Renewal of UK NHS Medical Exemption (from Prescription Charge) Card/Certificate

silver sea

About 4.5 years ago, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). I have to take Levothyroxine each day. As I shall need to do this for the rest of my life I am entitled to a medical exemption card/certificate, which means that I do not have to pay the UK NHS prescription charges.

The card is dated from 4th January 2011, and will expire on 3rd January 2016.

Next Tuesday, 15th September, I fly back to Thailand and will not return to the UK until June 2016. I have been living in Thailand for long periods for a number of years now. I do this with the full knowledge of my family doctor (GP). Each time I return to the UK, he checks the health of my prostate and thyroid with the usual blood tests.

When I saw him last week, I asked him about the renewal of my exemption certificate. He was not sure, but did say that, strictly speaking, I was not entitled to the exemption if I am out of the UK for long periods e.g. 9 months as in my case. He understands though that Thailand is good for my general health, and while I am away, I am not costing the NHS anything. He is always happy to give me a prescription to obtain 9 months supply of the Levothyroxine from my local chemist/ pharmacy.

When I originally applied for the exemption I completed form FP92A (see photo below). My GP suggested that I complete a fresh FP92A and to leave it with the Surgery staff. He would then sign it off and post it in say December this year.

I am happy to do this, but thought I would post a question on this Forum first:

Does anyone else have experience of renewing their exemtion card/certificate, please? Do you complete FP92A [see photo below], or do you have to wait until the NHS sends you a different numbered form?

Even though I can't really see the problem about my being away from the UK for long periods, I have no wish to alert the NHS to my absence unnecessarily.

Thank you for any advice that you can give.

post-171664-0-05422100-1441661227_thumb.

Levothyroxine is extremely inexpensive in Thailand, would cost you next to nothing here and requires no prescription.

Can't advise re the forms for the NHS.

Thank you Sheryl for your advice.

The exemption certificate covers not only my hypothyroidism, but any other medical conditions or ailments that I may develop in the future, even if it's only a one-off prescription for antibiotics. It's a very generous scheme. At present, I am very healthy, but I am keen to keep the exemtion certificate if I can.

I am aware that I can buy Levothyroxine in Thailand, but I would prefer to keep to one brand, rather than using one brand in Thailand, and another in the UK.

i had one but when i left the uk.i had to return it,the form part 2 what address do you put? and who's.is uit.

Hello meatboy,

Thank you for your comment.

I still own a small flat in the UK. I do not rent it out while I am away, so post, including any that might come from the NHS, will accumulate on the carpet under the letterbox until my return next June. I am not registered as domiciled abroad, so each month I continue to pay council tax on my flat and also income tax. I am happy to continue paying into the system even though I am not there for most of the year.

Out of interest, how long did you have the exemption certificate for? If it was for more than 5 years, how did you go about renewing it please?

Levothyroxine is extremely inexpensive in Thailand, would cost you next to nothing here and requires no prescription.

Can't advise re the forms for the NHS.

Thank you Sheryl for your advice.

The exemption certificate covers not only my hypothyroidism, but any other medical conditions or ailments that I may develop in the future, even if it's only a one-off prescription for antibiotics. It's a very generous scheme. At present, I am very healthy, but I am keen to keep the exemtion certificate if I can.

I am aware that I can buy Levothyroxine in Thailand, but I would prefer to keep to one brand, rather than using one brand in Thailand, and another in the UK.

i had one but when i left the uk.i had to return it,the form part 2 what address do you put? and who's.is uit.

Hello meatboy,

Thank you for your comment.

I still own a small flat in the UK. I do not rent it out while I am away, so post, including any that might come from the NHS, will accumulate on the carpet under the letterbox until my return next June. I am not registered as domiciled abroad, so each month I continue to pay council tax on my flat and also income tax. I am happy to continue paying into the system even though I am not there for most of the year.

Out of interest, how long did you have the exemption certificate for? If it was for more than 5 years, how did you go about renewing it please?

i had heart surgery in sept.2007 and have to take medication for life,but as i left the uk.in oct.2009 i had to sign off at the doctors,send my ni.health card back as well.i still got my bus pass.my doctor was pretty good to me giving me a private cert.for 18months supply of meds.but as sheryl say's most are not exspensive here its only the imported ones.

From what he says, he is part time in Thailand and part time in the UK each year, still pays rent and council tax on a flat there, etc. So has maintained his UK address and given that he does live there at least some of the time could arguably be said not to have given up UK residency but rather just spends time in Thailand. A different situation form those who have given up their home country residence and made a permanent move to Thailand.

Thank you Sheryl and meatboy for your comments.

I have now been able to track down the answer. I am posting it here for completeness and for future reference to help anyone who may, at a later date, do a search of past ThaiVisa posts on the same point.

Apparently, the NHS writes to you a month before the expiry of the 5 year period. They ask you to complete and sign another FP92A and to ask your GP to countersign it and then to post it back to the NHS.

In my case, the 5 year period expires in January 2016, and so the NHHS will write to me next December. I fly to Thhailand next Tuesday, and will not be returning to the UK until next June. Yesterday, therefore, I completed and signed a fresh FP92A, and have left the undated form at my doctor's surgery. They have kindly agreed to hold onto the form until next December/January and will then arrange for my doctor to sign and date both the. Form and my signature. My new exemption certificate/card should, therefore, be waiting for me on my return to the UK.

I have now been able to track down the answer. I am posting it here for completeness and for future reference to help anyone who may, at a later date, do a search of past ThaiVisa posts on the same point.

Apparently, the NHS writes to you a month before the expiry of the 5 year period. They ask you to complete and sign another FP92A and to ask your GP to countersign it and then to post it back to the NHS.

In my case, the 5 year period expires in January 2016, and so the NHHS will write to me next December. I fly to Thhailand next Tuesday, and will not be returning to the UK until next June. Yesterday, therefore, I completed and signed a fresh FP92A, and have left the undated form at my doctor's surgery. They have kindly agreed to hold onto the form until next December/January and will then arrange for my doctor to sign and date both the. Form and my signature. My new exemption certificate/card should, therefore, be waiting for me on my return to the UK.

not sure about the legality of your application as you will be out of the country for 9months.your doctor seems to be taking a chance signing and dateing the form for you.

you should get the booklet on claiming while living abroad,as i know with any benefits you cant be away for more than 120days unless its all changed.

try and find out rather than leave yourself wide open for benefit fraud.

not sure about the legality of your application as you will be out of the country for 9months.your doctor seems to be taking a chance signing and dateing the form for you.

you should get the booklet on claiming while living abroad,as i know with any benefits you cant be away for more than 120days unless its all changed.

try and find out rather than leave yourself wide open for benefit fraud.

silver sea you could be treading on thin ice.

exemption cert.is for people living in the UK.

to claim while away the maximum is 3months,also your doctor can only give you a prescription for up to 3months.

if you are away for longer periods you MUST inform the health service.

even if you still have a home in the uk.you must follow the RULES.

i know all this from the time i left the uk.and made sure i did not let myself open to fraud,because they dwp.will hound you never mind where you go or what you tell them UNLESS YOU CAN PROVE YOU DID INFORM THEM.

myself i have always played by the book,i will fight for what i am entitled to and have always been honest.

so if as you say you have no intention of letting them know dont cry if you get caught.

Hello meatboy

Thank you for the advice. This is useful and important information for anyone in the future, who may be researching this question through the Thaivisa search engine.

You are right, we must be honest. I have no wish to get into trouble with the. DWP or to be prosecuted for fraud.

I can apply for a new exemption certificate on my return to the UK next June. If they refuse to give me one, because of my long absences from the UK, then I can buy the Levothyroxine in Thailand. I understand from earlier comments that I would not need a prescription and the tablets are inexpensive.

I am lucky to be in good general health and so have only ever used the exemption certificate in relation to the

Levothyroxine. I have much to be grateful for.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post.

Hello meatboy

Thank you for the advice. This is useful and important information for anyone in the future, who may be researching this question through the Thaivisa search engine.

You are right, we must be honest. I have no wish to get into trouble with the. DWP or to be prosecuted for fraud.

I can apply for a new exemption certificate on my return to the UK next June. If they refuse to give me one, because of my long absences from the UK, then I can buy the Levothyroxine in Thailand. I understand from earlier comments that I would not need a prescription and the tablets are inexpensive.

I am lucky to be in good general health and so have only ever used the exemption certificate in relation to the

Levothyroxine. I have much to be grateful for.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post.

yes SS MEDICATIONis not expensive,its generic which is no different to what they now give you in the uk.

i pay as little for bp.control 180bht.x 100tabs.

warfarin 450bht x100 x 3mg.

miracid omprozole 45bht.x 14 x20mg.

perindopril can only get imported 450bht x30tabs

so like me i got a private cert.off my doctor in the uk.i found thailand is cheaper.

but yoy got to know where to go,never in the hospital pharmacy.

where in thailand are you based.

Archived