Cameras, how long after a release do they reach Thai shops?

sabdart

Hello All,

I'm interested in the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 which came out in May 2015. But I guess this could be a more general question. How long after a camera is released does it typically take to start appearing in Thai camera stores?

I should point out (to avoid these inevitable lines of advice) I'm aware it's possible to get things by ordering online, or even getting on a plane. I prefer to handle a camera for myself before making a final decision and I'm usually patient enough to wait.

There is no "typically". Buyers in Europe and the U.S. mostly decide to buy their better cameras after they read a test of it. If a test is positive throughout, then it will create a strong demand in the market, and those markets, U.S. and Europe, will be served first, the production output adjusted accordingly. That means, you wait, or when this certain model is not successful in the U.S./Europe, it will be on the local market quite fast. Even the online shop LAZADA offers the camera, but it has to be imported by them in the first place. It is not on stock.

We get Sony right away or maybe even earlier than Europe / America. Panasonic seems to be somewhere between 6 to 8 weeks after worldwide release.

I have spoken to Panasonic about this and they did not have any explanation. I waited about 7 weeks to get GH4 when it was released.

Olympus seems to be the same time as international release. For other brands I am not sure. Try AV camera ( avcamera.com ) and they should be

able to tell you the release date for Thailand. They are an official dealer for Panasonic, and a very good shop.

Archived