about how Thai women are interchangeable and replaceable, and yet get upset when they generalise you by race?

Not at all if a thai calls me a farang not care but if my thai gf calls me that I not like it and tell her but my thai gf respect me and calls me by my name and yes thai woman are interchangeable and replaceable yes like we are to them .

I agree with SoiBiker. If that is how you feel about/treat Thai women, it wouldn't be surprising if they referred to you in some derogatory manner. You should treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. With this misogynistic attitude displayed by so many posters, it is no wonder why we are all painted with the same brush by some.

So your here because you love thailand or you love thai puss I think it is because of the puss one thing you all have to lean thai women are with you for a good life and your money when you all understand that you will like it here more and I not get upset if I am called a farang not care but if my thai gf called me a farang I not like It I refer to her as her name if I am talking about her that is respect.

Fail. You have referred to Thai women as "Thai Puss." That is not respectful. I'm assuming English is not your first language so maybe use a dictionary.wai2.gif

Did I come here because I loved the country? No. I knew nothing at all about it when I arrived 33 years ago just shy of my 20th birthday. I did not know its reputation. I had nothing to my name but still got married to a Thai woman and was married for 26 years. I am now single. Not through divorce but widowhood. My wife never referred to me as a farang and always used my name but when talking about westerners in general referred to them as farang. Nothing evil or racist was meant by that.

How well do you speak the language? If you are not conversant, it would be very easy to misconstrue/misinterpret what is being said, or get hold of the wrong end of the stick.