Buriram villagers under siege by wild elephants

webfact

Buriram villagers under siege by wild elephants

BURIRAM, 11 September 2015 (NNT) – Wild elephants foraging for food have wreaked havoc on farms and homes in Non Din Daeng district of Buriram province.

The elephants often come at night to raid fruit orchards near Dong-Yai National Park. Some locals reported that the pachyderms also destroy their kitchens in search of food.

Local officials said this is a common occurrence during the rainy season, when fruit orchards grow ripe for harvesting. Despite the perennial wild elephant encounters, there have yet to be any reports of villagers retaliating against the animals.

Officials of the Dong-Yai Wildlife Sanctuary have been informed of the attacks and will carry out patrols in the area.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-11 footer_n.gif

I hope the Elephants destroy that place. ......lol....

What the hell is funny about that ?

What was the area before the fruit orchards?? What did the animals eat before the humans came along and sewed their oats??

Sorry for the farmers and chefs of Buriram, but in reality there are many places on earth that should have been no go areas, but for the greedy land clearing cattle, fruit and vegetable farmers who came along for another quick buck?? [pun intended]

If a lion can screw a dental practice in America, hungry elephants can eat fruit and noodles in Buriram!!

biggrin.pngtongue.pnglaugh.pngwai.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifsorry.gif

Edited by wirat69

What was the area before the fruit orchards?? What did the animals eat before the humans came along and sewed their oats??

Sorry for the farmers and chefs of Buriram, but in reality there are many places on earth that should have been no go areas, but for the greedy land clearing cattle, fruit and vegetable farmers who came along for another quick buck?? [pun intended]

If a lion can screw a dental practice in America, hungry elephants can eat fruit and noodles in Buriram!!

We are all very glad for you that you are not married to a Buriram province girl from that area. It makes life that much simpler for you. Life for rural Thais in many areas is exceedingly difficult. Many of these people have no control over the circumstances of their life. Elephants are huge problem as they are very destructive and don't just steal a few fruit. They can knock down whole orchards of trees. Your simplistic answer is not helpful. Here's another simplistic answer. "Shoot the elephants" Fortunately I doubt that it is on the table as a solution to anything but saving lives (not trees.). Lets hope someone in authority can help the elephants stay in the reserve areas and keep enough food there so that they are not tempted to maraud through orchards. Perhaps, let us also hope the orchards are illegal ones encroaching on national parks, then you would have my support.

We are all very glad for you that you are not married to a Buriram province girl from that area. It makes life that much simpler for you. Life for rural Thais in many areas is exceedingly difficult. Many of these people have no control over the circumstances of their life. Elephants are huge problem as they are very destructive and don't just steal a few fruit. They can knock down whole orchards of trees. Your simplistic answer is not helpful. Here's another simplistic answer. "Shoot the elephants" Fortunately I doubt that it is on the table as a solution to anything but saving lives (not trees.). Lets hope someone in authority can help the elephants stay in the reserve areas and keep enough food there so that they are not tempted to maraud through orchards. Perhaps, let us also hope the orchards are illegal ones encroaching on national parks, then you would have my support

Many are

Oh dear....another whacko who won't be happy until we all live in state sanctioned grass huts singing around the campfire environmentally sensitive natural gas burner.