Documents for extension of stay based upon retirement....

Hi

I will be returning to Thailand in October on my second entry of a triple entry Tourist Visa.

The expiry of the Visa December 8th 2015.

I understand that if I return in October, and then leave again and return before December 8th, I can stay for 60 + 30 days.

So lets say the Tourist Visa will expire towards the end of February.

When is the best time to apply for an extension based on retirement?

I currently have a Thai bank account with the necessary funds. Is this Bank Statement OK?

Is there any other documentation that I need to get the 12 month extension?

Can you get a re-entry permit on the extension if I need to make a trip?

Anything else I need to do or prepare or suggestions?

Thank you

You will first have to get a non immigrant visa (non-o) entry before you apply for the extension of stay.

You can apply for a change of visa status from tourist visa to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry prior to the last 15 days of any of your 60 day entries (or 30 day extension) from your tourist visa. You do not have to wait for your visa to expire to do this.

You can only apply for the change at Bangkok immigration and a few nearby offices. It takes two trips to immigration 15 days apart to get visa/entry stamps.

If you have the 800k baht in the bank you could apply now for the change of visa status now.. You will need a letter from the bank confirming your balance and that the funds came from abroad plus copies of your updated bank book showing the 800k baht.

You could then apply for the extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Thanks

So what seems to be best is to wait till December then fly out to apply for the Non O. i.e. avoid the trips from Phang Nga to Bangkok

But on what basis do I apply for the non O - what documents do I need for that? What is the best embassy to go to if I fly?

Also my funds in the Thai bank came from when I previously worked in nThailand and so did not come from overseas - is that an issue?

Thanks

Thanks

So what seems to be best is to wait till December then fly out to apply for the Non O. i.e. avoid the trips from Phang Nga to Bangkok

But on what basis do I apply for the non O - what documents do I need for that? What is the best embassy to go to if I fly?

Also my funds in the Thai bank came from when I previously worked in nThailand and so did not come from overseas - is that an issue?

Thanks

You apply for a Non 'O' based on retirement. As long as you're over 50 all you need is provide proof of the 800k. It doesn't matter where the money came from.

It's really your choice where to go. Vientiane, Savannakhet or KL would probably be the short list.

From Phang Nga the best place to for the single entry non-o would be Penang Malaysia. You would just need your passport to prove your age and your bank book showing the 800k baht.

I don't recommend KL as a location to go to . They have turned people away.

From Phang Nga the best place to for the single entry non-o would be Penang Malaysia. You would just need your passport to prove your age and your bank book showing the 800k baht.

Ubonjoe would he not also need some form of residence certificate, contract etc.? Every time I renew my Retirement Extension CM asks for a copy of my house contract.

Ubonjoe would he not also need some form of residence certificate, contract etc.? Every time I renew my Retirement Extension CM asks for a copy of my house contract.

He will not need proof of residence to get the non-o visa in Penang, It is not the same as applying for an extension at immigration.

Non o from your contry only i think

800.000bts in a 6 months old accont 3 months before application

adress proof

Wrong info. The non-o visa can be from anywhere.

There is also no 6 month requirement. For the first extension the money has to be in the bank for 60 days. To get a visa the money just has to be in the bank.

He will not need proof of residence to get the non-o visa in Penang, It is not the same as applying for an extension at immigration.

Sorry Ubonjoe I meant for his retirement extention in Thailand.

1-Year Visa Extension

1) TM. 7

2) Passport

3) Copies of all passport pages

a) Sign all copies

4) Proof of income

a) From consulate

5) Bank letter (recent) from a Thai bank.

a) Show account number and balance for 3 months

6) Copies of bankbook(s)

7) Proof of residency

8) Photograph

9) Application fee of ฿1,900

Apart from the bank statement you will need a letter from the bank confirming that the money is there. The letter cannot be issued more than seven days before the application is submitted. Once the extension of stay based on retirement has been issued you can come and go as you please. If you are coming and going more than three times during the one year period of the extension of stay it is better to get a multiple entry visa. If you rely on single entry you have to get a reentry visa every time you leave Thailand. If you forget to obtain reentry visas the extension of stay becomes null and void and you have to start the process anew.

• Like 1

OP as the experts have correctly pointed out regarding applying of non imm O outside of thailand..you don't need a bank letter or proof of residence (you will for your extension in future). Just pointing out that I got my non O in Vientiane recently and the clerk was insisting on those two items. He eventually took the forms. Stapled my thai bankbook to passport. Picked up visa the next day.

Edited by jacksam

Slightly off topic this but glasswort seemed to be saying that if you extend a multiple entry, non-o visa, you can come and go without the need to get a re-entry permit whereas extend a single entry visa and you'll need a permit each time you leave the country. Have I got that right?

Slightly off topic this but glasswort seemed to be saying that if you extend a multiple entry, non-o visa, you can come and go without the need to get a re-entry permit whereas extend a single entry visa and you'll need a permit each time you leave the country. Have I got that right?

No!

An extension of stay , on its own, does not allow travel outside the Kingdom without a re-entry permit.

Nope.I think you're confusing single/multi entry visas with single/multi entry re-entry permits.

You can extend the stay granted with either a single or multi entry visa for 1 year. During that year you can come and go as often as you want with a re-entry permit. There are two types of re-entry permit. Single or multiple entry.

I think he was getting at the fact that a multi entry re-entry permit costs 3,800 baht compared to a single re-entry permit which is 1,000 baht. If you exit/enter 3 times or less during the year it's cheaper to get 3 single re-entry permits. 4 or more and a multi re-entry is more cost efficient.

• 1 month later...

question, why would they need a letter from my bank when they have all the evidence before them ie my bank book copies from the last 3 months, and i will do one on the same day, as i go to immigration. just askin , ?? thanks

question, why would they need a letter from my bank when they have all the evidence before them ie my bank book copies from the last 3 months, and i will do one on the same day, as i go to immigration. just askin , ?? thanks

Because the letter is required!

Do not attempt to secure an extension without the letter as you will risk being refused.

• Like 1