Simple camera system for the home

Hal65

Hi, I would like a very basic single camera system that plugs into a wall outlet and can be directly fed to my computer.

I'm guessing that such a simple system might not be as common because most people buy these to deter crime, and a camera that plugs into a wall outlet can easily be unplugged. But for my use it's just fine. Anyone know if such a system is available? If so, I'm guessing Tukcom is probably the best place to go?

You can buy an IPCAM. Single unit a bit like a webcam and capable of rotating horizontally and vertically. Can be plugged into the power and either your PC or internet router at home and/or Wifi connectable. Add a 32gb micro sd card for recording to the unit if you need to or record to your PC Hard disk. Google Starcam.

Surprisingly good for the price.

Edited by avander

I'm thinking about getting this camera: http://www.lazada.co.th/gateway-p2p-s5030-214884.html

Anyone know some good recording software for these? Ideally my laptop records the camera and saves everything for three weeks

This is similar to what I bought. The format my camera (linux os) records video in is H260 (.h260) and the camera manufacturer provided a viewer to download to play that format. I tried a lot of different players (also renaming the file to mp4 etc) and a well known video converter so I could play/convert to MS Media or VLC players. No success. I'm not sure if the format is different when recording to your laptop but obviously your laptop needs to be on, connected to the camera and the camera app running to record anything.

Generally I've found it confusing having 3 apps for one camera. PC based, smartphone based and the app built in to the camera. While they've tried to provide support language gets in the way with the Chinese manufacturer (Starcam). Maybe others can provide more info....for both of us.

• 3 weeks later...

Tukcom has almost nothing, even the supposed "experts" who actually know nothing.

So incredible that in 2016 with all information on Internet, they are not even able to know what customers want, and sell it at a correct price.

Why paying 3500 for a crap ipcam without support when Foscam costs less than $100 in USA and can be imported without any tax.

• 2 months later...

I have a Hikvision sitting around but have not gotten it to work. SADP (the software) can not seem to detect it

I have numerous Hikvision cameras running to NVRs. How did you connect to the Camera? Are you using POE or an adapter to power the cam?

Tukcom has almost nothing, even the supposed "experts" who actually know nothing.

So incredible that in 2016 with all information on Internet, they are not even able to know what customers want, and sell it at a correct price.

Why paying 3500 for a crap ipcam without support when Foscam costs less than $100 in USA and can be imported without any tax.

I have to agree about the Tukcom experts. I went to pantip mall in BKK to find my cams. Also went to another mall, on the mrt, 2 stops north of asoke. Both of these malls have lots of cams. In BKK the hikvision cams are 2-3 times than buying from aliexpress.

I am using Foscam cameras to check on my kids as baby monitor.

I can highly recommend Foscam also. The FI8910 model has a nice clear picture, and outstanding IR / night vision. Best that I have seen from "consumer grade" cameras.

I bought them ion Ebay, and they delivered fast. Unfortunately I was not so lucky. Ordered one time and delivered extremely fast by Fedex, but they stung me for duty and VAT.

The next time shipped by USPS and I ahd to collect at the local post office. They charged me VAT but no duty.

In both cases, still a good deal and well under $100 for them.

I'm thinking about getting this camera: http://www.lazada.co.th/gateway-p2p-s5030-214884.html

Anyone know some good recording software for these? Ideally my laptop records the camera and saves everything for three weeks

I have tried this camera also. Not this exact brand but another, but it was exactly the same. (Cheap Chinese product sold under many names.)

The picture quality in daylight was adequate at best, and the IR vision was basically un-viewable. When look at the output from this camera beside the Foscam, there is no comparison.

As said in other posts, you get what you pay for.

As you mention, recording software that is bundled with the cameras is crap. Very basic, difficult to set up, and unreliable. Especially with the chinese cameras... instruction manuals are translated from Chinese and impossible to follow.

I recommend the recording software by "Blue Iris" (Google it.) Foscam endorse / licence this software as its premium recording software. Single camera licence is 30 USD, and unlimited cameras for 60 USD. Easy to set up, and feature packed. One feature I really like in this software is motion activation that really works. The camera starts recording when it sees something. It saves a lot of scrolling through hours of unmoving video to find the events.

Having said all that, I also recently tried a camera by VSTARCAM, and liked it.

http://www.vstarcam.com/T7837WIP-PnP-Series-HD-Wifi-IR-P-T-Indoor-IP-CAMERA-82.html

Picture daytime and IR is only slightly less than the Foscam, but totally adequate. Setup was super-easy with their system. They have a clever automatic DDNS system and downloadable app that gets the camera set up to your smartphone and accessible in minutes, and does not require any messing with router- opening ports etc. Price was about 2200 at Fortune Town in BKK.