Where to see the Rugby World Cup in Ubon

FangFerang

I'm sure N-Joy Bar will be showing it as well (sponsored by rugby loving aussie, albeit more into the league code than union I suspect!)*

I just had a look at the live game schedule. Most of the matches fall within the kick-off times noted below (all British Summer Time except one of the semis, the bronze place final and the final proper - BST gives way to GMT on 25th October). So - means 6 hours later in Thailand (7 for those 3 ending matches). Times for most of the matches fall into one of four starts

12 noon (6pm Thailand)

2:30 pm (8:30pm)

4:45pm (10:45pm)

8.00pm (2:00am)

Quite a few games are at 8pm BST. Is ME Bar going to arrange any "special private parties"?

Anyone who is desperate to watch the rugby in the early hours of the morning and is prepared to book a hotel room to do so, the only hotel I know that will almost certainly have True Sport HD4 (Setanta) in it's TV package is Outside Inn - and then only in their slightly premium rooms (850 baht-ish) of which I think there are only a handful. Apologies if I am doing any hostelry down there but I have stayed in a lot of Ubon hotels from 500 baht ones to 1700 baht ones (stay in a different one each month for the last few years) and I have noted down inter-alia what they show by way of foreign language programming. Although top-of-the-range Sunnee Plaza has reasonable English sports cover for football I don't think they routinely have TSP HD4. Most of the good value 500 baht Ubon mansion style hotels and their newer 800 baht ish boutique brethren don't get anywhere near English language sports programming.

This posting appears as a public service message for Ubonites and rugby followers. All E&OE (ie may not be 100% correct, but I try). I have absolutely no affiliations/axes to grind, though our Ubon Hash does frequent N-Joy and Outside Inn reasonably frequently!!

*[Just to balance off yer blatant advertising OP (but useful info anyway so thanks for posting - I may pay you a visit particulalrly if England are doing well!)]

The assumption in my post above is that Setanta (True Sports HD4) is the location of the Rugby World Cup games. That was wrong - it is in fact Fox Sports 2 HD (Channel 689) on True Visions satellite. CTH satellite also carries that Fox Sports channel. It's premium programming on either satellite provider and I still doubt that many local hotels will carry it. The 2 rugby-friendly bars (and Outside Inn if you rent a room) are probably your best hope unless you can watch Fox Spots 2 at home.

That'll work for those "ubbonites" who live in meuang ubon and can thus get decent cable etc internet. Covers about 25% of Ubon expats IME! The rest are in villages struggling with TOT connections or worse. Streaming a waste of space.

Useful reminder nonetheless

Is that the only game you're gonna watch then BM?

Mind you the Rugby World Cup is one of the few sports tournaments when the final game of a long series rarely disappoints. Some fantastic rugby moments reserved for the final. France narrowly beating the ABs by 3 points in extra time. Wilkinson dumping Oz in the last 20 seconds of xtra time and the pure theatre of the "Mandela win" all spring to mind.

Rarely happens in eg the Football World Cup, though England's 66 win ("they think itr's all over ....") was also one of those iconic great moments.

I for one will be getting up in the middle of the night to see how much aggro and damage those huge thugs guys from Fiji can do to England's chances in a very tight Group.

Is that the only game you're gonna watch then BM?

Mind you the Rugby World Cup is one of the few sports tournaments when the final game of a long series rarely disappoints. Some fantastic rugby moments reserved for the final. France narrowly beating the ABs by 3 points in extra time. Wilkinson dumping Oz in the last 20 seconds of xtra time and the pure theatre of the "Mandela win" all spring to mind.

Rarely happens in eg the Football World Cup, though England's 66 win ("they think itr's all over ....") was also one of those iconic great moments.

I for one will be getting up in the middle of the night to see how much aggro and damage those huge thugs guys from Fiji can do to England's chances in a very tight Group.

I'll stay up or get up for the Big games (Eng v Wales, Aus, Fiji) and all Finals games, AB's will smash every team in their pool so will only watch the Argy game as it's at 10.45pm. France v Ireland in the last pool match should be a craker too. Although saying this Tonga v Georgia could be a blood fest.

Agree the final game is usually a beauty, except maybe for the 1987 cup.

Have heard the Fiji - Eng game starts on SKYSPORTS 2 at 2am, this is actually when the opening ceremony starts and the game to be played at 2.45am. Worth an extra hour of sleep if not interested in ceremony.