border officer counting numbers of visas and taking notes

Not the same thing at all.

It is exactly the same thing. There is a limit on tourist visas, which is determined by IO at point of entry. Did you forget what this thread is actually about.

Even so, consulates will not just keep giving out unlimited tourist visas to anyone.

Having been here 19 years, but only just joined this community, there's a lot you have missed. Back when you were doing it it was very easy to get triple entry tourist visas at any consulate. Time have changed a lot since then.

• Embassies/Consulates decide how many TR's one can have. Immigration/IO's have nothing to do with this process.
  • IO's decide if you can enter and not how many TR's you can have.

Lets agree to disagree as this is coming down to semantics.

Thai Visa isn't the only source of Thai immigration information so I doubt I missed much. And I've been a member longer than my current username would suggest, not that time as a member of this forum is any indication of knowledge!

10 years ago I was asked to prove my income before they would give me another TR. A reasonable request, and within their authority as it is now. There have always been stories of people being refused entry for various, often uncorroborated, reasons. So I still fail to see "a lot" of changes.

Counting TR's is obviously a recent policy for reasons unknown/unconfirmed that we will no doubt get the official word on eventually.

The OP asked "Does anyone know how many you can actually have before refused entry, is there a magic number here?" The answer remains that there is no limit ("magic number").

Elvi you are repeating the official version (no limit to number of visas).

But everyone knows that in some borders, immigration is indeed counting

So what ?

Is there solid , first hand information about anyone with a visa being denied entry?

Did I write denied?

This is extraordinary : I am being summoned to provide evidence to something YOU wrote !

I think we reached another level of dishonesty ...

Edited by Kitsune

Elvi you are repeating the official version (no limit to number of visas).

But everyone knows that in some borders, immigration is indeed counting

I'm only repeating because @tropo is repeating claims that IO's have authority to deny entry for having x amount of TR's which is absolutely untrue. I'll happily <deleted> when people stop trying to propagate undue concern without justification.

I've already acknowledged that IO's are counting. Do you know why? Has there been a regulation change giving IO's authority to limit the entries with a TR to x? Or is it just part of a long ongoing campaign by immigration to weed out illegal workers!

If you know something the rest of us don't then please share. If not then I suggest you sit back and wait until people actually get denied entry because of a TR limit, or a regulation change is published.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Paranoid posting is what I am reading. Wait and see, calm down. If tourist visas are restricted then half of Bangkok's schools will be no longer running an English Program next semester. Think about it, who will fill these teaching vacancies? Maybe new work permit rules are to come out permitting you to teach without holding a degree. The military know this. They are not going to worsen the poor English skills of Thailands children. Chill.

• Like 2

Its pointless arguing, if an IO at a border control wants to stop you because today has a "y" in it, or because the sky is the wrong color, you are not entering, legalities, laws, or what "he" said on an internet forum isnt going to change anything, its up to that Officer at that moment in time and the individual circumstances concerned.

• Like 2

These discussions seem to go on and on. It would be nice if ONE member started a thread. "I have a TV in my passport and was refused entry"

I realize there have been some questioned etc. This would be at border crossings. Even if an io denied entry, which they are not suppose to if you have a valid visa. I would try another crossing or go to airport and fly in.

What's the big deal about io counting visas. Has anyone been refused.

The "big deal" is that if in the near future TR visas numbers are limited, this is going to shorten people stay in Thailand dramatically.

The "big deal" is that Millions of people enjoy a holiday in Thailand and find that a visa exempt entry or a single entry tourist visa meets their need.

Then there are the few who attempt to circumvent Thailand generous visa program.

• Like 1

The "big deal" is that if in the near future TR visas numbers are limited, this is going to shorten people stay in Thailand dramatically.

Exactly which is why IMO it won't happen.

What they should do is put the onus on the Embassies and Consulates to obtain financial info from everyone wanting 3 + visas within a short or unbroken time. That way the under 50's that can financially support themselves from abroad won't be affected and the illegal workers will have another obstacle to get over.

Over 50's and married people have to prove their income if staying long term so why shouldn't those staying with TR's be treated the same.

Embassies/Consulates issue the TR's so they should be the ones limiting them.

The big words in your sentence are IF and NEAR FUTURE.

What is basis for crystal ball predictions based on what?

Some of the current issues seem to be due to the abuse of ed visa. That abuse has been going on for some time.

As per my previous thread. Show a thread with someone stating they were refused tourist visa.

Why talk about future notions with no substance behind Mel Gibson conspiracy theories.

The big words in your sentence are IF and NEAR FUTURE.

What is basis for crystal ball predictions based on what?

Some of the current issues seem to be due to the abuse of ed visa. That abuse has been going on for some time.

As per my previous thread. Show a thread with someone stating they were refused tourist visa.

Why talk about future notions with no substance behind Mel Gibson conspiracy theories.

I'm not sure what you're talking about sorry and why you involve Mel Gibson.

The topic is about "

border officer counting numbers of visas and taking notes"

And it's not making prediction to say that they are counting for fun of it.

Mel Gibson movie was about ....everyone out to get him.

You post that there is some imminent threat to the future number of tourist visa because of WHAT EXACTLY.

The io counting them.

As I stated ...comb through TV and find me an creditable post of someone being refused a tourist visa because they have too many. Counted by io or not.

Why post theories.

Kitsune....they could be just trying to show that they are thorough. Who knows and who cares.

Please post when someone has ACTUALLY BEEN REFUSED ENTRY because of too many tourist visas.

Seriously....just quote facts and not random behaviour of io. Maybe big boss directed ....take time looking at pp.

No idea and neither do you.

So if it's NOT to limit the numbers of TR visas, please tell me why they are counting.

Sorry I just can't see any other reason.

Probably for the same reason they count visa exempt entries. Trying to find/deter illegal working.

6 visa exempt entries = interview about what they are doing when in the country. Not a limit or an automatic refusal to enter.

I reckon they could be doing the same with TR entries. x TR's and the IO is expected to consider the person more closely.

These discussions seem to go on and on. It would be nice if ONE member started a thread. "I have a TV in my passport and was refused entry"

I realize there have been some questioned etc. This would be at border crossings. Even if an io denied entry, which they are not suppose to if you have a valid visa. I would try another crossing or go to airport and fly in.

What's the big deal about io counting visas. Has anyone been refused.

"What's the big deal about io counting visas."

See #44...

So if it's NOT to limit the numbers of TR visas, please tell me why they are counting.

Probably for the same reason they count visa exempt entries. Trying to find/deter illegal working.

6 visa exempt entries = interview about what they are doing when in the country. Not a limit or an automatic refusal to enter.

I reckon they could be doing the same with TR entries. x TR's and the IO is expected to consider the person more closely.

Sorry but you are naive.

Illegal working in Thailand makes A LOT of money to many immigration officers and they are not likely to kill the golden goose anytime soon.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/854498-thai-immigration-chief-warned-he-might-face-the-chop/

Cannot see any connection between the link above and the OP account of an io counting his tourist visas.

The link talks about some exposed corruption. If that post is implying that this counting is a precursor to somehow extort monies.....please.

The OP had his TVs counted. That's it. How many people go through border crossings every day with tourist visas.

Reports like the OP are few and refusals ....number please

I agree counting visas is not related to illegal work in my opinion,but Elvi, VIP, and some other members seem to think so.

But you oh all mighty Jacksam, you haven't told us your opinion.Why do you think they are counting TR visas?

I don't have an opinion as to why THEY are counting them. The OP was about his experience. There would be perhaps thousands of people entering los each day on tourist visas. The OP mentioned he had something like 3. Also asked if he may have trouble entering in the future.

The answer to that question is ...no he will not have trouble.

It would appear he wasn't questioned in any way. Opinions are for the pub forum. I'm still waiting for a report of refusal to enter kingdom with a current TV in passport.

As for reading into an (one) IO counting TVs and reading into that that sometime in future there will be restrictions to number of TVs........talk about joining imaginary dots.

Could it be to do with the 6 month TR visa that was announced last month? Perhaps some IO's have been told to note how many people are making multiple entries via tourist visa in order to estimate demand for the new, multi-entry TR. I have no evidence to support this theory, but it is as good a guess as any.

New six month TR visa

Could it be to do with the 6 month TR visa that was announced last month? Perhaps some IO's have been told to note how many people are making multiple entries via tourist visa in order to estimate demand for the new, multi-entry TR. I have no evidence to support this theory, but it is as good a guess as any.

New six month TR visa

I'm not going to get into guessing games.....however your theory would be more solid if it was being done across the board. Of the many many people entering we have this one report.

Interesting that your "idea" would make it more easy for people to obtain TV and the post you include predicts TVs becoming more difficult.

Any other theories out there. Maybe we could run a betting book for interest.

if they restrict tourist visa ( 6 months a year) imagine the loss of money.

they can kick people out like the USA. and make you feel you are a piece of crap and not part of the best club of the world (like the USA :) )

at the end, Thailand will suffer because Thailand make lot of money from tourism...Thailand can kick us out, we can still go to Vietnam... and have a nice life there and viet people will be happy to get our money.

Edited by VIPinthailand

if they restrict tourist visa ( 6 months a year) imagine the loss of money.

they can kick people out like the USA. and make you feel you are a piece of crap and not part of the best club of the world (like the USA :) )

at the end, Thailand will suffer because Thailand make lot of money from tourism...Thailand can kick us out, we can still go to Vietnam... and have a nice life there and viet people will be happy to get our money.

First of all there is no time frame for a mulit 6 month tourist visa. Even if that ever happened its not about only being able to stay for 6 months. You like now , could exit and obtain same over and over. Just like current rules regarding tourist visas. You have misunderstood the suggested future tourist visa. Relax

What's with the reference to USA..Did you run out of time there also? Every country has the right to set their imm rules. Thailand has some of the most generous immigration laws. You mention Vietnam. Yes I love it. Go there every 6 or 7 weeks. Vietnam does not have visa exempt for most countries nor does Cambodia or loas .

Your point??

Sorry but you are naive.

Illegal working in Thailand makes A LOT of money to many immigration officers and they are not likely to kill the golden goose anytime soon.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/854498-thai-immigration-chief-warned-he-might-face-the-chop/

Ok Mr K now I'm confused. You were saying that you believe it's to limit the numbers, but now your saying that due to the income from corruption that they wouldn't want to limit numbers.

I'm sticking with my theory until when or if we know the official line.