Personal Accident Insurance

Pdavies99

I think the banks have decent ones, Kasikorn for instance.

They do. I have 100,000 baht of accident cover through Siam Commercial (SCB). Cost: about 3000 baht a year.

Sure, arguably 100,000 baht of cover is not that much. My thinking is that the SCB insurance card I always carry should be easily recognisable to the average Thai person and, if it comes to it, 100,000 baht should be at least enough to get my unconscious body to a hospital. At the hospital hopefully they will recognise the BUPA International card which is also in my pocket.

We've got bupa accident plus, 1414b/head for a year. 100k, 50k if scooter related. Five heads, not sure if it's some sort of a group discount, wife handles the stuff. I remember residence proof from immigration was needed.

They do. I have 100,000 baht of accident cover through Siam Commercial (SCB). Cost: about 3000 baht a year.

Sure, arguably 100,000 baht of cover is not that much. My thinking is that the SCB insurance card I always carry should be easily recognisable to the average Thai person and, if it comes to it, 100,000 baht should be at least enough to get my unconscious body to a hospital. At the hospital hopefully they will recognise the BUPA International card which is also in my pocket.

By the way, I don't think you have to have a bank account with the bank in order to have the accident insurance.

some years back I got a very good policy from New Hamshire Insurance. They saved me some problems. My young daughter broke an expensive vase at a shop in London whilst we were on holiday and the insurance company paid up. But most helpful of all was when I accidently caused a fire in a nearby forestry project when burning some waste on my farm in Chiangmai. They negotiated with the frorestry official and paid them off otherwise I could have been in real trouble. They have an office in Bangkok. I personally would never go without such a policy especially when I played golf. Hitting someone with a golfball could result in a large claim.

Kasikorn has a Basic Accident Plan and the Accident Protect Plus includes life insurance (must hold a Kbank Account).

The Basic plan is a 500Bht yearly premium for a whopping 1,000 baht of coverage - Not worth it IMHO!!!

I opted for the Accident Protect Plus plan, a brief summery of the "Plus" plan premiums; 2,500 Baht/year for single or 4,700 Baht/year Family.

Brief summary of Plus Plan coverage (single);

1. Loss of Life/Total Permanent Disability - while traveling on public vehicle, and while travel abroad (outside public vehicle) = 3 mill Baht.

2. Loss of Life/Loss of hand, foot or sight or Total Permanent Disability - General Accident = 1 mill Baht - Riding or traveling by Motorcycle (must be legal licensed) = 300,000 baht - by Murder or assault = 300,000 baht.

3. Loss of Life/Loss of hand, foot or sight or Total Permanent Disability from Terrorism = 300,000 baht.

4. Medical Expense per Accident = 50,000 baht

5. Daily Hospital Admission Benefit, max 365 days per accident = 1,000 Baht.

After you apply, it will take 1-2 weeks to receive your card. If going to a non-governmental hospital just show your card, if going to a government hospital you will have to pay out of pocket and save receipts for reimbursement.

Side note; When I received the full benefits contract in written Thai w/ portions translated into English. After reading the translated version (I cannot read Thai), it stated that Motorcycle riding and travel was excluded. I went back into the branch to clarify if this was a typo or possibly translated incorrectly, as the brief Benefits Coverage paper they showed me when I purchased clearly stated it was covered.

They called the head Branch in BKK and assured me 100% that the Motorcyclist is covered as long as you have a proper Thai License. Not sure if an IDP would suffice?

Cheers, WS

Edit: I could not figure out how to attach a PDF file, so i typed it out. Any tips on how to attach a PDF?- could not find in a forum search..

Edited by wannascuba
  • Like 1

At what age does all this stop?

My SCB accident insurance stops at age 70 (I think).

However Bangkok Bank do accident insurance up to age 100 - although it gets very expensive for not much cover.

I was thinking about getting the Kasikorn insurance but if you look at the benefits the only REAL one is the 50,000 medical expenses. Loss of life cover is fine but it doesn't help me when i'm dead. So you are paying 2,500 baht for 50,000 cover.

Banks only act as brokers for the insurance companies, any broker is paid by the insurance company for what they sell and are not allowed to inflate prices, so for example a PA policy from AXA will be the same price through any broker or even direct to AXA, but a broker may find you a more suitable policy from a competing insurance company, but a lower cost policy will usually come with lower benefits as well.

Bangkok Banks version. I have taken out the PA Ist Senior, well it will help the wife for funeral costs!! sad.png

http://www.bangkokba...ages/PA1st.aspx

Seems the benefits are very poor with this bank - I can only see 30k Baht for medical expenses ? As "Bazmlb" said why use a bank teller when you can use licensed brokers and get all the insurance companies plans and compare

but a lower cost policy will usually come with lower benefits as well.
To quote Bazmlb.

Your not going to get much for the premium charged with BBK, its just personal accident cover. For major medical wife and I have been with BUPA for several years now. Where I live licensed brokers are a bit thin on the ground, though we do get visits from people trying to sell life cover/medical insurance schemes.

Dear P'Davies,

You can contact SFS Thailand (02 61 31 745), a broker based in Bangkok.

BR

Take great care - I had bad trouble with a similar "financial advisor" with a claim

The advantage of a broker is precisely to support its clients if there is a problem with a claim... But I agree, some brokers are not really professionals, that's why you have to choose carrefully who will represent your interest (I'm thinking at what happened 3 years ago with a broker in BKK, maybe that's what you're refering to...)

I was thinking about getting the Kasikorn insurance but if you look at the benefits the only REAL one is the 50,000 medical expenses. Loss of life cover is fine but it doesn't help me when i'm dead. So you are paying 2,500 baht for 50,000 cover.

correct - it's useless unless you are dead or seriously injured - General accident or much less if motor related

50k might just cover you for some basic cuts and bruises maybe even a breakage if not too serious - Thai hospitals have become extremely expensive these days, there's a guy in a coma in pattaya right now and the hospital are charging 100k per day - outragous rip off imo

Edited by smedly

there's a guy in a coma in pattaya right now and the hospital are charging 100k per day - outragous rip off imo

Not necessarily, sounds as if he is very seriously ill and is in ICU - in any case leave it to his medical insurance to sort out ( they can complain to the hospital )

Edited by canopus1969

This tread seems to be confusing health insurance and personal accident insurance. Quite simply PA insurance is inexpensive and only provides coverage following an accident and small sub-limits often apply (see wannascuba's post above).

Health insurance is expensive, it will cover accident and illness, though you get what you pay for.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think so. If you are just interested in medical expenses you might better choose a health insurance. An accident insurance is e.g. also good for things like loss of hand/foot. OK, the money you get is not that much that it will make you happy, but it can help you somehow.

But it seems you must pay more to get something interesting. For example AXA. You pay e.g. 8,000 a year, get 200,000 for medical expenses each accident and 2,000,000 for dismemberment. And they pay 2,000 per week if you are not able to work (max. one year).

http://www.axa.co.th...smartcare-prime

What do you think?

I don't think so. If you are just interested in medical expenses you might better choose a health insurance. An accident insurance is e.g. also good for things like loss of hand/foot. OK, the money you get is not that much that it will make you happy, but it can help you somehow.

But it seems you must pay more to get something interesting. For example AXA. You pay e.g. 8,000 a year, get 200,000 for medical expenses each accident and 2,000,000 for dismemberment. And they pay 2,000 per week if you are not able to work (max. one year).

What do you think?

that looks pretty good - need to check the fine print- it's like it would be in their best interests to keep you alive lol

• 4 weeks later...

Kasikorn has a Basic Accident Plan and the Accident Protect Plus includes life insurance (must hold a Kbank Account).

The Basic plan is a 500Bht yearly premium for a whopping 1,000 baht of coverage - Not worth it IMHO!!!

I opted for the Accident Protect Plus plan, a brief summery of the "Plus" plan premiums; 2,500 Baht/year for single or 4,700 Baht/year Family.

This sounds a promising offer from Kasikorn bank as Bupa & AXA have rejected my request. They explain that the condition has changed recently and PA is for Thai nationality only.

So I am hoping Kasikorn bank will grant my request this week.

Is your proceeding smoothily? What requirement to bring? Will passport & proof of residence be sufficient? (without work permit?)

Regards

Tony, expat

What do you think?

that looks pretty good - need to check the fine print- it's like it would be in their best interests to keep you alive lol

At first, AXA branch office accepts my request. After a few hours later, I got the email from them saying they can not accept it. The reason is PA is for Thai nationality only. Of course, I get the full refund & to continue my hunting for another PA.

Tony sad.png