Name This Snake

Nikkijah

Found this sluggish viper looking snake in our garden today, it had clearly just swallowed something as it couldn't be bothered to move away from us, either that or it simply didn't give a toss about me :D plus the big bulge at the rear end gave it away - I didn't know food travelled that far down before being digested - maybe this snake has problems :o Maybe 'she's preggers!

I say it looks like a viper because of the shape of the head and the position of it's 'nostrils'(or pits) but for all I know vipers might not exist in thailand...

Any ideas?

ngou_1.jpg

ngou_2.jpg

Hi,

I am not an expert, but I would be pretty sure it is a pit viper, possibly the Big-eyed Pit Viper Trimeresurus macrops.

Not something you want to pick up :o

Where did you find it, and what time of day ?

edit> Yes, found all over Thailand

Edited by phibunmike

I used a 2 metre bamboo stick to move it, I had no choice as it was in the middle of our path and didn't want to move, like I said though, it was pretty docile, if it had been thrashing around I wouldn't have bothered, I like my limbs and wouldn't lose them for a snake :D

It was found at about 14:00 by our gardener, out in the open and not giving a sh1t...

edit/found in Bangkok Noi, we have some land here which has lots of wild-life :o

Edited by Nikkijah

I used a 2 metre bamboo stick to move it, I had no choice as it was in the middle of our path and didn't want to move, like I said though, it was pretty docile, if it had been thrashing around I wouldn't have bothered, I like my limbs and wouldn't lose them for a snake :D

It was found at about 14:00 by our gardener, out in the open and not giving a sh1t...

edit/found in Bangkok Noi, we have some land here which has lots of wild-life :o

Hmmm. Big-eye is all over Thailand except for the peninsular, but is most active early morning or dusk.... most of the pit-vipers are nocturnal, but maybe this guy was slow with his full stomach :D

If he did bite you, I don't think losing a limb would be your main concern :D

Found this sluggish viper looking snake in our garden today, it had clearly just swallowed something as it couldn't be bothered to move away from us, either that or it simply didn't give a toss about me :D plus the big bulge at the rear end gave it away - I didn't know food travelled that far down before being digested - maybe this snake has problems :o Maybe 'she's preggers!

I say it looks like a viper because of the shape of the head and the position of it's 'nostrils'(or pits) but for all I know vipers might not exist in thailand...

Any ideas?

ngou_1.jpg

ngou_2.jpg

Looks like a vine snake I saw at a reptile farm in the states.

That's one of the main reasons I would never move in a wild area, the ideea of being disturbed by a viper, cobra or God knows what kind of wild dangerous creature, makes me crazy, let alone the peace and quiet

Looks like a vine snake I saw at a reptile farm in the states.

I understand - long, thin, green snake - looks like tree snake or vine snake - but check the "pits" (as mentioned by OP) and the eyes - not a harmless arboreal creature, but a rather deadly fellow..... do not assume all long thin green snales are harmless !!!!!!! (as I used to)

That's one of the main reasons I would never move in a wild area, the ideea of being disturbed by a viper, cobra or God knows what kind of wild dangerous creature, makes me crazy, let alone the peace and quiet

A WILD area? You'd be amazed at what shows up in BKK :o An amazing menagerie of venemous creatures! <and I am no talking about the 2 legged kind>

Isn't this what they call in Thai a "red-tailed" green snake (don't remember exactly the Thai)- a very aggressive snake found frequently in trees and gardens, even in the city. Its venom is not so quick-acting or dangerous, but these snakes like to bite. Had an acquaintance (living in Bangkok) who spent a few days in the hospital after being bitten on her arm.

Do snakes have Christian names? :o

Isn't this what they call in Thai a "red-tailed" green snake (don't remember exactly the Thai)- a very aggressive snake found frequently in trees and gardens, even in the city. Its venom is not so quick-acting or dangerous, but these snakes like to bite. Had an acquaintance (living in Bangkok) who spent a few days in the hospital after being bitten on her arm.

Do snakes have Christian names? :o

Out of respect for the OP's initial request, I did not want to mention that the particular ophidian displayed is actually Reginald...

Thats the beauty of being B70 away from all the action but still have my own little jungle, the snakes never come close to the house - only the frogs are that ballsy...

I couldn't count the number of spitting cobras I have herded out of my garden in Singapore... :o

But they are not a problem if you don't surprise them :D

Well we agree on the genus - but in the link you gave the photo shows many pale spots along the snake - are you sure about the species ??

The head looks pretty similar. Agree about the pale spots, but maybe they vary from individual to individual ?

Well we agree on the genus - but in the link you gave the photo shows many pale spots along the snake - are you sure about the species ??

Good guess but phibunmike is right, my snake had hardly any markings on it's back and they were very dark, the head on my snake is much less lumpy, this may just be age or 'wear' but I think it is another member of the viper family, perhaps a second cousin :D

The head looks pretty similar. Agree about the pale spots, but maybe they vary from individual to individual ?

Well compare to this chappy....

post-21307-1159287484_thumb.jpg

I couldn't count the number of spitting cobras I have herded out of my garden in Singapore... :o

I've been guaranteed not to find any cobras here, apparently they were all killed when the land was turned into a chicken farm for sad but obvious reasons :D

Our land is segregated from any other kind of wild grassy ladn so what we have now is all we're likely to have... saying that, my partner saw a snake about 150cms long but about the width of a big mans arm!! :D what the h3ll was it?? sounds like a deformed python or something - so short but so fat...

I've been guaranteed not to find any cobras here, apparently they were all killed when the land was turned into a chicken farm for sad but obvious reasons :D

Our land is segregated from any other kind of wild grassy ladn so what we have now is all we're likely to have... saying that, my partner saw a snake about 150cms long but about the width of a big mans arm!! :D what the h3ll was it?? sounds like a deformed python or something - so short but so fat...

Acrocordus is a chubby chappy..

... saying that, my partner saw a snake about 150cms long but about the width of a big mans arm!! :o what the h3ll was it?? sounds like a deformed python or something - so short but so fat...

therer is an amateur herpetologist who is a member, we need his help here.....

Do snakes have Christian names? :D

luckily this one had just eaten, it's eyes were tiny slits of black when it was found but when I went back to check it hadn't died it's eyes were massive black circles - quite scary actually :o

Looks like a White-lipped pit viper to me. Thai name, ngoo kiau haug mei toong liang. Very aggressive (likes to bite) and is meduim on the deadly scale.....make you very sick but not die.

post-25614-1159294860_thumb.jpg

Spot on Rdrokit, looks very similar, thanks for that, slightly long Thai name eh??

This one in my garden today wasn't aggressive at all, the complete opposite, if I knew how to handle snakes I would have been happy picking this one up... but I'm not, I love to tease them but out of striking distance, I love to see what they can do :o

Edited by Nikkijah

Looks like a White-lipped pit viper to me. Thai name, ngoo kiau haug mei toong liang. Very aggressive (likes to bite) and is meduim on the deadly scale.....make you very sick but not die.

Spot on Rdrokit, looks very similar, thanks for taht, slightly long Thai name eh??

This one in my garden today wasn't aggressive at all, the complete opposite, if I knew how to handle snakes I would have been happy picking this one up... but I'm not, I love to tease them but out of striking distance, I love to see what they can do :o

Doesn't the white-lipped PV have more of a yellow underside, or is that only in some cases ?

Spot on Rdrokit, looks very similar, thanks for taht, slightly long Thai name eh??

Doesn't the white-lipped PV have more of a yellow underside, or is that only in some cases ?

The coloring on this snake is slightly different to mine but the position of the eyes on the head, the pits in front of the eyes and the general body shape size looks spot on

Haven't seen that many to answer that but the one in my picture looks like the one in Nikkis garden.

Haven't seen that many to answer that but the one in my picture looks like the one in Nikkis garden.

actually, this one looks like it's got green eyes :D

Uh, maybe it is time to switch your "avatar" away from Che, a man known to have lived in the jungles, to something a bit more urban.