Long overstay.......urgent

A friend of mine was down on his luck and couldn't possibly keep up his visa. He is overstayed a couple of years. He now has had some good luck for a change and has the money for an 800,000 bank deposit as well as being able to pay the 20,000 baht fine. He wants to get legal and stay in Thailand. Will he be able to pay the 20,000 fine, leave Thailand and come back to apply for a retirement visa. He does not want to take a chance on being black listed.

He can leave at any border and pay the 20k overstay fine. He will not be blacklisted under current rules. He can come back anytime.

If he gets arrested before reaching a border he will be deported to his home country but still not blacklisted. Although he should understand that having been deported is a reason IO's can use to deny future entry. Still not likely to happen.

If he wants a retirement visa and extension he needs to get a non 'O' visa based on retirement from an embassy/consulate outside Thailand. After entering Thailand with that he will be given 90 days stay and he can apply for a 1 year extension of stay 30/45 days before the 90 days expires.

What is the fine on overstay if I may ask out of curiosity and how exactly does it work ?

It's 500 Baht for every day you overstay up to a maximum fine of 20,000 Baht.

They usually don't charge if 1 day over but if 2 days the fine will be 1,000 and 500 for every day thereafter.

Someone overstaying 40 days pays the same as someone overstaying 2 years or more. So not much incentive to get legal once you pass the 40 day mark.

Am I wrong here whilst doing one of those long visits to Imigration and doing several xword puzzles I look at the screen and I'm sure it says something like over stay over 90 days no re entry for 1 year over stay over 1 year no re entry for 3 years or is that for something else!!!!

Am I wrong here whilst doing one of those long visits to Imigration and doing several xword puzzles I look at the screen and I'm sure it says something like over stay over 90 days no re entry for 1 year over stay over 1 year no re entry for 3 years or is that for something else!!!!

It's something that immigration want to impose but as yet it hasn't been given the green light.

Very old news !

The proposed "Bans" for overstay were never approved or implimented

• Like 2

What is the fine on overstay if I may ask out of curiosity and how exactly does it work ?

500 baht per day upto a maximum fine of 20,000 baht (40 days).

Because there is a 40 day maximum many people think it makes financial sense to just stay at home (in Thailand) and never leave, so they never need to pay for a visa trip or a visa. Then if and when they do need to leave Thailand they simply pay the fine and leave.

I won't bother telling you what my opinion of those people is.

It's something that immigration want to impose but as yet it hasn't been given the green light.

Very old news !

Maybe so, but as of 3 weeks ago, the last two times I got 60 day marriage extensions, at Kap Choeng immigration, I had to sign a form acknowledging, I understood the penalties for overstating my visa.

Very old news !

Maybe so, but as of 3 weeks ago, the last two times I got 60 day marriage extensions, at Kap Choeng immigration, I had to sign a form acknowledging, I understood the penalties for overstating my visa.

He should be shot in the face.

These long term overstayers wreck the system and make it very difficult for us to get our ed visas.

What a horrible man.... horrible comment... and you want your ed visa for what? Because its a loophole for you???

I overstayed 12 months because of circumstances out of my control...

When I was able to, I fixed everything up all legal and now run my own business, while taking care of my wife and 2 daughters....

I agree there may at times be reasonable, though still not legal, reasons for overstaying, but the number of people who admit to overstaying on TV alone suggests too many people are overstaying in Thailand for rather flimsy reasons. The only justification for most foreigners being in Thailand at all is because they contribute to the economy, which many of them clearly are not doing.

Americans, Europeans and Australians tend to get their knickers in a knot about all the immigrants illegally (or often even those who are legal) in their countries. The Thai system seems to be remarkably forgiving, but as has been stated often before, the number of people who can't manage to comply with the rules usually make things more difficult for those who do play by the rules.

It seems all the more hypocritical given all the complaints posted about difficult or allegedly corrupt immigrations officers. Corruption and contempt for the law don't exist on one side only.

I agree and your post is very well written. But Krusty is still a nasty piece of work.

I don't attack the overstayers or chastise them, they know what they did already, justifiable or not.

• Like 1

as has been stated often before, the number of people who can't manage to comply with the rules usually make things more difficult for those who do play by the rules.

It has indeed been stated often, but there's still zero evidence things have become more difficult for those who abide by the rules.

Here's paz saying it has no effect, he's basically a mod around these parts.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/839006-overstay-more-than-a-year/page-2#entry9601013

• Like 1

I re-entered 4 days on visa exempt after 11 year overstay at Suvarnabhumi last August, I was however questioned intently by the senior lady immigration officer on duty and having satisfied her I was allowed in visa exempt along with a strong warning to not overstay even by a single day in the future. So I guess it depends on which I/O you deal with as much as the length of time away....

• Like 2

"There is no justifiable reason for overstay. It always comes down to money. And if they don't have any they shouldn't be here in the first place."

Until I met a few people that were on long overstays I didn't have much sympathy but getting that extension/visa or having to pay for medi care or putting food on your childs plate puts a new perspective on peoples situations. The OPs friend realizes hes done wrong and at the first possible opportunity wants to rectify it. Lets hope he gets a flight, pays and is back in no time with the correct visa without any hassles, good luck to him.

"The OPs friend realises he's done wrong and at the first possible opportunity wants to rectify it"

Yes I'm sure he does but notice rectifying the situation is conditional that he isn't blacklisted!

I know there are people that have built lives and families here that fall on hard times and I do sympathise. My complaint isn't really with them but with the many that intentionally flaunt the system or try to stay here without means or a way home. However, my biggest gripe is with immigration because they make those wanting to stay here legally jump through hoops and then for a measly 20k let overstayers leave and return without any real consequence. Doesn't seem right to me.

• Like 1