insurance in thaiand

juice777

Hello people

Before I came here about a year ago I took out some basic travel insurance this is about to run out. I can renew it for a year if I want to. The other day I met a guy from the UK he said he some sort of insurance that covers him for accidents in Thailand with the k bank. It only cost 2500b for the year. This got me thinking is there any basic insurance plans I can take out here here on a tourist visa which covers me for emergency things only like heart attacks or getting hit by a car or stabled by a crazy person or something like that. I do not mean full on health insurance just in a emergency .And i do not need baggage insurance or things like that.any ideas ?

I doubt it- if there was then many expats would use that insurance. Most sensible expats have medical insurance for an emergency. ie In patient only and not outpatient cover. If you have a heart attack or car runs over you or you are stabbed and spend 2 weeks in ICU then you are talking big money. Really big. My car insurance is 20,000 a year! If you have been here for a year I am surprised you got travel insurance for one year. Most are time limited. Just looked on K bank for you. Premium 2500 Baht. Total medical limit 50,000 baht - useless. Hospital 1000 baht per day. Best you don't have an accident.

Edited by pontious

I just going 2 go with the travel insurance again seems the simplest option and by far the cheapest

Out of interest what are you covered for (and limit) on your travel insurance. I am surprised you can get a 'second year' on it - normally it is only valid for X days per annum.

I just going 2 go with the travel insurance again seems the simplest option and by far the cheapest

Out of interest what are you covered for (and limit) on your travel insurance. I am surprised you can get a 'second year' on it - normally it is only valid for X days per annum.

There are some long stay/backpacker policies where you can do this. I had several different ones over a nearly 6 year period. Nomads was one and you can Google for others - in fact there was a topic on here some while ago you may be able to find if interested thumbsup.gif

It is usually the cheapest option for full coverage for emergency health treatment including repatriation plus you get the other travel insurance bits.

There are some long stay/backpacker policies where you can do this. I had several different ones over a nearly 6 year period. Nomads was one and you can Google for others - in fact there was a topic on here some while ago you may be able to find if interested thumbsup.gif

It is usually the cheapest option for full coverage for emergency health treatment including repatriation plus you get the other travel insurance bits.

You have to check very carefully. Most Travel Insurance have a time limit. For example even when you have a 1 year period, you can go out of your home country for a max of 6 weeks 3 months or wathever. then you have to travel back your home country. As far I was for my Travel Insurance a few years back, It was valid for 6 Months, then i had to stay at least 1 day or something at my home country.

In addition to this, my travel insurance was only valid with an Health Insurance from my homecountry. So the Travel Insurance can't be used as a cheap health insurance. At least not this ones i checked.

If you found a cheap Travel insurance which cover everything, i would be surprised, but because i don't know the name of it or a website to check.... maybe it's correct and then you are a lucky man.

You have to check very carefully. Most Travel Insurance have a time limit. For example even when you have a 1 year period, you can go out of your home country for a max of 6 weeks 3 months or wathever. then you have to travel back your home country. As far I was for my Travel Insurance a few years back, It was valid for 6 Months, then i had to stay at least 1 day or something at my home country.

In addition to this, my travel insurance was only valid with an Health Insurance from my homecountry. So the Travel Insurance can't be used as a cheap health insurance. At least not this ones i checked.

If you found a cheap Travel insurance which cover everything, i would be surprised, but because i don't know the name of it or a website to check.... maybe it's correct and then you are a lucky man.

yes I was lucky for 6 years..........wacko.pngannoyed.gif

Try rereading my post again and Google Nomads Insurance or long stay insurance - or since you are obviously too lazy - http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/?_ga=1.232010140.2031034527.1442041502

or another I was with https://www.worldwideinsure.com/longstay-travel-insurance.htm

Obviously it is not the same as a medical health policy facepalm.gif

I have a 1 year worldwide backpackers insurance valid every where apart from the USA I think, I read the small print the other month and it said u can't take it out if u have already started traveling, guessing that the other company's have the same rule I phoned them up and they said I can renew it 4 a year. It was about a 150 pound

The first thing you need to do is check with the hospital here and see if they will take your Traveler insurance, a friend of mine did the same thing had an accident here and they would not take his insurance he had to get money wired here and submit the bills back to the insurance company for re-imbursement.

But you should get a better plan.

• 5 weeks later...

The first thing you need to do is check with the hospital here and see if they will take your Traveler insurance, a friend of mine did the same thing had an accident here and they would not take his insurance he had to get money wired here and submit the bills back to the insurance company for re-imbursement.

But you should get a better plan.

I never found any travel insurance plan that was accepted by any Thai hospital or any travel insurance plan that would direct pay the hospital. All the travel insurance plans I ever found were all required you to pay the hospital and then you had to file a claim with them later. They had a lot of nice language about calling the hospital, verifying you had some insurance, etc. but that was about it. If anybody knows some travel insurance plans that are actually accepted by a Thai hospital so you don't have to pay up front, please post them. USA citizen

Thanks