Bangkok taxi users spared fare increase

webfact

Bangkok taxi users spared fare increase
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Taxi passengers should be happy after Transport Minister Akom Termpitayapaisit Thursday put the brakes on another fare increase in Bangkok.

Akom said lower fuel prices meant a fare hike was unnecessary, while the price of natural gas for vehicles was also stable.

The minister spoke after presiding over the opening ceremony of an "All Thai Taxi" event.

He said the government would receive the outcome of a passenger-satisfaction assessment in October.

"There is an important problem that needs to be resolved urgently - taxis refusing passengers," he said.

Previously, the ministry approved a fare increase of 8 per cent.

The current flagfall is Bt35.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Bangkok-taxi-users-spared-fare-increase-30268063.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-04

I have no qualms about paying more for the 'good' taxi drivers. I can afford it so it's okay. For the average Joe, maybe they can't so it has to be all relative.

When I have a nice clean cab, with a polite driver who drives safely and knows what he's doing - I tip. When I have a driver who doesn't drive safely and tuts at the traffic like it's my fault - I begrudge giving them any kind of reasonable fare.

"The current flagfall is Bt35."

Always has been. For years and years.

About time the drivers got a bit more, imo.

They do get more. The drivers constantly "shorten" the kilometers on their meters, if you haven't noticed.

As a rule, they don't. You're more likely to come across ignorant Thai bashers than a rigged meter.

Taxi fare hike further delayed

34-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Transport has delayed the planned second-phase increase of taxi fares after taxi service showed no satisfactory improvement.

Instead, the ministry urged private companies to launch more taxi services with hope that more taxi operators will bring about improvement in overall taxi service.

Transport minister Arkom Termpittayapaisith said yesterday after he put the brakes on another fare increase of taxi service in Bangkok that the second-phase increase would be reviewed again in October.

He made clear that before a taxi fare hike, the price of natural gas for vehicles (NGV), people’s cost of living as well as the outcome of a passenger-satisfaction survey of taxi services will be considered.

The ministry recently approved a fare increase of 8 per cent last year.

Mr Arkom’s statement came after he presided over the opening ceremony of an “All Thai Taxi” service operated by by Nakornchai Air, Thailand’s well-known bus company.

At the opening of the new taxi service, he urged private firms to set up additional taxi fleets to improve overall standard.

All Thai Taxi will have 150 taxis to service passengers but will to 500 in December and double in the future.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/taxi-fare-hike-further-delayed

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-04

They were awarded a fare increase of between 8-13% recently, so I don't understand all the fuss (though for some reason not all taxis have updated their meters).

I also don't understand why they should be made to take any passenger, it should be their right to refuse passengers from the side of the road, obviously if they refuse too many they won't earn much.

What they should concentrate on is the use of meters and dangerous driving.

I have no qualms about paying more for the 'good' taxi drivers. I can afford it so it's okay. For the average Joe, maybe they can't so it has to be all relative.

When I have a nice clean cab, with a polite driver who drives safely and knows what he's doing - I tip. When I have a driver who doesn't drive safely and tuts at the traffic like it's my fault - I begrudge giving them any kind of reasonable fare.

So do you use the limo-service at suvarnabhumi?

I would say there are about 10% of excellent taxi driver, 60% of medium to bad, 20% cheating and 10% of dangerous ones (drunk, narcotics, criminals). That outside area of Bangkok. Inside it will be a bit different.

No, it hasn't "always" been. A couple of years ago it was raised from 30 to 35 baht.

35 Baht flagfall since 1992.

It was never 30 Baht a couple of years ago.