New ACER PC Powerless Button

dageurreotype

I stupidly replaced my old Acer with a new one just a couple of months back. The power button is now playing up every morning. It won't fire up until it's been pressed for at least a zillion times over the course of around thirty minutes, during which time my morning's meditation is proving more and more an exercise in futility biggrin.png I remember having this problem years back with my old one and a search had thrown up someone having contacted Acer who said 'This just seems to happen now and again, we don't know why, but it will pass' blink.png Given that Acer had already acknowledged this problem, you would have thought they'd have sorted it out by now, silly me.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in this, given the phrase 'notorious problematic power button with Acer' frequently popping up. Anyone else? And how did you deal with it other than waiting out (from memory) the one to two months before it decided to stop acting up? Thanks.

Edited by dageurreotype

Does the issue occur when plugged into AC as well as when unplugged and on Battery Only?

The ON button is just a temporary contactor.

Under certain circumstances the detection circuit might not function.

Though it's also possible the 'switch' is defective (physical or magnetic contact surface is bad).

Does the issue occur when plugged into AC as well as when unplugged and on Battery Only?

The ON button is just a temporary contactor.

Under certain circumstances the detection circuit might not function.

Though it's also possible the 'switch' is defective (physical or magnetic contact surface is bad).

I assume it's only some dust.

Well, thanks for the replies. Tried holding the button longer but no difference. Not prepared to take a drill to the damn thing and call out almost as expensive as computer so will just have to suck it up. Another odd thing is that the later in the day I try to fire it up, the shorter the waiting time. It had already occurred to me moisture might be the problem so wrapped it in plastic one night, no difference. Short of never turning the bloody thing off, will just have to wait out it's sulk. Thanks.

Well, thanks for the replies. Tried holding the button longer but no difference. Not prepared to take a drill to the damn thing and call out almost as expensive as computer so will just have to suck it up. Another odd thing is that the later in the day I try to fire it up, the shorter the waiting time. It had already occurred to me moisture might be the problem so wrapped it in plastic one night, no difference. Short of never turning the bloody thing off, will just have to wait out it's sulk. Thanks.

Please try to find an Advice computer repair shop. Let them have a look at it and it might turn out that it's only dust.

This information is from a friend who's got many computer shops in Isaan. Could be dust, a tiny ant, not the broken switch.

Just go to such a shop, wait until a guy has a look at it and tells you what it is. Best of luck.

Please try to find an Advice computer repair shop. Let them have a look at it and it might turn out that it's only dust.

This information is from a friend who's got many computer shops in Isaan. Could be dust, a tiny ant, not the broken switch.

Just go to such a shop, wait until a guy has a look at it and tells you what it is. Best of luck.

Be careful though. My friend just took his HP into an HP authorized repair shop. They advised him to take it to a small repair shop as HP wanted 700 Baht (I think it was 700) just to open it. He took it to another shop and they said it needed a new mother board .. 3500 Baht.

He bought a new laptop and the shop offered to transfer data from the old laptop to the new. They opened up the old one and there were a few ants inside. A quick burst of air to blow them away and all was well. The only problem was that he had paid 25K for a new laptop.

<snip>

They opened up the old one and there were a few ants inside. A quick burst of air to blow them away and all was well. The only problem was that he had paid 25K for a new laptop.

I had ants in my old Dell laptop - couldn't stop them falling out every time I moved it. I wish I'd found this site back then:

http://fertileforest.hubpages.com/hub/Getting-rid-of-laptop-ants

4234125_f496.jpg

Be careful though. My friend just took his HP into an HP authorized repair shop. They advised him to take it to a small repair shop as HP wanted 700 Baht (I think it was 700) just to open it. He took it to another shop and they said it needed a new mother board .. 3500 Baht.

He bought a new laptop and the shop offered to transfer data from the old laptop to the new. They opened up the old one and there were a few ants inside. A quick burst of air to blow them away and all was well. The only problem was that he had paid 25K for a new laptop.

A real good clean up at Advice is between 300 and 450 baht. It's normal when "technicians" don't find the problem that they always say it's the motherboard. Some of them are making pretty good money, clean a little bit, machine works, customer pays a few thousand baht and all are happy?

Excluding the customer. Watch out. They're out there to get you.

<snip>

They opened up the old one and there were a few ants inside. A quick burst of air to blow them away and all was well. The only problem was that he had paid 25K for a new laptop.

I had ants in my old Dell laptop - couldn't stop them falling out every time I moved it. I wish I'd found this site back then:

http://fertileforest.hubpages.com/hub/Getting-rid-of-laptop-ants

4234125_f496.jpg

Having read through the Hub Page comments, many of which say they're in tropical countries, I believe this is by far the most plausible solution. This would also explain why it 'happens for a few weeks and then sorts itself out'. Colony relocated/died out? Took me best part of 40 minutes to start up today, so ants must be making some headway. Will give it a go tonight and let you know how I got on. Thailand ant heaven ..