Roundabout and traffic lights

Asheron

I have travelled "some" in my life but can't remember any country where they actually have traffic lights in a roundabout. Of course there might have been such a nation but i just didn't pay attention as i usually never drive in any country i visit...

In Ubon ratchathani just outside Rajabhat university is a large roundabout and a clock tower in the middle of it. And that roundabout has traffic lights. I'm pondering... doesn't traffic lights defeat the entire purpose of a roundabout?

Q6DL9or.jpg

Many many Traffic Roundabouts in the UK have Traffic lights.

Its really very common.

What's the point with a roundabout then? That is my question... surely the meaning of having a roundabout is so that the traffic can flow without traffic lights?

Its really very common.

What's the point with a roundabout then? That is my question... surely the meaning of having a roundabout is so that the traffic can flow without traffic lights?

Can you imagine Victory Monument roundabout in Bangkok without lights........it has about 8/10 junctions and would be absolute and total chaos biggrin.png

Edited by topt

Its really very common.

Can you imagine Victory Monument roundabout in Bangkok without lights........it has about 8/10 junctions and would be absolute and total chaos biggrin.png

Can't see what's so complicated about this: https://goo.gl/mFYW4o

That is if all (most) people behind the steering wheel actually were thought how to drive in a roundabout.

OP Quote "doesn't traffic lights defeat the entire purpose of a roundabout?"

NO!!!!!!

I have been round this roundabout many many times (bike & car) and never had a problem. The lights work, and drivers respect the red light, and stop for the most part. You still get the odd light jumper, but most drivers expect the unexpected there, and accidents are usually avoided.

However...I have only been round the roundabout in Chewang on Koh Samui several times and almost been t-boned, run off the road, beeped at profusely, and almost hit head on, all by arrogant drivers who don't give way to anybody coming from the right. This roundabout has NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS.

Edited by Amusements

OP Quote "doesn't traffic lights defeat the entire purpose of a roundabout?"

NO!!!!!!

I have been round this roundabout many many times (bike & car) and never had a problem. The lights work, and drivers respect the red light, and stop for the most part. You still get the odd light jumper, but most drivers expect the unexpected there, and accidents are usually avoided.

However...I have only been round the roundabout in Chewang on Koh Samui several times and almost been t-boned, run off the road, beeped at profusely, and almost hit head on, all by arrogant drivers who don't give way to anybody coming from the right. This roundabout has NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS.

I would definitely say yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout (read the second paragraph)

Its really very common.

That is if all (most) people behind the steering wheel actually were thought how to drive in a roundabout.

Which is why one dimensional diagrams are so limiting - drive round it and then tell me the same.........

As to your last comment - are you sure you are not trolling?

Which is why one dimensional diagrams are so limiting - drive round it and then tell me the same.........

As to your last comment - are you sure you are not trolling?

Trolling about what?

Its really quite simple why traffic lights on busy traffic islands are necessary, particularly during peak periods where traffic may flow from a dominant direction thus 'dominating' the Traffic Island.

Traffic lights reduce the 'dominance' effect permitting traffic from other directions to use the traffic Island (i.e. next road to the left).

mate, just look at any intersection without lights and you have your answer, thais dont have the first clue as to who has right of way. While many simply stop due to their indecision some simply power through and dont care of they have right of way or not. I am amazed at how bad many drivers are as they simply cannot understand that going straight ahead has right of way on cars wanting to turn, they usually just keep edging forward till they block the lane forcing the cars that have right of way to stop, without lights roundabouts in Thailand would be backed up for miles

Its really very common.

Probably because Thais don't know how to use them. Giving way to traffic already on a roundabout is an alien concept (all puns intended).

Maybe it wasn't originally a roundabout. Maybe just an area of land where the clock tower was built & over years of some development in the area it just turned into a roundabout. Maybe the traffic lights were there long before. It might have just been an intersection & overtime developed into a roundabout.

That's my roundabout way of trying to suggest what might have occurred.

I think it's roundabout time I was getting around to having a beer.

Cheers..... Mal.

Its really very common.

Normally, it would be for smaller roads to get a chance to enter the roundabout, because the main throughfare would be so busy with traffic, there was no gaps to enter. Hence, stopping the busy flow to allow entry from the 'sides'.

It was done for that reason in my old town anyway...

Edited by Ghostnigel

Its really very common.

I assume you mean taught, I don't think Thais are taught how to use roundabouts.