Thai immigration chief warned he might face the chop

webfact

Immigration chief warned he might face the chop

301483-imagejpeg-467024-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The immigration police commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Sakda Choenpakdee has been warned by the national police chief that he would be removed to an inactive post if he fails to rein in his men – several of whom were involved in unlawful activities deemed a national threat.

The national police chief, Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmuang, issued the warning at a meeting with 259 immigration police officers from the deputy commissioner down to inspectors held at the National Police Office on Monday. Pol Lt-Gen Sakda was however absent at the meeting.

The immigration police officers were taken to task by Pol Gen Somyot took the opportunity to present them with a damning report, based on complaints and evidences collected in the past year, outlining six misdeeds allegedly committed by several unscrupulous immigration police officers. He told them to stop the malpractices or else.

The six alleged misdeeds are as follows:

1 - Providing service at a substantial charge to extend the stay of foreigners in this country such as arranging student visas for foreigners without actually attending any educational institutes or changing tourist visas into business visas.

The charges range from 12,000-15,000 baht per head.

2 - Providing service in in-out or entrance-exit arrangement for foreigners to extend their stay for another 15 days at a time as the foreigners in question have no justification to stay on.

3 - Allowing illegal immigrants to enter the country in exchange for bribes making it possible for human trafficking.

4 - Stamping seals to falsely claim the stay in Thailand of illegal immigrants to help them gain entry to third countries.

5 - Selling official documents, tor mor 6, to Laotians and Vietnamese who entered the country to work.

6 - Demanding excessive fees from foreigners in exchange for visa on arrival at Don Meuang and Suvarnabhumi international airports.

By average, there are about 6,000 visitors applying for arrival visas a day and each was made to pay 300 baht in extra. The under-the-table fees amount to 1.8 million baht a day and it is not known who have pocketed them.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/immigration-chief-warned-he-might-face-the-chop

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-08

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The under-the-table fees amount to 1.8 million baht a day and it is not known who have pocketed them."

How hard is it to ask the immigration guys at the counters where it goes, and then follow the trail? It's not too difficult so clearly they just don't want to do it.

Bla, bla, bla....more useless talk and no action. Corrupt people and useless people should not be given any warning about what is 'supposedly' going to happen to them. There should be a purge, as the Chinese do it and the suspects should be locked up with immediate effect until enquiry's are completed and trials can begin.

Still; as the dear General has just said today......'' we should not be too hard on them ''. The obvious question is......WHY ?

Bla, bla, bla....more useless talk and no action. Corrupt people and useless people should not be given any warning about what is 'supposedly' going to happen to them. There should be a purge, as the Chinese do it and the suspects should be locked up with immediate effect until enquiry's are completed and trials can begin.

Still; as the dear General has just said today......'' we should not be too hard on them ''. The obvious question is......WHY ?

He just wants to remind them that he's in charge of the corruption now ... It will still be done.. Just don't forget who is the boss..

The national police chief, Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmuang, issued the warning at a meeting with 259 immigration police officers from the deputy commissioner down to inspectors held at the National Police Office on Monday. Pol Lt-Gen Sakda was however absent at the meeting.

Why Pol Lt-Gen Sakda was absent?

The obvious answer is that he was benefitting from the corruption for a very long time. How else did he get 600million baht? careful savings plan?

Like Somyot, he cannot afford to put people in prison, too many people know how long he was sucking on the same teat. It's all about appearances with this guy. It's *only* about appearances.

Why Pol Lt-Gen Sakda was absent?

He lost his face and was unable to attend.

I said elsewhere that immigration in Thailand is utterly bent for a fee.

This might be the start of reforming it, and who knows, it might improve the situation.

Could be a lot of hot air too, just threatening them maybe wanting a higher cut.

This might be the start of reforming it, and who knows, it might improve the situation.

Could be a lot of hot air too, just threatening them maybe wanting a higher cut.

When bombers have bribed their way in, it's a pretty serious issue I reckon.

I think you are on to some thing with the idea of the start to reform it. What other reason would they come out and publically announce that it is going on and heads will roll if not

stemmed. If They had no intention of doing any thing about it they would not have said any

thing.

Let us hope with the upcoming ASEAN or what ever it is called it might be a big advantage

to them to get rid of as much corruption as they can. There will still be corruption the

same as any country in the world but it will be a lot less.

Only 6, tip of the iceberg.

He's obviously no clue whats going on in Chiang Mai.

Fire the boss and set up an English Speaking Anonymous whistle-blower line.

or a website that cant be DOS attacked. I would gladly make one and host it on my servers in singapore, if i get enough requests. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS CORRUPTION IN THAILAND. While getting a work permit with my friend we stumbled upon a tactic they have in Immigration in CHeangwattanna. Why do you think they only accept cash?

I think there is stuff that goes on here that bend the rules slightly - no big foul

But letting someone cross a border into Thailand without even a passport is pushing the limits and the result 21 dead and 100+ seriously injured who probably wish they were dead

Archived