Root! - Anyone been refused warranty help from Samsung because rooted?

speedtripler

Gf has a new note 5 and she loves it but thinking about root to remove unused apps, improve battery life and a few other things that won't work without root...

If it suffers a cracked screen or something like that, will Samsung repair still fix it for cash or not?

I understand that they won't fix Mbk grey imports for obvious reasons but this is a Thai phone on a true move contract so we're not sure

Once rooted, it voids all warranties. Ensure that if you root, you unroot prior to giving it to the service center.

I'm not certain you can root the Note 5 (or any of the newer SGS/N models), using any method, without tripping the Knox counter/flag. And once tripped, this cannot be undone, even when flashing back to stock.

A cracked screen would not be covered under the warranty, but I think Samsung Thailand would repair it, for parts/labor, regardless of the Knox counter status.

Maybe search here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/note5

Thanks for all the replies, as far as I know they can detect the flash counter even after you unroot and flash a stock software

Phones usually don't break for no reason unless dropped or get wet etc... Which wouldn't be covered by warranty anyway...

Its just if they want to be complete pricks, they could just refuse any repair because its been "modified" .... That's what I would worry about because I don't have access to the spare parts and they're probably expensive to order online and then shipping and taxes, and possibly waiting weeks without the phone until we can get it running again etc..

And by the way, on internet there are lots of complains about the bad customer service from Samsung....All our Samsung phones, even very old never failed so I have no own experience.

The difference between a Samsung shop and a Samsung service centre is huge - I wasted hours in the Central World service centre trying to get my Note 1 motherboard replaced and gave up in the end.

Warranties are a rip off. They will find all sorts of ways not to fix it at their expense. When I worked for Defence in Australia we had all bidders cost the warranty of 2 years for some mobile radars. The winning bidder and us got to the negotiation table we told them we didn't want the warranty as they would be contracted to do all the repairs anyway. The bean counter went ashly grey and their chief negotiator asked what we would do if the radars were faulty. We simply said get you for providing a latent defect. They wanted to completely reprice after that and we said no. Afterwards they said they had never foreseen the possibility and it certainly put the word out to industry that the gravy train had stopped.

To the OP, do a risk analysis as after all you own the product.

Too late to argue now - it's already rooted and they're is no way to reset Knox to zero.... Yet

Imo its worth it for the benefits of not having to see ads alone in browsers and apps

And it's blazing fast, it was never slow but debloated of all the shit and fully optomised is a big improvement in speed and battery life

Not sure how many it had before but now it's getting nearly 8hrs screen on time @ 50% brightness ,changed from 3g to 4g sim also so that would mean the battery life might be even better back on 3g as 4g is supposed to be more power hungry

If you crack your screen Samsung will not fix it for free. But I did get some partial damage coverage from DTAC and they fixed it using their own repair centre.

My S4 had a sudden death syndrome and Samsung replaced the MB free. I don't think they would have been able to tell if it was rooted or not.

post-133698-0-01102900-1441459067_thumb.

I myself have never heard anyone being denied warranty where the problem is clearly unconnected to rooting. Of course you might find yourself in a situation quarrelling with the service staff about exactly this.

Service by most vendors is nothing else than miserable. The parts prices are kept extremely high, except for minor issues usually a repair is uneconomical.

So you want to put spyware lol. Yeah i did that on one and thats the best thing i ever done....

You don't need spyware for a thai woman

If the lips are moving, it's safe to assume she's lying lol

There are hundreds of spying apps and as far as I know, they can work without root accwss

People use them on phones they give to their children too, the premium apps are have so many features but you can also just log in to gmail to get the locations the phone has been or is at :)

For the super paranoid I suppose you could install a key logger too lol

I myself have never heard anyone being denied warranty where the problem is clearly unconnected to rooting. Of course you might find yourself in a situation quarrelling with the service staff about exactly this.

Service by most vendors is nothing else than miserable. The parts prices are kept extremely high, except for minor issues usually a repair is uneconomical.

Tell me about it mate

I brought an immobile iq 9.2 into the service centre days ago

It cost 4990 new from big C

They said around 2 weeks to order a new screen and repair it, and I said fine (it's only aa spare phone the kids use for games usually)

Immobile don't use super amoled digitizers or Gorilla glass 4 etc, and its a cheap Chinese panel but they wanted me to pay 3000 to fix it,I said <deleted>

I could get a new one for 4,xxx today...

Is there nothing we can do? She offered me a discount of a couple of hundred thb on aa newer model that was around 7500

Felt like they were pushing me towards buying another new one from them and trying to make the repair as painfully annoying as possible

There's no way they're not price gouging if they want 3k for a screen on a 4xxx phone

Imobile, never again

Could do file level backup before rooting, do rooting, use the rooted phone enjoying plenty of battery life etc.

To return to unrooted - restore from the backup.

Backup programs like titanium need root access to backup system files. ADB can backup system files. Dont know if ADB restore can go back to "unrooted status". I would think you would need to backup/restore the MBR (master boot record) of some sort, which needs root access.

• 2 weeks later...
Could do file level backup before rooting, do rooting, use the rooted phone enjoying plenty of battery life etc.
To return to unrooted - restore from the backup.
Backup programs like titanium need root access to backup system files. ADB can backup system files. Dont know if ADB restore can go back to "unrooted status". I would think you would need to backup/restore the MBR (master boot record) of some sort, which needs root access.

a note 4 has an "e- fuse " that cannot be reset once tripped i belive

there is/was? a reward on xda for anyone who can crack it and even chainfire hasnt found any way to bypass it

in the good old days you could unroot and nobody would know but i think the top devices now have a flash counter built in

(you may still be able to unroot but the samsung centre will know when they plug it in etc)

• 2 weeks later...

you can unroot too, just flash stock firmvare

Technically you can unroot, but if you check the knox binary on your device it will be still tripped

The service centre will know by their diagnostic software if the flash counter is higher than 0

They don't care anyway, I got aa rooted phone fixed this week and they gave it back to me still rooted :)

Archived