pattaya to sihanoukville.

dirtycash

what is best way to do this trip. i need some questions answered , i was there before 5 years ago but some things have maybe changed.

1. how much is visa at immigration , have heard its now 25 dollars or is it better to pay in thai baht and how much ?

2. is it better to get e-visa online and why ?

3. what is best currency to bring , thai baht / USD / or just withdraw dollars in cambodia using my kasikorn visa card ?

4. do you still need an overnight stay in that sh**ty little place koh kong ?

5. what is best way to get to border ? minvan or bus , where do i get minivan, where do i get bus ?

5. any other advice on where to stay etc in snv .

if everything is too much hassle then i may head to hau hin or koh chang.

thanks

1. $30 officially but they will demand it in THB and at an extortionate exchange rate.

2.Probably.But print off two copies and keep one for the exit.

3.THB can be used in Koh Kong but not in SHV. Best to bring USD in case you have problems with your card.

4. Yes, but it is an OK town. A VIP room at the Asia Hotel is good. Around $30.

5. Take a minivan to Trat bus station, then minivan to the border. A big bus passes once a day on Sukhumvit around 6am. Return journey departs Trat at 12 noon.

6. Sea view room at the Serendipity Beach Resort, around $50.

Good idea. It is a long slog from Pattaya to SHV. Actually there are a couple of nice places in Koh Kong, one by the river and one by the sea (both on the west side of the bridge). Very relaxing and great places to eat. No nightlife of course.

It is a hard slog from pattaya, despite all the posts about the 6am bus from pattaya its actually an orange local that stops at every mango tree on the way. When I got on it was jam packed full of schoolkids and navy workers all going to Sattahip. It took ages just to make it to Sattahip as we were literally stopping every few hundred yards. A few km's outside of Rayong the bus took a crap and died and we all waited on the side of the road for another bus. The driver somehow got it going again and we jumped back but it sounded f**ked. Another 5km's of stopping and I lost patience got off and took a minivan back to Pattaya. About a week later I went to the border from Ko Samet/Rayong by minivan leaving Rayong at 9am and got to the border crossing about 1.30pm. When I got into Ko Kong the mototaxi dropped me off at the 'bus station' which was a red muddy field and there was only 1 bus left going to Snooky at 3pm. I foolishly took this bus believing the guy telling me it was about 3 hrs, he said I also would have to transfer to a bus coming from PP along the route. I got there at 11.30pm starving, nightmare trip.

You definitely want to get the evisa as they charge anywhere from 1500-2000 baht and they will not accept the payment in dollars despite the official cambodian website stating it. They are a royal pain in the arse the cambo border guards.

One of the annoying things about the ATM's in cambodia is they give out $100 bills and cashing them is impossible.

Edited by limirl

Re the ATMs in Cambodia. The trick is to withdraw sums such as $90, $190, $290 etc. That way you get some small money. When you have a $100 bill, use it in a bar or restaurant. They will ask you if you have smaller money. Just say no. Check your change for any bills that are torn and get them to change them. You can also get them to note down the serial number of a $100 bill when they take it, in case they come back with a different one and say it is a forgery.

Hello,

It sounds like more fun and adventure if you go to Cambodia.

Have you been to Hua Hin before? This is just a busy, small

(not cheap) town with loads of Chinese tourists taking photos

with a selfie stick.

Good luck and have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a hard slog from pattaya, despite all the posts about the 6am bus from pattaya its actually an orange local that stops at every mango tree on the way. When I got on it was jam packed full of schoolkids and navy workers all going to Sattahip. It took ages just to make it to Sattahip as we were literally stopping every few hundred yards. A few km's outside of Rayong the bus took a crap and died and we all waited on the side of the road for another bus. The driver somehow got it going again and we jumped back but it sounded f**ked. Another 5km's of stopping and I lost patience got off and took a minivan back to Pattaya. About a week later I went to the border from Ko Samet/Rayong by minivan leaving Rayong at 9am and got to the border crossing about 1.30pm. When I got into Ko Kong the mototaxi dropped me off at the 'bus station' which was a red muddy field and there was only 1 bus left going to Snooky at 3pm. I foolishly took this bus believing the guy telling me it was about 3 hrs, he said I also would have to transfer to a bus coming from PP along the route. I got there at 11.30pm starving, nightmare trip.

You definitely want to get the evisa as they charge anywhere from 1500-2000 baht and they will not accept the payment in dollars despite the official cambodian website stating it. They are a royal pain in the arse the cambo border guards.

One of the annoying things about the ATM's in cambodia is they give out $100 bills and cashing them is impossible.

Next time draw out something like $190 and your problem is solved.