Hip problems

Over a short period, two to three months, my GS has really started to show signs of difficulty in getting up, back legs, looks stiff and painfull. Only 8 years old. Looks like bad displacia, I will get an x-ray done this week to find out.

Main reason for post is to ask if anyone has personal knowledge of anything like a pain killer for dogs with this problem exists.

I am having a hard time with this because I can see the pain in her eyes and really don't want her to suffer. I don't want to go further into that.

Any info on anything that might help please.

One good joint one bad joint can see on x-ray so now have to balance the pros and cons of having surgery to try and fix the bad one. Cost I dont mind . Tablets seem to be helping but for how long I'm not sure. Big girl is now 7 so maybe 4 or 5 years to go.

Really don't know which way to go.

Is she very fat? Sometimes its happened because the dog fat . losing weight and exercise help

If she not have this problem a long time and her legs still function fine the surgery will be effective :) good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Typingdog

A vet once told me that the muscles around the hip support the hip joint for about 60%. So, well developed muscles is a must. Swimming will be the best, cause the water supports the body so that there will be a lot less weight on the joints while exercising.

Then reviewing her diet. What do you give? What dog brand? Is there a lot of grain in her diet. Grains are inflammatory.

Personally, I would take all grains out of her diet and switch to a raw food diet.

And you can look into supplements. Many vets sell products that contain glucosamin and chondroitin.
Turmeric is a fantastic herb that works as a powerful anti-inflammatory and has been used for hip problems in dogs: https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1AISC_enTH529TH529&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=dogs%20turmeric%20hips

The Thai word for turmeric is Ka-min chan.

Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid in combination with Sodium ascorbate or Calcium ascorbate) can also have an smoothing effect on the cartilage in the joints.
I usually use Hi-Cee (for humans) available in every pharmacy.