Using an international debit card over the counter to withdraw money

Phoenix206

I am trying to use my MasterCard debit card to withdraw money at an ATM in Bangkok, Thailand. I have tried many ATMs at many different banks, but when I key in any amount, all I get is "Invalid Amount". My card is only limited to the amount I have available, and the amounts I key in are always below that. Further, I do not believe there are any restrictions on the card from withdrawing in a foreign country, as I was able to withdraw money a month ago. I have had the card for two months.

I suspect this issue is with the banks in Thailand, but getting this problem resolved here is impossible. Nobody knows anything. Not even the managers.

I am also this month being hit with a DCC, which is different from last month when I got a fair exchange rate.

I see the only way around this obstacle is to find a bank which can accept my card over the counter.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and how did you resolve it?

How much are you trying to get? Most ATMs are limited to 20,000 Baht (20 notes), although some for example Bangkok Bank do 25 notes. If there is a block on the card you'll get something like 'transaction cancelled, contact bank'.

If you are offered DCC, just say 'no' and you'll get the Visa / Mastercard rate.

Debit cards over the counter seems hit and miss, some banks will happily do it, others are scared by the 'Debit' on the card.